TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Movie Recommendations

Old 10-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #3201
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie Recommendations

Christian Bale must be the king of Hollywood transformations these days. He's unrecognizable.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #3202
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

The new Tamara Jenkins directed film, Private Life, is excellent and now on Netflix. It's a delicate, thoughtful little film strongly grounded in realism and quietly sad. Paul Giamatti is excellent as always, Katherine Hahn is sensational, playing against type.

If you like this one, I'd recommend Jenkins' previous film The Savages (not to be confused with Oliver Stone's very shitty but similarly titled flick). The Savages stars my dream-team leads of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney. It's terrific and also on Netflix I think.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #3203
sleigher

sleigher is just really nicesleigher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Christian Bale must be the king of Hollywood transformations these days. He's unrecognizable.
right? im still baffled by the transformation between the machinist and batman begins

Quote:
The new Tamara Jenkins directed film, Private Life, is excellent and now on Netflix. It's a delicate, thoughtful little film strongly grounded in realism and quietly sad. Paul Giamatti is excellent as always, Katherine Hahn is sensational, playing against type.

If you like this one, I'd recommend Jenkins' previous film The Savages (not to be confused with Oliver Stone's very shitty but similarly titled flick). The Savages stars my dream-team leads of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney. It's terrific and also on Netflix I think.
very anxious to watch this - im a big fan of slums of beverly hills/the savages [was just thinking today how angry i am about phs being dead after rewatching the master]

im working my way through both versions of maniac right now - but private life and hold the dark are up next after that
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #3204
Sydneyfan

I found a lot to like in Hold The Dark, although the critics have been a bit harsher. It's such an intriguing concept, beautifully shot and of course the action set pieces are excellent. It's one of those films I will watch again, as I suspect I'll get more of out of it with a second viewing.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #3205
sleigher

Quote:
I found a lot to like in Hold The Dark, although the critics have been a bit harsher. It's such an intriguing concept, beautifully shot and of course the action set pieces are excellent. It's one of those films I will watch again, as I suspect I'll get more of out of it with a second viewing.
thats good to hear!

i love everything jeremy saulnier has done so far - finally got around to watching murder party the other day - hilarious dark twisted fun
Old 10-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #3206
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
We are watching that film tonight.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #3207
sleigher

anyone a fan of matthew porterfield movies?

hes three for three as far as im concerned

sollers point is probly his most straightforward
Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #3208
Delpriore

Delpriore is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to look up Matthew Porterfield, but then I realized I've seen two of his movies - I Used to Be Darker and Putty Hill. I'm going to check out Sollers Point too now that you mention it.
Delpriore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #3209
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delpriore View Post
I had to look up Matthew Porterfield, but then I realized I've seen two of his movies - I Used to Be Darker and Putty Hill. I'm going to check out Sollers Point too now that you mention it.
have you had a chance to watch it yet?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #3210
sleigher

Quote:

Quote:
watched both and really enjoyed them

the land of steady habits was a good watch as well
Old 11-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #3211
andyo812

andyo812 is a jewel in the roughandyo812 is a jewel in the rough

saw Beautiful Boy tonight.

thought it was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #3212
sleigher

went to the cineplex and saw the old man & the gun and the sisters brothers

pretty good double feature

was cool to see redford/spacek in a film together and tom waits was hilarious

reilly/joaquin made a fun pair of brothers - would definitely watch again
Old 11-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #3213
petermor12

petermor12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I advise to see Venom!
petermor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:25 AM   #3214
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Saw Suspiria on the weekend, probably actually liked it even more than the original. Pretty gruesome in parts, Thom Yorke soundtrack is great.

lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #3215
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Saw Suspiria on the weekend, probably actually liked it even more than the original. Pretty gruesome in parts, Thom Yorke soundtrack is great.

I keep hearing this.

Tags
chug cock, movies, praise cock, recommendations, tby staple thread, trash pandas