TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Ryan is closing down Pax -Am

Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Ryan is closing down Pax -Am

From RAA:

Quote:
I fully understand your issues with Pax-Am. This will be the last time you have any issues with my label or with merch store however as I am discontinuing doing it.
As for Cardinology I am afraid your issue is with Lost Highway. I was simply signed to Universal/ Lost Highway as an artist and had no say in the quality of the product. I was appalled they ever released ANY of my albums on vinyl since NONE were mastered for vinyl including the clear GOLD thing. I still have the original ones and they sound like ass. THAT is my personal opinion and I don't care. Sorry. I like mastered vinyl.
Pax-Am vinyl however is top quality stuff- our issues were with vinyl distribution due to an unfortunate accident that happened to the guy who actually runs the merch store. He fell and broke his jaw in such a severe way that it had to be wired completely shut. By the time he returned pre-orders had gone up- a weekend had passed where people had ordered past our ability to fill that order. It was a terrible accident and frankly the concern was with HIM and not with the orders. A real human being got hurt. It came first. That actually happens in a small business model. I was wrong to assume a handful of the 600 people would understand
I am not going to sell you records anymore and not as any kind of punishment but because frankly as disenfranchised with me as you may be it goes both ways.
I really feel like every effort was made to reach out and let people know what was happening. It was terribly unfortunate but totally real. PAXAM sold the special pre-order and our distributor sold the vinyl to stores. We wanted to add something extra for the communities online that have supported ( or not supported ) past releases and be able to share more tracks with you- I wanted you to have a different experience. I thought the demos were an important step in the process and the colored vinyl ( which sounds rad ) was also.
If he hadn't have fallen everything would have been fine and everyone would have had to have found something else to find fault with but that is not reality. What happened is someone got hurt and we tried to fix that and then we tried to fix THIS. It is taking a minute. And it took some work. Because we are not some lame major record label making a billion copies over the bottom line and making them all look and sound like crap.
If that explanation is not sufficient enough for you ( again) BY ALL MEANS send an email to the merch store and ask for a refund. I don't care anymore really. I would LOVE to pay you back for your vinyl order.
All future Pax-Am releases are cancelled and I don't have any plans to continue anymore merch. Maybe I will sell the rights to someone else and let them make this stuff. All I know is I am not going to do it.
I don't believe we did a bad job. I believe something happened and people forgot. So we told you AGAIN and gave you some more tracks and then you forgot. And when given the opportunity to be grown ups and ask for the money back or chill, some people chose to complain about PaxAm like somehow we would intentionally take your money and go running away into the sunset with it laughing. Please.
The truth is both releases cost a boat load to manufacture and so many good people who I enjoy working with are involved in a hands-on way, all the way down to the manufacturing, that I seriously doubt the vinyl made any money back. It was about the tunes and doing it right and making quality vinyl. We took time to do it right.
Clearly I was 100 percent wrong that this was a good idea and I am really glad I tried but am totally done. Sorry if that sounds passive aggressive or something but I am just being real. I over it and over blogging and I had to borrow this very computer to even write this crap. Blah.
Do what you need to do, say what you want to say, talk shit or don't talk shit in this forum ( to my knowledge no one is being censored ) but be responsible for yourself and make some decisions because you have been given choices about your vinyl purchase. No one is punishing you and you have been totally 100 percent heard loud and clear. Thanks for taking a chance on Pax Am and I wish you all the best 2011 and no hard feelings not one bit- rock on.
Take it easy people.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ryan is closing down Pax -Am

Looks like he's leaving the internets again too.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

For the first time. Ryan is 100% correct. He is totally in the right (if not a little pissy - I hate the taking your ball and going home mentality).

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 01-04-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Also, thanks for screwing us out of new material you stupid whiney vaginas that call themselves fans.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Sydneyfan

I don't think there is much doubt that Pax-Am had some teething problems. Or that the company handling the merch made a couple of significant stuff ups ( eg: putting up T-shirts for sale that they didn't actually have in stock) and seemed pretty underwhelming in the customer service area.

But that's a silly reason to scrap the whole idea of the label. Maybe try and learn from mistakes instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater everytime someone complains about anything.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

That is true.

