TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 AM   #1301
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

At least 40 dead, this is just so terrible. I have no words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:56 AM   #1302
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
At least 40 dead, this is just so terrible. I have no words

49 now
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #1303
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

And over 20 injured..hopefully the death toll doesn't go up. I feel so sad.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #1304
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I saw this this morning. I'm so sorry. Fuck these people.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #1305
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out the shooter was an Australian citizen who moved to NZ. Imagine an Australian getting all worked up and angry over a group of foreigners coming in and "taking over" your country. Read a history book mate.

Also looks like PM Arden is set to make changes to NZ's gun laws. I'll leave that to the Kiwis to decide whether its what they want, but it certainly shows some decisive leadership on her part. And it certainly worked pretty well here after Port Arthur.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:24 AM   #1306
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Turns out the shooter was an Australian citizen who moved to NZ. Imagine an Australian getting all worked up and angry over a group of foreigners coming in and "taking over" your country. Read a history book mate.

Also looks like PM Arden is set to make changes to NZ's gun laws. I'll leave that to the Kiwis to decide whether its what they want, but it certainly shows some decisive leadership on her part. And it certainly worked pretty well here after Port Arthur.
that's really what it boils down to... white people invading a continent, then outraged when the tides of history send others into their midst....
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #1307
andyo812

andyo812 is just really niceandyo812 is just really nice

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...er-being-egged

andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #1308
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
Wow, what a great guy hitting a teenager.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #1309
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Fraser Anning is vile. He's essentially an "accidental" Senator - he got in because someone else got kicked out. He's only been in the Senate since late 2017 and already left one political party and been kicked out of another. Now he's an independent and has pretty much zero chance of being re-elected under his own steam.

I suspect he's using his platform to set himself up as a far right leader of sorts after the next Senate election. I hope he just crawls back under a rock instead. He's an embarrassment to my country.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #1310
Sydneyfan

This is a real official statement from a normally pretty dull and non-political lobby group.

Spoiler:
Old 03-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #1311
andyo812

andyo812 is just really niceandyo812 is just really nice

Iíll be interested to see what reforms are brought forward, i believe the PM said itíd be in just ten days.

andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #1312
Sydneyfan

New gun laws announced today. Looks like there will be an amnesty and a gun buy-back scheme as well.

Quote:
New Zealand to ban all military-style semi-automatic guns and assault rifles
Ardern says all weapons used in Friday’s terrorist attack will be banned.

She says: “I absolutely believe there will be a common view amongst New Zealanders, those who use guns for legitimate purposes, and those who have never touched one, that the time for the mass and easy availability of these weapons must end. And today they will.

“Today I am announcing that NewZealand will ban all military-style semi-automatic weapons. We will also ban all assault rifles. We will ban all high capacity magazines. We will ban all parts with the ability to convert semi-automatic or any other type of firearm into a military-style semi-automatic weapon. We will ban parts that cause a firearm to generate semi-automatic, automatic or close to automatic gunfire.

“In short, every semi-automatic weapon used in the terrorist attack on Friday will be banned in this country.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...log-navigation
Old Today, 05:33 PM   #1313
Sydneyfan

So...turns out the leadership of One Nation are a group of amoral grifters who would do anything for power. Much surprisement. The guy in my avatar has the correct reaction, as always.

Quote:
An elaborate sting operation has revealed that senior One Nation figures, including Pauline Hanson's chief-of-staff, sought millions of dollars in donations from the US pro-gun lobby to help them water down Australia's gun control laws.

A journalist from news network Al Jazeera, posing as the head of a fake Australian gun lobby group, secretly filmed Hanson's top adviser James Ashby and One Nation's Queensland leader Steve Dickson during a visit to Washington DC last year.

While in the US capital Ashby and Dickson met with representatives from the powerful National Rifle Association (NRA) and other conservative groups.

In a conversation with undercover reporter Rodger Muller, Dickson says that he hopes to raise $10 million from US pro-gun groups.

Ashby says they should aim higher and try to raise $20 million.

Ashby and Dickson agree that with that amount of money they could seize the balance of power in the House of Representatives and the Senate.

"If we could get that amount of money, imagine: we could change Australia," Dickson says.

"You'd have the whole government by the balls."

In a meeting with representatives from Koch Industries, a leading funder of US conservative causes. Dickson is recorded saying: "It's going to get down to money at the end of the day.

"We can change the voting system in our country, the way people operate, if we've got the money to do it.

"The ingredients are there, we just don't have the petrol to put in the engine.

"So whatever you can do would be fantastic."

Dickson is filmed telling pro-gun advocates that Australia has been importing "dangerous" Muslims who break into people's homes with baseball bats and steal everything they own.

"Our country's going into chaos," he says.

Ashby is filmed saying it would "f---ing rock the boat" if One Nation's meetings with US pro-gun were made public.

The meetings took place just before the Australian Parliament banned foreign donations.

Al Jazeera does not present evidence that One Nation ended up receiving funds from the NRA, Koch Industries or other US groups.

In a meeting filmed before Dickson's trip to the US, he tells Muller that he wants him to help gain support from the NRA for One Nation.

"This is about getting a political wing in Australia that can actually work hand in glove with the United States and the way the United States thinks," Dickson says.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wor...26-p517iq.html
Old Today, 05:34 PM   #1314
Sydneyfan

Also a pity this wasn't released last week prior to the NSW state election.
Old Today, 05:56 PM   #1315
Sydneyfan

The Selling A Massacre documentary is up on You Tube.

Sponsored Links

Tags
a dingo ate my baby, antipodeans, australia, australia is awesome, australia sux, flying kangaroo, julia gillard talks funny, new zealand, new zealand is awesome, new zealand six, nick cave is awesome, sport is stupid, tby staple thread, vegemite is owned by the u.s.