TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2009 Albums Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Patty Griffin - Downtown Church (date tbc)

Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Patty Griffin - Downtown Church (date tbc)

Hallelujah - Patty is releasing a new album this year, rumoured to be a collection of gospel covers. The album was recorded in the Downtown Presbyterian Church in Nashville, hence the title. Buddy Miller is the producer, Emmylou Harris is on harmony vocals throughout. Rumoured release date is May 19, but I can't find official confirmation of that as yet.

I really enjoyed the gospel tracks on Children Running Through, so I am looking forward to this very much.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 04-01-2009 at 05:58 PM..
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patty Griffin - Downtown Church (May 19 (?) date tbc)

Seems this has been rescheduled for an August 11 release now, although there is still no official confirmation of any date at all.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

thanks for the info syd! I somehow missed this when you first posted it.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
thanks for the info syd! I somehow missed this when you first posted it.
No worries - I just hope it comes out sometime this year.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

A woman who runs a homeless shelter from an office in the church was allowed to hang around and listen to the recording. She also took a couple of snaps. Interesting architecture.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Old 05-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Re: Patty Griffin - Downtown Church ( date tbc)

The Patty Central site is now saying (unofficially)this won't be released until 2010

Patty’s upcoming album of gospel songs was recorded earlier this year in the sanctuary of the Downtown Presbyterian Church in Nashville and is being produced by Buddy Miller. A release date (early 2010 according to a comment made by Patty at a recent show) should be announced soon. Based on recent live performance by Patty, it appears that songs on the album will likely include “Wade In The Water”, “If I Had My Way, I Would Tear This Building Down”, “We Shall All Be Reunited”, “Waiting For My Child To Come Home” (reportedly with Regina McCrary and Mike Farris providing supporting vocals), “Strange Man” (written by Dorothy Love Coates), “Move On Up In Glory”, “House of Gold (written by Hank Williams), “You’re Coming Home to Me” (a new Patty original?) and more.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Re: Patty Griffin - Downtown Church (date tbc)

Some live versions of tracks from the new album:

http://pattycentral.com/2009/07/01/downtown-church/
Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Some live versions of tracks from the new album:

http://pattycentral.com/2009/07/01/downtown-church/
Very cool! Thanks for that. I love her so much.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

A couple of new tracks up on her My Space. Including a sample of "Chalk" written by Buddy and Julie Miller.

http://www.myspace.com/pattygriffin
Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
Wettelander

Wettelander will become famous soon enough

"Chalk" is off of Buddy and Julie's album Written in Chalk.

Downtown Church was delayed because of Buddy Miller's heart bypass surgery. He is producing Patty's album. Hopefully DC will be released before the end of this year with a new album of Patty originals to be released in early 2010.
Wettelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettelander View Post
"Chalk" is off of Buddy and Julie's album Written in Chalk.

Downtown Church was delayed because of Buddy Miller's heart bypass surgery. He is producing Patty's album. Hopefully DC will be released before the end of this year with a new album of Patty originals to be released in early 2010.
Great, thanks for the info. We might have two albums to look forward to now
Old 09-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Wettelander

Sorry about the wrong info on Downtown Church.
Here's a little newer info. Hope this stays firm.

Scheduled for release on January 26, 2010.

There will be a total of 14 tracks. A special treat will be the inclusion of the lively Spanish classic, "Virgen de Guadalupe".

I'm looking forward to this but the album of originals even moreso.

PattyCentral

PattyNet
Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

gorgeous cover art!

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Looks good. I'm stoked for a new album of originals too. Florida came up on my iPod yesterday and it struck me for about the 1000th time what a brilliant songwriter Patty is.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
Wettelander

You can listen to Patty's finished version of Waiting For My Child To Come Home on this page. It'll be on the new album.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
La Cienega
la la la la la

move to 2010 forum?

last.fm
Old 12-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
move to 2010 forum?
I already made a new thread in the 2010 forum with the confirmed release date. I've pre-ordered the album too
Old 12-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #20
littleamen

Quote:
gorgeous cover art!
agreed
Sponsored Links