TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

mental health

Old 10-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
sleigher

sleigher is a jewel in the roughsleigher is a jewel in the rough
mental health

is it a bad idea/too heavy to start a thread about mental health?

oh wait - i already did - but srsly - does anyone else feel like talking about this shit +/or ways of dealing with it?
Old 10-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 can only hope to improve
Re: mental health

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
is it a bad idea/too heavy to start a thread about mental health?

oh wait - i already did - but srsly - does anyone else feel like talking about this shit +/or ways of dealing with it?
for me, exercise is huge.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
andyo812

andyo812 has a spectacular aura about

Exercise, diet, gut health, minimal drinking (for me), few quality vitamins and mineral supplements, yoga, morning journals, art and meaningful connection with other people are most of my tools. I’ve been invested (off and on) in learning and trying to help myself for the past four years or so. There’s a lot of information out there, both to our benefit and also detriment. For me I just really had to find what worked and stick with it. I actually love this topic so thanks for starting a thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Cooking mellows my mood. Also, marijuana and some beers. Walking the dog.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
gweeps
=

gweeps has a spectacular aura aboutgweeps has a spectacular aura about

Music helps. So do some friends and family members. And sleep. Healthy food/exercise, etc.. Having something to do each day, even if it's just chores. And something to look forward to, even if it's just an upcoming book/movie/CD, etc..

Don't isolate yourself. That's a bad idea.

If you take medication, take it until the dosage needs to be tweaked, and then get it properly adjusted. Therapy helps, but it's not for everybody.

It's simple but hard to remember sometimes: don't lose hope.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Music helps. So do some friends and family members. And sleep. Healthy food/exercise, etc.. Having something to do each day, even if it's just chores. And something to look forward to, even if it's just an upcoming book/movie/CD, etc..

Don't isolate yourself. That's a bad idea.

If you take medication, take it until the dosage needs to be tweaked, and then get it properly adjusted. Therapy helps, but it's not for everybody.

It's simple but hard to remember sometimes: don't lose hope.
I did therapy for 10 years. It was helpful for the hard times but more often it was just chit chat I was paying too much for. I was also on medication (xanax) for those same 10 years. I winged myself off those because I eventually didn't like how they altered my mood.

I think having a good routine is very healthy.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to all

for the last 5 years or so i try to use the methods learned in DBT

being mindful

and focusing on things that sooth me....fill my cup so to speak...and do so in a fashion that is not distracting or selfish...because i have a family it's important to continually maintain that balance.

i've heard talkspace is a good "app" that puts you in touch w/ therapists via the phone or app....how cool?

i currently see a counselor every 2-3 weeks to talk about "my shit"

i don't use any meds. i refuse to use although that's just for me. i do know some people have to use them.

i stay active in my life....exercise, sport, family, community, work and outdoors stuff.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 can only hope to improve

i go for long hikes, sometimes with friends, sometimes by myself. The solitude in the woods while pushing my body is a great soothing feeling.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

I went to therapy off and on for years from the time I was like 11 until I was 26. I found that therapy didn't help me at all until I was able to do some deep internal searching and accept a lot of things about myself and be honest with myself basically. I mean, if I can't even be honest with myself how am I ever supposed to be honest with someone else?

I was on and off meds throughout my teen years. Some of them helped a bit, some of them really didn't do anything. When I got to college I went off them but started smoking weed regularly and found that helped me maintain a nice balance. I started going to my "current" therapist when I was 22. I would go off and on depending on how things in my life were going. I saw her pretty regularly when I was about 23 and one of my friends was diagnosed with cancer and almost died. Then I found I just liked her insight a lot, and she was super easy to talk to so I would go when I felt I needed that. The last time I went with any form of regularity was in 2014 after a terrible break up. Otherwise I call her on an as-needed basis.

In the meantime I feel I am in a really healthy place. I still regularly smoke weed, but I'm also on much better terms with my family and I know I can talk to my mom or dad about anything. I also have a really solid group of friends for the first time in my life and that has also made a difference even though I recently moved 3 hours away from them for a job. But I still go back home pretty regularly and hang out with them. I've been in a small depression for the last couple months, but nothing out of hand. A lot has happened to me in a really short time span. I call people I trust and care about regularly and have started exercising and crafting to pass time and that has been good for me.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
i go for long hikes, sometimes with friends, sometimes by myself. The solitude in the woods while pushing my body is a great soothing feeling.
Yeah. Sometimes getting away form it all is the best option. Next weekend I am going out into the desert for 4 days off the grid.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
sleigher

thanks to EVERYONE who has shared their stories and support

it means a lot and is definitely appreciated!

ive been having major anxiety/panic attacks for the past few yrs - started happening when i was 39 [im about to turn 42] and i wasnt able to understand why - started seeing a therapist and told them i wanted to chase down the reasons for my attacks - they were more of the mindset of being able to control them or handle them as they happened - i didnt agree so i stopped going - i didnt want that to be my new normal and i didnt want to just 'maintain'

started journaling about my life and along the way something was coming undone and during a recent visit with my family doctor it became clear that i was abused as a kid - also learned shortly thereafter ive got ptsd from being told that i was possessed by a demon while growing up in the church

so now im doing a lot more journaling and a dear friend has shared two books with me - the body keeps the score and complex ptsd: from surviving to thriving

i recently found a really really awesome dog that keeps me responsible and in service to another living thing - helps with routine and my mood when im low - we go on walks in the woods and hes incredibly plaful so he has been a huge benefit to me

im struggling to actually exercise though i know i desperately need to

eating healthy is not a problem as i prefer brussels sprouts over brownies

music is of course a huge help - anxiety by isbell was a dart to the heart the first time i heard it - made me feel like someone finally nailed what its like and didnt feel so alone

okay - thats enough rambling for now

but thanks again to all you good people - yer the best!

