TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #2701
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, and the Stans that love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecalling View Post
Not sure if this has been brought up before (I'm sure it has.)

But, uh.

Does the FBI like, ANNOUNCE that they're done with an investigation?
I'm sure Ryan will announce it
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #2702
folkjam

folkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of lightfolkjam is a glorious beacon of light

The FBI didn't formally announce that they had launched an investigation, a source leaked it to the NYT. I doubt concluding the investigation without charges would be any different.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #2703
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
You think Ryan's career has ended? I don't.

Or am I misinterpreting this?
Seems like it ended the day the article came out. Things will never be the same, no matter what the truth is, his name has been linked with a 14 year old, the other stuff would have rightly or wrongly blown over, I dont think that will. The article was poorly written in terms of proper information, but written in a way that did lot of damage from a career perspective.

Not sure what he would have to do to resurrect his career, but Im guessing that after some time out he may not even want to. Its a shame because I truly believe he was the best songwriter of the 2000's.
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #2704
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Damn shame.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #2705
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

At least this happened at a time when 95% of his releases are super duper shitty.
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #2706
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
At least this happened at a time when 95% of his releases are super duper shitty.
how dare you throw his good name under the bus. he's a super god.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #2707
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Some are waiting on the FBI investigation results. Most are waiting on one thing and one thing only: Neal.

Until Neal speaks, I have no opinion.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #2708
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post
Some are waiting on the FBI investigation results. Most are waiting on one thing and one thing only: Neal.

Until Neal speaks, I have no opinion.
Chris Robinson Brotherhood is breaking up as we speak - you almost gotta wonder about Neal.

Does dude just love working with known assholes or what?
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #2709
hi_there

hi_there has a spectacular aura about

he's gonna just ride that Dead nostalgia wave into the sunset.
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #2710
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr79 View Post
Its a shame because I truly believe he was the best songwriter of the 2000's.
I used to think this too. He wasn't. Maybe from like '99 to 02 he was. But given what fed his talent, I'm disgusted to think this as well.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #2711
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I used to think this too. He wasn't. Maybe from like '99 to 02 he was. But given what fed his talent, I'm disgusted to think this as well.
I basically think he plateaued in 2005 with the trilogy. I still think JCN is one of the best country albums to come out in a very long time. Since then? Everything has been somewhere between meh to fine. I don't actually think his previous 4 albums or so have aged well from a music perspective. Couple that with the fact that he's an objectively terrible person, and I'm kind of done and I don't feel like I've lost very much. Pneumonia will always be a very special album to me, but that's mostly because I think very fondly about where my life was at the time I first heard it, but my warm feelings are about that time and not so much the album.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #2712
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILMORE104 View Post
I basically think he plateaued in 2005 with the trilogy. I still think JCN is one of the best country albums to come out in a very long time. Since then? Everything has been somewhere between meh to fine. I don't actually think his previous 4 albums or so have aged well from a music perspective. Couple that with the fact that he's an objectively terrible person, and I'm kind of done and I don't feel like I've lost very much. Pneumonia will always be a very special album to me, but that's mostly because I think very fondly about where my life was at the time I first heard it, but my warm feelings are about that time and not so much the album.
good words. pneumonia is so goddamn good. it holds a special place in my heart too as well as strangers. i'll always have those.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #2713
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Chris Robinson Brotherhood is breaking up as we speak - you almost gotta wonder about Neal.

Does dude just love working with known assholes or what?
This totally sucks - actually the most bummed I've been about a band breaking up since the Cardinals. Very curious to see where Neal goes from here. It looks like Circles Around The Sun has some momentum right now. Maybe he gets back with Todd and the HWA?

Quote:
Seems like it ended the day the article came out. Things will never be the same, no matter what the truth is, his name has been linked with a 14 year old, the other stuff would have rightly or wrongly blown over, I dont think that will. The article was poorly written in terms of proper information, but written in a way that did lot of damage from a career perspective.

