TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 09-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #3376
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
That's from the sessions of Jenny Lewis' most recent record. Everything he's posting is old. Maybe the selfies are new, I can't keep track of those.
I saw a few posts of him in the studio and wondered if he was recording again. Then I started noticing a lot of it looked like paxam...and that studio is no more as far as I know. So it looks like that was all old footage too.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #3377
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

He still has Pax-Am, as far as I know. He was installing new equipment in it while people were speculating that he was leaving. But all the videos he's posting are old, and I don't know if he ever found new people to play with him. He literally lost everyone, and I don't know if he's gonna find another Charlie Stavish to report every night while he fucks around.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #3378
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Quote:
He still has Pax-Am, as far as I know. He was installing new equipment in it while people were speculating that he was leaving. But all the videos he's posting are old, and I don't know if he ever found new people to play with him. He literally lost everyone, and I don't know if he's gonna find another Charlie Stavish to report every night while he fucks around.
Not everyone. The last few weeks he's posted about hanging with Chris Stills, Don Was, and Jesse Malin has said some nice things about him lately. Whether those videos/pictures are new or old, I'm not sure, but they look newer to me. I don't think everyone has quite turned their back on him, friends or fans.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #3379
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

I was referring to the crew that hung out with him at Pax-Am. Todd, Charlie, Brendan McCusker, Aaron Ficca, Marshall Vore, Nate Lotz.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #3380
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. I had heard he moved everything out and then never heard anything else about it, so I just assumed.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:20 AM   #3381
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Quote:
I was referring to the crew that hung out with him at Pax-Am. Todd, Charlie, Brendan McCusker, Aaron Ficca, Marshall Vore, Nate Lotz.
Quite frankly, he's probably better off without them. Is Todd still in witness protection?
Old 09-21-2019, 02:19 AM   #3382
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Charlie already left before everything went down. He has got his own studio.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #3383
folkjam

I didn’t say everyone left because of the article.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #3384
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

Ok.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #3385
CrossedOutName

CrossedOutName is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally missed any kinda talk about him moving out of Pax Am. Where and what was said to suggest that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrossedOutName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #3386
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

The 7/11 owner across the street to a friend of a boarder here.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #3387
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

When Bridgers was 20, shortly before she got a manager and signed with the indie label Dead Oceans, she met musician and producer Ryan Adams, then almost 40. Their relationship started out professional, with him expressing an interest in helping her record her music. It quickly turned romantic, until it wasn't. She went on to write “Motion Sickness”—a catchy, eviscerating breakup anthem in which she sweetly sings, I faked it every time, but that's all right—about him. (In the video for the song, she zips to a karaoke bar on a scooter, wearing a black suit and tie accessorized with a bike helmet. “I love women in suits. I feel like all my references for it were like PJ Harvey or all these beautiful, hot, tiny women in suits,” she says, “When I put it on I was like, oh my god I look pathetic. I wanted to create kind of a pathetic character.”)

In February the New York Times published an article with extensive accusations against Adams for a host of emotionally and sexually abusive behavior, including sending explicit messages to an underage girl. Bridgers told the paper that Adams had become obsessive and controlling soon after they had slept together and rescinded his offer to have her open for him on a European tour when she ended the relationship. The morning I was due to meet Bridgers, I opened Twitter to discover that Adams had broken his silence for the first time since his initial response, denying the allegations in the Times story five months prior. “I have a lot to say. I am going to. Soon. Because the truth matters,” he wrote. “All the beauty in a life cannot be reduced to rubble for lies.”

When I ask her how she's feeling about Adams's sudden resurgence, Bridgers shakes her head and offers up an exasperated smile. “He can go fuck off.”

“I just hope everybody is okay,” she elaborates. “He's, as Orson Welles would say, ‘such a pest.’ I feel like the anger I have about it is just for other people. I'm just like, Go the fuck away, dude.” When I muse about the inconvenient timing of Adams resurfacing, Bridgers has exactly two words: “Retrograde, dude.” She's referring to the astrological concept of Mercury retrograde, the period when a planet appears to be traveling backward in the sky, which can dredge up unwanted people from the past.

Bridgers feels like she's in a solidly better place now than when she was 21—bus hit-and-runs during therapy included. “It's so much more fun to live in my body,” she says. “I'm better at acting out the things that make me happy now.”

“I think for a while I also looked for relationships where someone would tell me where to stand. I wanted someone to tell me how to be,” she adds. “I certainly am fucking over that.”

