TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anyone here ever met/seen RA outside of concerts?

Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone here ever met/seen RA outside of concerts?

I think it's safe to say that via the blogs, concert banter, and media press, that RA is perceived as whiny, a loose cannon, etc.

I'm curious if anyone here has seen him in public, met him in person, had him sign something, slept with him, or any thing live/in person that's not a concert.

Even if he himself is online, we're reading into his behaviors through mediation. If you have them, I'd love to hear about any first hand exposure to RA.

Share and discuss!
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold
Re: Anyone here ever met/seen RA outside of concerts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I think it's safe to say that via the blogs, concert banter, and media press, that RA is perceived as whiny, a loose cannon, etc.

I'm curious if anyone here has seen him in public, met him in person, had him sign something, slept with him, or any thing live/in person that's not a concert.

Even if he himself is online, we're reading into his behaviors through mediation. If you have them, I'd love to hear about any first hand exposure to RA.

Share and discuss!
I'm curious about this as well. Any real groupies out there with some stories?
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
suzfoldsfive
Phantom Eyes

suzfoldsfive is just really nicesuzfoldsfive is just really nice

I know a bunch of people over at RAA have met him (there was a thread going like this). Let's see if we can get some good stories over here!

and i'm not gonna break, but if i do
i'm gonna shatter like the glass i turned your heart into
suzfoldsfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Marty

Marty has a spectacular aura aboutMarty has a spectacular aura about

I met the whole band after a show in Buffalo back in 2005

They all seemed really nice. Ryan eventually came out, took some pics and signed a few things. One person had a sketchbook and he handed it to Ryan. Ryan started telling this story and drawing a caricature of the person. As we all listened to the story, Ryan was just sketching. Within a few minutes, the story was over and he had completed the caricature...it was pretty cool to witness.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
bcart
Suburban gangster flow

bcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to all

I met Ryan in the Fleetwood diner in Ann Arbor after the show in 2007. He wasn't the friendliest guy that night but we all have our moments. It was my best friend's birthday and he went up and told Ryan what a fun time he had at the show and that it was his birthday and could he get a picture with him. Ryan goes "I'm just trying to eat my eggs here man, maybe later." He didn't even have any food in front of him at the time but my buddy was a little drunk and Ryan was with some other people. After a few moments Ryan turned around and said "Happy Birthday though." We just left after we were done eating and didn't bother him any more. I sat right next to him while I ate the rest of my meal. Sort of strange.

Man, that dude really likes his eggs
bcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
sunflowerblu
the patterns on your dress

sunflowerblu will become famous soon enough

i've seen him a couple of times in nyc and stood next to him at a show (not his) once. he smelled really good. is that crazy to say? like patchouli and cologne and soap.

Last edited by sunflowerblu; 02-21-2009 at 12:55 PM..
sunflowerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
BottleItUp

BottleItUp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerblu View Post
i've seen him a couple of times in nyc and stood next to him at a show once. he smelled really good. is that crazy to say? like patchouli and cologne and soap.
I think the fact that you saying he smells good actually made me happy, is far crazier. Haha.
Then again, I am very conscious of how people smell, so it kinda makes sense
BottleItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
sunflowerblu
the patterns on your dress

sunflowerblu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleItUp View Post
Then again, I am very conscious of how people smell, so it kinda makes sense :
ha. me too.
sunflowerblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
plath

plath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerblu View Post
i've seen him a couple of times in nyc and stood next to him at a show (not his) once. he smelled really good. is that crazy to say? like patchouli and cologne and soap.
that makes me happy too! i've read numerous accounts that said he stinks!! can have peace of mind now
plath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Peter123
Sing Me Something New

Peter123 has a spectacular aura aboutPeter123 has a spectacular aura about

I'd like to have a night out with Ryan back when he was an alcoholic. Woulda been fun.
Cause you're the only
God a man could ever need
Peter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter123 View Post
I'd like to have a night out with Ryan back when he was an alcoholic. Woulda been fun.
Either 1997 or 2002/2003. THAT would be a good time.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