ps - that desert trip sounds amazing Jack!
Old 10-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

Bright Eyes - If the Brakeman Turns My Way

"When panic grips your body and your heart is a hummingbird
Raven thoughts blacken your mind until you're breathing in reverse
All your friends and sedatives mean well, but make it worse
Every reassurance just magnifies the doubt
Better find yourself a place to level out"
Old 10-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
andyo812

Headspace is also a good app for meditation. Very simple and geared towards beginners.

A friend of mine once told me during a struggle to focus on ‘Doing the next right thing’. If that’s the dishes or a task you need to do or just getting out of bed; it’s helped me a lot in continuing to progress even when it feels impossible. I think building momentum slowly and establishing positive habits is huge for those of us who experience depression / anxiety.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #14
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
i've heard talkspace is a good "app" that puts you in touch w/ therapists via the phone or app....how cool?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
Headspace is also a good app for meditation. Very simple and geared towards beginners.
gonna download these apps today - thanks gentlemen!
Old 10-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

I've heard talkspace is good, but it costs money. I think like 35 a week or something. Some of my podcasts promote it and have discount codes. "Garage" might work as a discount code if you try it.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #16
JackStark211

I have always suffered from high anxiety. I don't show on the outside that I am totally freaking on the inside, so I have never had to explain to people that I am having an attack. Anxiety is one of the worst things. That was one of the main reason I was taking the xanax. I have learned how to deal with it without the medication over the years. When an attack does come on full force I have to have gum on me. I find chewing gum and excusing myself form other for a little walk calms me down. I hope that you find your method.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteEver View Post
I've heard talkspace is good, but it costs money. I think like 35 a week or something. Some of my podcasts promote it and have discount codes. "Garage" might work as a discount code if you try it.
thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I have always suffered from high anxiety. I don't show on the outside that I am totally freaking on the inside, so I have never had to explain to people that I am having an attack. Anxiety is one of the worst things. That was one of the main reason I was taking the xanax. I have learned how to deal with it without the medication over the years. When an attack does come on full force I have to have gum on me. I find chewing gum and excusing myself form other for a little walk calms me down. I hope that you find your method.
my method for the past few yrs was having a massive anxiety/panic attack but thinking it was an oncoming heart attack and calling 911 for an ambulance to take me to the emergency room - after doing that seven or ten times a nurse finally decided to take my claim of 'heart attack' seriously [or maybe to clear my head of any such thought] and referred me to a cardiologist who did an echogardiogram and a stress test and hooked me up to a portable heart monitor for two weeks - obviously all that came back negative for heart attack so i finally did what i shouldve done from jump street and saw a therapist - unfortunately my insurance changed shortly after starting and i could no longer afford the sessions - later i found another but that went south real quick

i truly love that something as simple as a stick of gum and a walk can relieve the stress and strain of anxiety - i appreciate the kind words Jack - ill let you know when i find my new method!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Yup... I've definitely had my share of anxiety and moments of depression, mostly related to instability in my workplace.

I do take ciprolex, which have had prescriptions on and off since 2004. Small dosage. I don't feel it, but it seems to help.

Exercise... I try to run 2-4 times a week.

I do see a therapist from time to time.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #19
ViolaGal

ViolaGal has a spectacular aura aboutViolaGal has a spectacular aura about

Same to all the above, I could write word for word what others have already said.

But I think the most helpful things for me have been regular exercise (which can be a challenge with my schedule) and I quit drinking a few years ago and I really noticed how much more even my moods were. I didn't even quit drinking for mental or addiction reasons, I quit for two weeks to see if it helped my headaches, and after two weeks I decided to try for a month, and I just got on a roll and kept going. I drank a little this summer (sometimes it's hard to resist that pilsner on the patio on a hot summer evening) and it was obvious to me that I'm better as a non-drinker, so I quit again. But I seem to have much less anxiety when I don't drink. The drinking created a roller coaster for my moods, waking up anxious for no reason, and feeling physically sick even after just 3 beers. (I should mention I live in Utah and our local beers are all 3.2 alcohol, so three beers for me is less than it would be if I were sucking down local brews in another state.) I didn't even know it was adding to the problem til I quit. Truthfully I assume it's the alcohol, but I suppose it could be the sugar, too.

And dogs are better than any prescription.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #20
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to allthebalvenie is a name known to all

this cracked me up
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #21
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
this cracked me up
that cant be real! is it? it cant be - but is it?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #22
andyo812

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post

And dogs are better than any prescription.

I saw a tweet once that said ‘Stop complaining about your life, there are people out there who are literally allergic to dogs’ Haha.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #23
ViolaGal

Quote:
I saw a tweet once that said ‘Stop complaining about your life, there are people out there who are literally allergic to dogs’ Haha.
Omg that would be the worst!!
Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 AM   #24
sleigher

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
Omg that would be the worst!!
im allergic to my dog

true story
Old 10-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #25
ViolaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
im allergic to my dog

true story
But you still have the dog? So that's good, yes??
Sponsored Links