TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion > 2016 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Painkillers - Brian Fallon

Old 03-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough
Painkillers - Brian Fallon

Apprehensively picked this up yesterday and took it for a spin. I gotta say, pretty underwhelmed. Like very. I love most all Gaslight stuff (yes, I even found things to enjoy on Get Hurt - Underneath The Ground is a great song, re-check it!), and think Elsie by The Horrible Crowes is fucking excellent, but I was still hella sceptical on a Brian Fallon solo album. And, unfortunately, I was right to be. Painkillers is very much a case of diminishing returns, for me. Fallon's lyrics, which on the right Gaslight/Horrible Crowes track would make every hair on your body stand on end, now read as borderline self-parody (looking back, driving, icons from the past, Rosemary, etc) and his songwriting feels samey and undercooked. Say what you will about Get Hurt, but at least the band were attempting to do something different and try new things. Yeah, not everything stuck, but I did return to key tracks on that album a lot more than I predict I will with anything really on Painkillers. Sure, I guess you could argue that Painkillers IS Brian Fallon, what else was he gonna make, etc, but for me it just sounds like dude is spinning his wheels (in a boring way, not in a cool Steve McQueen way).

Anyone else listened to this yet? Am I way off the mark, here? I'm keen to hear what other fans are thinking.
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
themidnighter

themidnighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Painkillers - Brian Fallon

Uhm, I have mixed feelings about this record. Some amazing tracks, this guy can write a song (painkillers, nobody wins, rosemary, honey magnolia...).
On the other hand, I don't know, some of the MATZ songs I like their previous version way better.
All and all it's a radio friendly record, and it's a happy record. It's not a bad thing, but I'm not sure that is what I really want to listen right now.
themidnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
JerseyPride

JerseyPride has a spectacular aura about

I'm totally digging this record from start to finish. Love it.
JerseyPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:47 PM   #4
.josh.

.josh. is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Anyone else listened to this yet? Am I way off the mark, here? I'm keen to hear what other fans are thinking.
Not off the mark at all man - I basically feel the exact same way.
.josh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by .josh. View Post
Not off the mark at all man - I basically feel the exact same way.
Righton. I thought I was just wanking into the wind, but nice to hear. And I gotta clarify, I don't hate this thing. It's catchy. It's poppy. It's alright. But I'm more looking forward to hearing what he puts out next, y'know.
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
.josh.

Quote:
Righton. I thought I was just wanking into the wind, but nice to hear. And I gotta clarify, I don't hate this thing. It's catchy. It's poppy. It's alright. But I'm more looking forward to hearing what he puts out next, y'know.
I wouldn't say I hate it, just underwhelmed and really can't get into it like some of his other stuff. I'm sure it'll get some rotation, but far less than something like '59 Sound does. Was happy to hear Brian leave the door open to another Gaslight album in a recent interview.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
themidnighter

themidnighter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by .josh. View Post
I'm sure it'll get some rotation, but far less than something like '59 Sound does.
Nothing will ever be like the 59 sound, and the kid that wrote this record is way too different now to write anything close to it anyway.

It's something else, and the more I listen to it, the more I like it.
themidnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

I'm seeing him in KC tomorrow night. Will be curious to see how it translates live.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
.josh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themidnighter View Post
Nothing will ever be like the 59 sound, and the kid that wrote this record is way too different now to write anything close to it anyway.
I get that - I wasn't implying he should recreate '59, just that I didn't really connect with this album.

To each his own man. Not a bad album, just didn't really do it for me.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #10
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting for Wok to weigh in on this one.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #11
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Good solid album. A real grower. Nothing like Elsie or 59' Sound and the impact those albums have.

Saw him in Minneapolis and the show exceeded my expectations. Ian gets to play the main guitar and he is so much better than Alex. You could tell Brian and the band were in good spirits. About 1/2 Elsie and 1/2 Painkillers as the setlist.

Painkillers Highlights: Rosemary, Nobody Wins, Steve McQueen, Smoke, Red Lights
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:03 PM   #12
andyo812

andyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to all

Quote:
Apprehensively picked this up yesterday and took it for a spin. I gotta say, pretty underwhelmed. Like very. I love most all Gaslight stuff (yes, I even found things to enjoy on Get Hurt - Underneath The Ground is a great song, re-check it!), and think Elsie by The Horrible Crowes is fucking excellent, but I was still hella sceptical on a Brian Fallon solo album. And, unfortunately, I was right to be. Painkillers is very much a case of diminishing returns, for me. Fallon's lyrics, which on the right Gaslight/Horrible Crowes track would make every hair on your body stand on end, now read as borderline self-parody (looking back, driving, icons from the past, Rosemary, etc) and his songwriting feels samey and undercooked. Say what you will about Get Hurt, but at least the band were attempting to do something different and try new things. Yeah, not everything stuck, but I did return to key tracks on that album a lot more than I predict I will with anything really on Painkillers. Sure, I guess you could argue that Painkillers IS Brian Fallon, what else was he gonna make, etc, but for me it just sounds like dude is spinning his wheels (in a boring way, not in a cool Steve McQueen way).

Late to this thread but...

Its been interesting watching Brian evolve a bit. I loved Gaslight (like in my top three) but also have enjoyed this run. Brian recently said there would eventually be another Gaslight record and also that he'll begin writing a new solo record this tour. I enjoyed the acoustic versions of Smoke and Open All Night. I agree whole heartedly about Get Hurt as well. Also loved the alt version of Stray Paper solo with harp.

https://youtu.be/LlNSFGgeKAw

https://youtu.be/J9ykW3D9ykw

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #13
andyo812

andyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to all

Hes recording in New Orleans now. Stoked.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #14
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
Hes recording in New Orleans now. Stoked.

Yeah finally! feel like he's been working on demos for nearly year lmao
Old 06-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #15
andyo812

While i still hope this is a good record, I hope this also nudges him back towards Gaslight.

Sponsored Links