This is perfect; doesn't need to be juicy. I just figure we've got a picture of him based on the blogging (which I think he might intentionally act freaky on) and the tabloid-y stuff. Keep them coming. We're all at least somewhat obsessed/curious with the guy if we're getting on here and the albums aren't enough. These are fun to hear about!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
GoodSkanky

I did hear he broke the "wrong guitar" at Cornell U in 2003 and was seen wandering around campus drunk that night. I wasn't a fan yet and only knew "NY,NY" and thought is was the Black Crowes! I got straightened out...
Old 02-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
cookies
jam-y goodness

cookies will become famous soon enough

One of my co-workers met him by fluke outside a hotel while she was 'stalking' Oasis in Edmonton. She didn't really know who he was until she started talking to him. She just knew he was somebody... so she said: "Are you with the band?" .............

Who wants to know his answer?

Stay tuned next week....
cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
bcart
Suburban gangster flow

bcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to all

I can't wait, what did he say.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

i've met him two or three times after shows. he was always a perfect gentleman. very sweet. he opened a door for me.
i didn't smell him.

Last edited by ferris wheel junkie; 02-21-2009 at 05:12 PM..
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #17
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

eggs met him recently and he seemed to be pretty accomodating then (as his avatar shows)
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
eggs met him recently and he seemed to be pretty accomodating then (as his avatar shows)
I hope we can't apply the same logic to JackStarks avatar!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
Sweet_Lil_Gal
Tennessee Mongoose

Sweet_Lil_Gal will become famous soon enough

I've already mentioned this on this board before but I have definitely had several Ryan experiences.

First in Charleston, SC in October 2007, he was walking around downtown and a bunch of my friends ran into him and chatted with him but I didn't go share in the stalking because I had a haircut appointment and wanted to defer to that.

Later that night, me and a group of my girlfriends went to the concert in North Charleston, and afterward we went around the back of the venue to leave. As we were walking to our car out in the lot, Ryan's road manager at the time, Louie Matthieu, came out and met us. He said Ryan needed stuff from WalMart and wanted to know if we'd take him to get stuff. (I assume we were the cutest group of girls around, at least to Louie). He was a fun guy, he told us to drive up next to the tour bus and "act like we owned the place." All the other fans were super, super PISSED. Ryan came out and talked to us (and touched my car! haha) and then he was like, well, since there are so many of y'all, I'm not gonna come. And we were like, man, but I didn't want to shaft one of my friends. So he asked us about this video game called Gods of War or something, and I was like, no, I don't know what that is. And he said that's what he was looking for to play on the tour bus that night. (And he needed a new Playstation.) So Louie got in the car and we drove him to WalMart. Louie was on the phone with him as he kept requesting all this bizarre stuff. He wanted diet 7-Up and powdered doughnuts, and Affrin nasal spray. I was looking for the Sweet Sixteen kind of doughnuts but thought he'd appreciate the Little Debbies since he was from the South originally, too. So we gave him all his stuff and he came out and talked to us. He was so cool to us though.

I was like, "Hey, did you like the Little Debbies?" and he was like, "Yes, yes I did. "

He said "Man, thank you so much, I wish there was something I could do for you guys."

And he autographed stuff for us, including our T-shirts. And I was like, "Hey! I'm going to be in Birmingham in two nights!"

And he was like, "That's it! That's what I'll do, I get you tickets to the Birmingham show!"

(Seriously, I was taken aback by how nice he was).

So Ryan got me two comp. tickets to the Bham show. He was really tired so none of us hung out with the band in the bus that night, but I remember being wowwed that he was so sober.

Louie kept texting me and calling me for the next couple days. He called me from backstage at the Atlanta show at the Fox. When I was driving through Atlanta on my way to Birmingham he called and told me what hotel they were staying in, said they were really really bored, and was asking me about where to find a Starbucks and where to find a skateboarding shop in Birmingham. And I was like, I don't know man, seriously, I don't skateboard.

