TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2009 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Wooden Sky - If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone

Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
The Wooden Sky - If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone

I purchased this album based on hilde's recommendation of the band - and it's terrific. Highly recommended for fans of unpolished roots/alt-country/whatever you want to call it.

Quote:
Once known as Friday Morningís Regret, an ode to the sins committed by University students, Torontoís newest alt-country sensation have regrouped as The Wooden Sky and have taken a step in the solemn yet earnest direction. Lead singer Gavin Gardiner commands If I Donít Come Home Youíll Know Iím Gone, with a penetrating, at times baritone voice that evokes Tom Petty and his countrified and easily identifiable tales of woe.

But donít be fooled, there is nothing depressing about If I Donít Come Home Youíll Know Iím Gone. Itís a record that finds itís footing early on and keeps the pace for 13 tracks with constant, immeasurably smooth rhythms and deftly placed, campfire-ready melodies.

The production on If I Donít Come Home Youíll Know Iím Gone, shines on ďMy Old Ghosts,Ē a staunchly Canadian track that would pair well with some kind of gentle river and the introspection that often comes with standing beside one.

Never afraid to turn things up, The Wooden Sky brim with more classic Canadiana with bustling and building guitars on ďLock And Key.Ē With solos that would make a gypsy who has an ear for detail proud, If I Donít Come Home Youíll Know Iím Gone might just be the perfect soundtrack for a wandering, gypsy type soul. If I Donít Come Home Youíll Know Iím Gone moves with a brooding clarity, showcasing a band that isnít afraid to move in any direction they please.

By Joshua Kloke
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Wooden Sky - If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone

Oh My God (It Still Means A Lot To Me)

Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Were you able to find their first album? I have that one and really like it, but haven't checked this one out yet.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Were you able to find their first album? I have that one and really like it, but haven't checked this one out yet.
Yeppers, Amazon has it. I've ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I found a more detailed review of this album.

Quote:
The Wooden Sky takes all the best elements of the indie roots/folk/country spectrum and adds in an assortment of other embellishments to create an innovative form of the genre.

Many of the tracks on the record are rooted firmly in the traditional styles. The album opener, "Oh My God (It Still Means A Lot To Me)", is well done standard alt.country, complete with banjo, harmonica, and lovely harmony vocals. The twangy lament quotient is filled by the Blue Rodeo-esque "An Evening Hymn". We're treated to a tender duet with weeping guitars in "Oslo". The band even gives us a dose of Drive-By Trucker-like indie Southern Rock with "When We Were Young".

Where the band truly excels however is when they incorporate unexpected styles into their aural presentation. It's impossible to ignore The Animals' '60s psychedelic garage on "Angels". "My Old Ghosts" starts as a Bright Eyes-soundalike until The Wooden Sky thunders down an art rock clatter. Similarly, "Call If You Need Me" begins as a pedestrian rootsy number before building into an Arcade Fire-style frenzy.

But there's yet another dimension to The Wooden Sky. It's the pop sensibility that's revealed on "The Late King Henry", a song which boasts one of the most infectious singalongs in roots music in recent memory.

If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone is a well-crafted piece of art that retains an impressive experimental soul.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

sounds good.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

I was just told that they are one of the Starbucks CDs of the week (or whatever you call those CDs and the till). But I'm sure that's just Canada.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

In Studio at the National Post: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ooden-sky.aspx
Old 11-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

CBC Q podcast. They are the musical guest, so I'm not sure in what part (or parts) they play.

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/qpodcast_20091116_23130.mp3
Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Interesting to hear a solo acoustic version of When We Were Young, thanks.
Here's the album version:

Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up on this. Album is pretty fantastic.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this. Album is pretty fantastic.
I've been listening to their debut album When Lost At Sea for the past couple of days and I can recommend it as well. It's more traditionally alt-country than If You Don't Come Home ( less pop and experimental touches) and the production is more stripped back. A couple of songs remind me a little of something from Strangers Almanac.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

I just ordered this from maple music. I've been listening to some of their stuff on last.fm this evening and definitely love it. Thanks for the recommendation, Syd & Hilde!

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I was just talking to the father of the lead singer of The Wooden Sky, and this record got on the long list for the Polaris Music Prize (the Canadian version of the UK's Mercury Prize).

http://www.polarismusicprize.ca/
Old 06-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I was just talking to the father of the lead singer of The Wooden Sky, and this record got on the long list for the Polaris Music Prize (the Canadian version of the UK's Mercury Prize).

http://www.polarismusicprize.ca/
I see Justin Rutledges' The Early Widows and Amelia Currans' Hunter, Hunter are on there too. Three excellent albums.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Daytrotter Session: http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/the-woo...-37382376.html

Last edited by hildegoat; 10-05-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Old 04-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

You know you've made it when you get on MTV Cribs:

Sponsored Links