TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2015 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall (May 4)

Old 03-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
BigNosedDago
The Golden Jew

BigNosedDago is a jewel in the roughBigNosedDago is a jewel in the rough
My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall (May 4)

Quote:
Today is the day My Morning Jacket have been waiting for as the Louisville rockers have not only announced details of their new record, The Waterfall, but have also announced a lengthy World Tour in support the album.

The Waterfall, MMJ's seventh full-length studio album as well as first since 2011's Circuital, is due May 4 via ATO Records/Capitol Records. The new LP marks the group's first on Capitol Records. Today's announcement includes the new album's cover art, full tracklist and the release of The Waterfall's first single - "Big Decisions." Fans who pre-order the new album will receive an instant download of "Big Decisions." Take a listen to the new single:
http://www.vevo.com/watch/my-morning...9/USUMV1500080

My Morning Jacket's extensive tour in support of The Waterfall is currently scheduled to start at the Georgia Theatre in Athens on May 15. The lengthy tour includes a mix of headlining dates and festival appearances. The U.S. portion of the run includes a three-night stand at the Chicago Theatre, two nights at The Fox in Atlanta, a series of amphitheater dates and many other shows. See a full list of dates below. A fan club pre-sale goes live on March 9 followed by the general on- sales on March 13.

As for The Waterfall, Jim James & Co. recorded the bulk of the album at Northern California's Stinson Beach in late 2013. “For me, every record has the spirit of where we made it,” explained singer, guitarist, and primary songwriter Jim James in a press release. “Stinson Beach was so psychedelic and focused. It was almost like we lived on our own little moon out there. It feels like you’re up in the sky.” The album is said to sound like noting else but also warmly familiar. “That’s kind of the sound of this record, and my life, the sound of the page turning and not being sure what’s coming next,” said James. “The freedom we went into this record with took a lot of the pressure off, as far as what to do and how to do it,” drummer Patrick Hallahan added about the MMJ/Tucker Martine co-production. “The mantra was anything goes, no stone unturned, it’ll be done when it’s done.” In addition to the Stinson Beach sessions, MMJ recorded at Martine’s Portland, Oregon studio Flora and at La La Land studio in Louisville.
Quote:
The Waterfall Tracklist

Believe (Nobody Knows)
Compound Fracture
Like A River
In Its Infancy (The Waterfall)
Get The Point
Spring (Among the Living)
Thin Line
Big Decisions
Tropics (Erase Traces)
Only Memories Remain
BigNosedDago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
BigNosedDago
The Golden Jew

BigNosedDago is a jewel in the roughBigNosedDago is a jewel in the rough
Re: My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall (May 4)

The horns remind me of some of DMBs production on recent albums, which is totally not a good thing.
BigNosedDago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

DMB is no good. I'll give this track a listen after I get home from the pub.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Single is meh. Hoping for the best on this one, though.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 AM   #5
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
Single is meh. Hoping for the best on this one, though.
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:31 AM   #6
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, wasn't blown away by this, but I love MMJ in general and always have time for Jim James and his worldview. Will still pick it up.
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
SlowMovinOutlaw

SlowMovinOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

I really like MMJ but their deluxe vinyl releases are always like $80. I usually try to get an artist's deluxe packages but I'm only dropping that kind of skrill on some seriously good isht. I still don't have Circuital cuz I been holding out for green wax at a good price. Guess there are plenty of bigger fans than me willing to pay up. Just gripin'...
SlowMovinOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:02 AM   #8
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I've never been hugely interested in MMJ, but this perked my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XItflSaDmkA

(I don't know how to embed YT videos, please help.)
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
I've never been hugely interested in MMJ, but this perked my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XItflSaDmkA

(I don't know how to embed YT videos, please help.)

(it's [ yt ] [whatever is after the = in the youtube url [ /yt ])

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Quote:
On today's All Songs Considered, we're hitting you with several premieres, beginning a heavy cut from My Morning Jacket's latest studio album, The Waterfall. On "Believe (Nobody Knows)," front man Jim James seeks meaning and truth in an uncertain world, while hosts Bob Boilen and Robin Hilton consider a life of possibilities.
Listen Here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...ng-jacket-more
Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I am enjoying this album after having heard it again at a friends house over the holiday.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I think it's pretty solid