Read on:https://www.gq.com/story/phoebe-brid...ious-astrology
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #3388
hi_there

hi_there has a spectacular aura abouthi_there has a spectacular aura about

Looking forward to her next record. Such a great talent.
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #3389
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm giving her record a spin now and it's hypnotically good. Really nice. It has the same appeal as Neko Case, but I'm more drawn the somber moods Bridgers creates.

The article is kind of flippant and she has similar quotability to RA. Kind of a bummer that she just wants everyone to be OK, but RA can fuck off and is a pest. Not helping...
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #3390
Shadowlands96

Shadowlands96 is on a distinguished road

Her collaboration with Connor Oberst, Better Oblivion Community Center, is really good, especially the song "Dylan Thomas."
Shadowlands96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #3391
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands96 View Post
Her collaboration with Connor Oberst, Better Oblivion Community Center, is really good, especially the song "Dylan Thomas."
I can't stand that track.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #3392
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands96 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
having a rough day - this made me smile - thanks jack!
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #3393
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

You are welcome. Hope the day improves.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #3394
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
When Bridgers was 20, shortly before she got a manager and signed with the indie label Dead Oceans, she met musician and producer Ryan Adams, then almost 40. Their relationship started out professional, with him expressing an interest in helping her record her music. It quickly turned romantic, until it wasn't. She went on to write “Motion Sickness”—a catchy, eviscerating breakup anthem in which she sweetly sings, I faked it every time, but that's all right—about him. (In the video for the song, she zips to a karaoke bar on a scooter, wearing a black suit and tie accessorized with a bike helmet. “I love women in suits. I feel like all my references for it were like PJ Harvey or all these beautiful, hot, tiny women in suits,” she says, “When I put it on I was like, oh my god I look pathetic. I wanted to create kind of a pathetic character.”)

In February the New York Times published an article with extensive accusations against Adams for a host of emotionally and sexually abusive behavior, including sending explicit messages to an underage girl. Bridgers told the paper that Adams had become obsessive and controlling soon after they had slept together and rescinded his offer to have her open for him on a European tour when she ended the relationship. The morning I was due to meet Bridgers, I opened Twitter to discover that Adams had broken his silence for the first time since his initial response, denying the allegations in the Times story five months prior. “I have a lot to say. I am going to. Soon. Because the truth matters,” he wrote. “All the beauty in a life cannot be reduced to rubble for lies.”

When I ask her how she's feeling about Adams's sudden resurgence, Bridgers shakes her head and offers up an exasperated smile. “He can go fuck off.”

“I just hope everybody is okay,” she elaborates. “He's, as Orson Welles would say, ‘such a pest.’ I feel like the anger I have about it is just for other people. I'm just like, Go the fuck away, dude.” When I muse about the inconvenient timing of Adams resurfacing, Bridgers has exactly two words: “Retrograde, dude.” She's referring to the astrological concept of Mercury retrograde, the period when a planet appears to be traveling backward in the sky, which can dredge up unwanted people from the past.

Bridgers feels like she's in a solidly better place now than when she was 21—bus hit-and-runs during therapy included. “It's so much more fun to live in my body,” she says. “I'm better at acting out the things that make me happy now.”

“I think for a while I also looked for relationships where someone would tell me where to stand. I wanted someone to tell me how to be,” she adds. “I certainly am fucking over that.”

Read on:https://www.gq.com/story/phoebe-brid...ious-astrology
"resurgence" in what way? That he is back on twitter and instagram?
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #3395
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
"resurgence" in what way? That he is back on twitter and instagram?
Agreed. And while those who were wronged by RA certainly should say their peace... why was much of this discussion necessary? RA has, or shouldn't, have any stamp on her upcoming music.

Bridgers response to these inquiries should be, "I no longer work with that artist for reasons you already know, so let's move on and talk about my music instead fuck face"
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #3396
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

reemergence would have been a better word to use.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #3397
Shadowlands96

Shadowlands96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
To each his own
Shadowlands96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #3398
cs cat

cs cat is infamous around these parts

I'm definitely missing hearing new stuff from Ryan and hoping his career is not totally finished. If he really did some of the worst things he's accused of then it's understandable but without actual charges it seems like guilty until proven innocent.
cs cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #3399
Tim Simmons

To be clear, the less worst stuff is tolerable?
Sponsored Links