TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Eels invite GWB, the Queen to concerts

Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of
Eels invite GWB, the Queen to concerts

Quote:
Billboard

Eels frontman Mark "E" Everett has high hopes that President George W. Bush and the First Lady can make it to the band's Washington D.C. concert on March 29; the singer/songwriter wrote a lengthy personal invitation to the pair.

"You may recall using our album 'Daisies of the Galaxy' as an example during your campaign for the presidency in 2000," Everett wrote in his invitation. "The album was supposed to be a bad example for the kids of America," he continued, referring to the statement the Bush camp issued when they found out DreamWorks reps were giving out promotional copies of the album at that year's Democratic National Convention. "Mr. President, I know that you're a Christian, and Christ taught forgiveness. So in the spirit of forgiveness and fence-mending, I'd like to let bygones be bygones..."

The show is "right down the road from you at the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue," Everett's deadpan letter explained. "If you're more comfortable at a different house of worship, we're also doing concerts at church in Philadelphia and New Haven the nights before and after the D.C. show. In the name of tolerance, we are trying to represent many faiths on this tour."

E made a similar extension to the Queen of England Elizabeth II last month as he toured in the U.K. "We've played the Festival Hall several times and I've noticed that your royal box is usually empty. I'd like to change that," E said.

The notes to both the President and the Queen also mentioned his book "Things the Grandchildren Should Know," which hits stands in the U.S. this fall. The volume has already been released in the U.K. and it may be worth noting that, while Everett offered the Queen a signed copy, he made no proposition to the President.

Everett did however offer to send Bush signed copies of the Eels' two retrospective collections, "Meet the Eels: Essential Eels Vol. 1" and "Eels Useless Trinkets," both released in January by DreamWorks/Geffen/Ume. "These tracks can be loaded on to your Presidential iPod as well."

"lf you're busy, I understand, but I wanted to put it out there: Let's forgive and forget. lt's the only way to change the world," he finished.

Eels will be on tour in North America March 28 through April 17.
I started listening to the Eels because of this. Blinking Lights and Other Revelations is really good so far.

My favorite part: "We've played the Festival Hall several times and I've noticed that your royal box is usually empty. I'd like to change that,"
SkortBrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of
Re: Eels invite GWB, the Queen to concerts

Has anyone seen the Eels? What are they like live? They're touring here in April and I'm wondering whether I should go.

I remember reading a review for the last time they toured here. I think it was after the encore, the stage lights were off and it seemed that the show was over, but then Mark came back onstage in his pyjamas holding a flashlight and did another set.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I am going for two reasons:
1) Though I have a passing interest in Eels, two of my friends in two completely different circles have both raved about how awesome Eels are live.
2) I just scored a ticket to see them in Melbourne next month. Front and center, no less.

They did do the post-encore, lights-up, make-it-look-like-we're-gone-but-come-back-and-play-some-more-in-pyjamas bit last time they were here. My friend who attended was very impressed and amused. Then again, she sort of wants to have E's babies.

In response to the whole Queen's attendance, did anyone see this?

Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth II, was unable to attend the recent EELS performance at London's Royal Festival Hall. EELS leader E reveals to NME that he received a letter from Buckingham Palace informing him that The Queen was unable to attend. "This is the fourth time we've played Royal Festival Hall, and I was determined to see a queen sitting in the royal box this time," says E, "so we got The Queen's lookalike, and everyone on my staff and at the hall was instructed to play along and let me have my fantasy. It was truly a thrill to have The Queen in attendance. And she loved the show, by the way."
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Thanks, ishellmay
I went ahead and bought myself a ticket yesterday - I kind of clicked the "submit payment" button before I realised what I was doing.