But if its not worth the headache for his, he should just can the whole thing.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

I'm just disappointed that this basically kills any chance we get at all the unreleased stuff.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I'm just disappointed that this basically kills any chance we get at all the unreleased stuff.
I wouldn't rule out a change of heart on his part a couple of months down the track.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Yeah.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Where the hell were people even complaining? I cancelled my order on Amazon to do the order through Pax-AM. I got my stuff right when they said I would, and I've been quite pleased.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILMORE104 View Post
Where the hell were people even complaining? I cancelled my order on Amazon to do the order through Pax-AM. I got my stuff right when they said I would, and I've been quite pleased.
On RAA. And then Ryan asked them to stop complaining. And some didn't. And now he's pulled the plug, at least for the moment. He's listening to the negatives rather then positives as usual. I can understand why people complaining gets annoying. But business is not art. You take people's cash, they expect things in return and sometimes they complain; justified or not. You can't take business personally and that's what he seems to be doing. Pax -Am probably would have been better off not taking people's money for pre-orders until they actually had the stock to send out. That's the way it's usually done.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Fuck RAA. At least, for once, we're not the one's being blamed.

And I agree with your suggested improvement. That's the way Amazon does it and I would think that would be a good improvement moving into the future.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Tim Simmons

I do love how he shits on the Lost Highway pressings. They do suck. Terrible label.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
GILMORE104
Moo

well thank you for making me feel bad about my recent purchase
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

If its any consolation I own all his LH albums. So I've been super punished.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
Tim Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILMORE104 View Post
Fuck RAA.
PotY
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
For the first time. Ryan is 100% correct. He is totally in the right (if not a little pissy - I hate the taking your ball and going home mentality).
The fuck he is 100%. What kind of buisness decides to shut the door because of negative feedback while still making money. What a lame ass bitch. Maybe I should try and refund all my purchase.

He sounds like a sandwich shop owner crying about his "mom's chicken salad sandwich" never getting ordered.

What a cunt.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Tim Simmons

But his fans are cunts too.

And if his customers are cunts, why bother serving them.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
Tim Simmons

I realize I am calling myself a cunt here too.

But I like the smell of my own cunt.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
But his fans are cunts too.

And if his customers are cunts, why bother serving them.
Maybe he is better off recording his music for no one else but himeself.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #21
burgerqueen
yeah, you've got me shakin

burgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to beholdburgerqueen is a splendid one to behold

haha, I think it's funny that RAA are the ones that pissed him off this time. Finally.

I didn't realize people were having this many problems. I did the pre-order, got it right on time, everything worked fine. I was kinda hoping this would mean lots of unreleased stuff coming out. I may not love all the songs on III/IV, but it was worth the purchase for the ones I like a lot.
burgerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerqueen View Post
haha, I think it's funny that RAA are the ones that pissed him off this time. Finally.

I didn't realize people were having this many problems. I did the pre-order, got it right on time, everything worked fine. I was kinda hoping this would mean lots of unreleased stuff coming out. I may not love all the songs on III/IV, but it was worth the purchase for the ones I like a lot.
Yeah, that's the shame of all this. Plenty of people were probably happy with Pax -Am. Some people had (and are still having) problems and its a little bit naive to expect some of them not to complain. And let's face it, most people who ordered through Pax - Am would have been fans in the first place.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #23
JackStark211

I'm just upset to be let down by him again. I really liked this method of delivery and I hoped it would not be shut down over something as petty as this.

What Syd said is 100% true. This is not art it is buisness.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
Sydneyfan

Apologies if I'm just not seeing it, but it looks like the whole complaint thread at RAA, including RA's statement about closing PAx-Am; has been deleted. At least for now; they have a mysterious habit of re-appearing sometimes.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #25
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Sounds like Ryan and his pax-am crew need to take a 101 course in problem solving.

Tags
crybaby, dra-ma, drama queen, dry vagina, fuck me 4 reading, hissy fit, i hate myself andi'm angry at you, meltdown, not getting laid, nutless monkies, our customers suck, pax am, pax-am, pee pee poo poo, rant, ryan quits the internet, see you in a month ra!, where's my bottle?, xxl chalupa