TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 08-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #3351
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Rolling Stone originally went out of their way to minimize Ryan. They made more mention of Willie Nelson than the Cardinals.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #3352
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

excerpt from liz phairs interview with vulture:

When you made Funstyle, you were already making fun of yourself as a has-been whoíd been forgotten by everyone. And that was eight years ago.
Iím not sure what youíre getting at.

Why havenít you released an album since then?
I was going to work with Ryan Adams, and you can guess how that turned out. I stuck around for three years trying to get that done. Up until then, I didnít want to make a record and tour while my son was in high school. It wasnít until he left for college four years ago that I really wanted to put a record out. During the puberty years, the teenage years, you have to be around more. Thatís when it gets very real.

What are you going to do with the songs you made with Ryan Adams?
Nothing.

Did you finish any songs?
No. Started a lot. We kept trying. But he was unreliable, and I wasnít willing to go along with his process.

What was his process?
Iím not gonna go. Sorry.

In your book, thereís a chapter called ďHashtagĒ where you talk about working with him. You also detail the number of ways youíve been sexually harassed, both as a woman and as a musician. But I think the chapter says that itís not only harassment that affects women, itís less obvious things, like being ignored or discouraged.
Thatís very true. It goes back to being a child: ďSit still and look pretty.Ē You want to have a voice, and if youíre female, they block off your avenues to do that. When I think about #MeToo, I think about my determination to continue forward.

You also write about Adams, ďDid he hit on me and try to get me to sleep with him? Yes. Did I take him up on it? No.Ē What happened when you didnít take him up on it?
That was a sentence that was flagged by my editor, and Iím beginning to see why. Thatís nothing. Guys hit on girls all the time.

Can I ask a question? Out of everything in the book, why is the Ryan Adams thing such an interesting topic?

Because heís been in the news, and itís a pithy way to discuss sex and power.
It worries me. Thereís an aspect that ends up being reductivist, and it contributes to the problem rather than solving it. Itís gossip. The real aspect is, can women be heard? Can we work and be equal contributors?

Youíre not the only one singling out Ryan Adams as a hot talking point, and itís sad. It does need to be talked about, but so do the larger issues.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/liz-...versation.html
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #3353
hi_there

hi_there has a spectacular aura about

Fucking great responses. Interviewer pnw'ed.
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #3354
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

"That’s nothing. Guys hit on girls all the time."

Not in 2019. If you look at a woman the "wrong way", you get accused of sexual harassment.

Last edited by Dan33185; 09-05-2019 at 05:53 PM..
Dan33185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #3355
Buttsack

Buttsack is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk View Post
yeah...cause this stuff was really half-hearted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xuAs3Nvlc0

as for me...my band played Everything Changes and 16 Days the other night at a show. both were very well received by the crowd. i saw a few people draw closer with a curious stare like...you mean it's okay to listen to Ryan Adams again?!
it felt kinda like that moment in the movie Pleasantville where everyone can see color for the first time.
More likely they didnít know the songs.
Buttsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #3356
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
"Thatís nothing. Guys hit on girls all the time."

Not in 2019. If you look at a woman the "wrong way", you get accused of sexual harassment.

But somewhat true in some cases.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #3357
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

He posted a clip of Anybody Evil again on instagram. I do like the sound of that track.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #3358
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:

Plenty of people seem to have found a way to meet women without being accused of sexual harassment.

I think there's enough instances of Ryan being creepy for it to be a Ryan issue, and not a sign of the times.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #3359
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Thatís nothing. Guys hit on girls all the time."

This is silly and an immature response.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #3360
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

speaking from experience?

i say this: don't be a scumbag...don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you, your family members, your daughters....

it's not necessarly PC to make sure those around you are comfortable and feel welcomed. it's called common decency and courtesy and respect.

act like a jerk, expect someone to react in an equal and deserved way.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #3361
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
This is silly and an immature response.
immature at best
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #3362
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #3363
JackStark211

Quick question: Is crop-dusting your office or, perhaps, the bread aisle at a grocery store either assault of harassment? Asking for a friend.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #3364
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Its domestic terrorism Jack
Old 09-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #3365
JackStark211

Quote:
Its domestic terrorism Jack
I'll be sure to let my friend know.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #3366
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

For the first time since the article, Iíve been listening to Ryan again, because I was getting interested in his next steps after the self titled. Made a playlist and enjoyed it, with his behaviour in mind, but it didnít affect the Ďlistening experienceí.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #3367
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

he weighed in on the whole Lana / NPR thing.

of course the first has since been deleted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #3368
Tim Simmons

Twitter <clap> is <clap> not <clap> a <clap> dating <clap> site <clap> Ryan
Old 09-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #3369
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Lana Del Ray cover album in 3... 2... 1...
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #3370
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

John Mayer did a great version of Video Games, wouldn't actually mind seeing Ryan tackle a few of her songs

Old 09-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #3371
Tim Simmons

Her new album is outstanding
Old 09-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #3372
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Her new album is outstanding
it truly is stunning.
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links