Not sure what he would have to do to resurrect his career, but Im guessing that after some time out he may not even want to. Its a shame because I truly believe he was the best songwriter of the 2000's.
The article was published like 2 months ago. This might take years, but no ways he's done.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #2714
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

Fans seems to be divisive about when Ryan peaked, either with Whiskeytown and Heartbreaker, during 2001-2002 or in 2005. But no-one ever says he peaked in 2011 or 2016 or something like that.

For me he peaked in 2005-2006 with the three records and the spin-off tours with The Cardinals. Easy Tiger was such a let down, although it matured very well, and Cardinology even more. For me, he never recovered from it musically. Although the self-titled and the 7 inches were quite nice.

He has been a massive influence on me. I discovered alt-country through him (JTE, even Wilco) and Sonic Youth, which let me on the path to more noise like Yo La Tengo and so on. Although I moved on the last couple of years, since his behavior started to annoy me more and more and his music wasn't like the Cardinals days anymore, I still miss his music from time to time.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #2715
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricityscape View Post
Fans seems to be divisive about when Ryan peaked, either with Whiskeytown and Heartbreaker, during 2001-2002 or in 2005. But no-one ever says he peaked in 2011 or 2016 or something like that.

For me he peaked in 2005-2006 with the three records and the spin-off tours with The Cardinals. Easy Tiger was such a let down, although it matured very well, and Cardinology even more. For me, he never recovered from it musically. Although the self-titled and the 7 inches were quite nice.

He has been a massive influence on me. I discovered alt-country through him (JTE, even Wilco) and Sonic Youth, which let me on the path to more noise like Yo La Tengo and so on. Although I moved on the last couple of years, since his behavior started to annoy me more and more and his music wasn't like the Cardinals days anymore, I still miss his music from time to time.
Songs here and there from his the last few albums, i've enjoyed. But I dont think I've really enjoyed anything collectively from start to finish, definitely not anything since the 2000s. I'd be way more excited about stuff coming out from the vault versus new stuff he's written.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #2716
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh snap why is CBB breaking up? Chris shenanigans? Poor Neal. He had a good vibe going with that band and was looking way cooler than the Cardinals vest years. Perhaps he will now speak on both his dickhead former front men? An autobiography titled "I, Casal".

Agreed on Pneumonia. That is by far my fave Ryan-related album. Those delicious hazy pop country grooves...he never sounded like that again. My fave version of that record was the one that was going to be released with Tilt A Whirl and Choked Up on it...you can find it floating around.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #2717
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Adam MacDougall (keys) was fired. Most of the speculation is it is $$ related. They're using a fill in keyboardist through July (new album is out in June) and then they are done.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #2718
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point

For those who dont think he was the best songwriter of the 2000's, who do you think was? Certainly think his output between 2000 and 2005 puts him top for that decade.

His career will never be what it was, not expecting tours and hi profile album releases. Yeah might release some more records one day and release archive stuff but the damage was done when that article was published. As it was it felt like the trilogy and tour was going to be it before bowing out for a long time.
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #2719
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
For those who dont think he was the best songwriter of the 2000's, who do you think was? Certainly think his output between 2000 and 2005 puts him top for that decade.
Conor Oberst would be in the conversation.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #2720
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

We talking solo songwriting (music and lyrics)?

Kanye
Thom Yorke
James Murphy
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #2721
thebalvenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyglass View Post
Conor Oberst would be in the conversation.
jason isbell
gregory alan isakov
ray lamontagne
jason mraz
hootie and the blowfish
wheeler walker jr
Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #2722
hi_there

no such thing as single best, but for the decade i'd put up:

l. williams
welch
tweedy
harvey
jason molina
Old 05-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #2723
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Patty Griffin is up there for me
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #2724
hi_there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Patty Griffin is up there for me

wooooooord. i meant to put her on my list.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #2725
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
jason isbell
gregory alan isakov
ray lamontagne
jason mraz
hootie and the blowfish
wheeler walker jr
Patterson Hood
Tom Waits
John Moreland
Justin Townes Earle