So that night I go to the concert at the Alabama Theatre and park in this random parking garage which turned out to be a bad idea because they locked my car in there later, but I ran around the corner and ran into Ryan, who was skateboarding on his new board, haha. I stopped and chatted with him and Louie for a minute and then I was a total bitch because I had to go to the Will Call office to get my tickets and I was afraid for some reason that if I didn't get there soon then they'd be gone. So I kind of blew off Ryan. Why would I do that???? So I was mad at myself. After I got the tickets, I ran back around the side of the theatre and he was gone. So I stood there on the sidewalk for a second and looked around, and then all of a sudden, Ryan steps out of the bus.

And I was like, whooahhh, hey, I'm sorry I was rude earlier and explained the situation. I asked him if he'd been enjoying his new Playstation, and it was generally very boring small talk. Then we started walking down the sidewalk and I thought to myself, "I have to say something cooler than that to Ryan Adams." And then I told him how inspirational his music was, blah blah, and how no one makes music like that anymore. And how I'm sure people tell him stuff like that all the time, and I sorta looked at my feet, embarrassed. And he was like, "Hey, no, no; I know you're being sincere." And at that moment I just thought he was so sweet. And then I was like, "I just really appreciate the concert tickets. It's so cool to be able to see you play twice in one week." And he goes, "Hey, don't jinx it! I still have to go in there and play my set." And we smiled at each other and I told him to have fun.

Louie was texting me throughout the show talking about how Ryan was pissing him off and how he was in a really weird mood and he was worried he wasn't going to finish out the show. I met Louie again in the lobby halfway through the show, but I brought a guy with me (my date) which was probably a bad idea. Louie didn't like that very much. I never saw him again and he only emailed once after that. I never got to hang out backstage with Ryan either, which sucks and maybe I would have if I wasn't walking around with my preppy date. Ryan cut the show short and that was the end of it. I thought it was a super fun weekend though and I thought it was great that Ryan was so nice to me, considering. Anyway, I have very vivid memories of that because I wrote it all down in a journal. It was fun.

Ryan's kind of short in person but still way cute, especially when he smiles. He was nice to me, and I try to remember that.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
ferris wheel junkie

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

wow, louis sounds like a really annoying loser.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
plath

plath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond reputeplath has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh that was such a cool story to read!! louie totally had the hots for you, haha!! this thread is making me feel all sad because i love meeting bands and hanging out with them backstage or in their tourbus and i'm sad because that never happened with ryan for me and now i'm trying to be a good girl and not drink and be crazy at gigs anymore so maybe i won't hang out with many bands anymore!! i suppose i would make the exception for ryan though!

- are you still with the guy you brought as a date? cause that would make it ok. otherwise big mistake!!
plath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

I liked your story, Sweet Lil Gal. That's how I'd like to think of him, but those stories are just so rare.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #23
Sweet_Lil_Gal
Tennessee Mongoose

Sweet_Lil_Gal will become famous soon enough

No! I'm not with him! I broke it off when I moved to Atlanta a little over a year ago. That guy was super great, but too traditional for me. But hey I'm in Atlanta and going to see him play at the Tabernacle on Sunday March 8. What are the chances I'll talk to Ryan again? Zero, probs. I hope I don't have a Mandy sighting.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #24
ferris wheel junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plath View Post
ahhh that was such a cool story to read!! louie totally had the hots for you, haha!! this thread is making me feel all sad because i love meeting bands and hanging out with them backstage or in their tourbus and i'm sad because that never happened with ryan for me and now i'm trying to be a good girl and not drink and be crazy at gigs anymore so maybe i won't hang out with many bands anymore!! i suppose i would make the exception for ryan though!

- are you still with the guy you brought as a date? cause that would make it ok. otherwise big mistake!!
i don't know that it was a big mistake... umm louie? no thanks

but plath... it sounds like you've got some other good stories!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #25
bcart
Suburban gangster flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Lil_Gal View Post
I've already mentioned this on this board before but I have definitely had several Ryan experiences.........Ryan's kind of short in person but still way cute, especially when he smiles. He was nice to me, and I try to remember that.
That's a really cool story. I didn't read it the first time around I guess.

You brought a date

I've seen Louie working girls at shows a few times. Isn't he married with children?
Sponsored Links