TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

Old 12-31-2006, 12:05 AM   #126
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

I find it pretty amazing that a batsman is allowed to dictate his place in the batting order to both his coach and his captain.

Quote:
Pietersen bats for himself
Andrew Ramsey
December 30, 2006

AFTER exposing the myriad weaknesses in England's Test campaign, a relentless Australian camp has turned its attention to one of the tourists' few strengths by suggesting that batsman Kevin Pietersen is not a team player.
Australia coach John Buchanan made the observation yesterday as the post-mortem of England's spineless three-day defeat in Melbourne revealed the shambolic truth about life in the England dressing-room.

Coach Duncan Fletcher revealed Pietersen initially refused a request from Fletcher and captain Andrew Flintoff to move up the batting order from five to four because he didn't want to shift from his favoured position but then asked to be promoted in the second innings of this week's fourth Test because he was frustrated at having to bat with the tail.

While Buchanan prefaced his assessment of the flamboyant stroke-maker with the admission that he was not privy to what went on within the England camp, he claimed that Pietersen struck him as a player apart from most of his team-mates.

"Pietersen certainly talks about himself as a team player," Buchanan said. "Personally, I don't see any evidence of that. I do look at him on the field and he seems to distance himself quite a bit, just in where he fields.

"That might be because England want him to field out on the boundary. But he's a good fieldsman, somebody that is good around the (infield) ring and it surprises me that he always seems to be distanced from the rest of the group.

"I wonder sometimes whether the criticism of him is because he is different. Difference is an important part of the make-up of a side. But it's how that difference is managed."

Fletcher confirmed that the decision to shift Pietersen up the order at the MCG was done at the player's insistence. He claimed the sudden change in Pietersen's tune on Thursday was prompted by being left stranded at the crease with only the tailenders for company in Melbourne and Perth.

Tellingly, Fletcher also revealed that after England's first innings at the MCG, Pietersen, whose placement at No.5 was supposedly due to his ability to handle Shane Warne's leg-spin, claimed he had never seen Warne bowl better.

The 26-year-old told his coach that he found it "very, very difficult facing Warne", who took five wickets in that innings. One of those was his Hampshire team-mate, Pietersen, who is England's best-performed batsman of the series with 420 runs at an average of 60.

The revelation that the 'veteran' of just 22 Tests dictates where he bats even if it is at odds with the captain and coach portrays a player unwilling to put himself out for the benefit of his team.

It is customary for a Test captain to decide on his preferred batting order, but Fletcher confirmed that Pietersen flatly rejected his skipper's request.

"We wanted Kevin Pietersen to bat at four, where the top batters should bat," said Fletcher, who confirmed that Pietersen would remain at No.4 for the fifth and final Test in Sydney which starts on Tuesday.

"He was a little bit reluctant and, if you man-manage people, it's very wrong to make them do things that they don't want to do in tight situations. So we thought it was best, on a tour like this, if he wanted to bat No.5 and he felt comfortable there that he would bat at No.5.

"Suddenly, Kevin came to us and discussed it and said, 'look, I'm batting with the tail a lot here, I'd like to bat at four'. We sat and had the discussion and said, 'right, if you are sure you want to bat at four then move up'."

Pietersen's demeanour recently has suggested he is fed up with the humiliation being heaped upon Flintoff's team, which faces the ignominy of being the first England side in 85 years to be humbled 5-0 in Australia.

As England fought for survival on the fourth day of the third Test in Perth, Pietersen's column in an English Sunday tabloid paper announced that "our best is not good enough against this great Aussie side" and conceded that the Ashes were lost.

He was one of five players who opted out of the England players' and officials' Christmas lunch the day before the Test in Melbourne, and on the first morning he chose to attend a pre-game breakfast fund-raiser organised by Warne.

In the field, he often appeared half-hearted when chasing balls into the deep. And having eventually insisted that he adopt England's original team plan by batting at No.4, he lasted just eight balls and made a single before being bowled by Stuart Clark.

"From my point of view, Kevin Pietersen has always performed like that," Fletcher said, when asked if he was satisfied with Pietersen's commitment to the team cause.

"He's batted exceptionally well and shown he's a classy player and you have to let him play like that.

"You don't want to interfere with the way that he's always played."
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 PM   #127
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Australian opener Langer retires
Opening batsman Justin Langer has become the latest Australian veteran to announce his retirement.

Langer is set to play his 105th Test this week and will follow Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath into retirement.

He made his Test debut against the West Indies in 2003 and has scored 7,650 runs with an average of 45.26.

"There hasn't been a waking moment for the last 20 years where I haven't thought about playing Test cricket so this is a tough moment," he said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6221951.stm
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #128
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all

I wonder who we will see move up to take his place? Hussey?
Kevin McF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #129
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McF View Post
I wonder who we will see move up to take his place? Hussey?
Its hard to say. Hussey could handle it, although for some reason, I prefer to see him a little further down the order...he's a great guy to have come in if you lose a couple of early wickets. He'd probably be the most obvious choice though from the current line-up.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #130
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all

Quote:
Phil Jaques, Justin Langer's likely Test successor,
http://cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s...splay&id=38473

Interesting, Jaques played some good cricket last year
Old 01-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #131
Sydneyfan

There were quite a few cricket lovers who felt Jacques was unlucky not to get selection for this Test series. He has been playing very well in the domestic competition this season.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #132
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

YES!!!!!!!!!!! A century and a win of the stick cricket tournament!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #133
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

I used to play that game a lot, they had a world cup version on skysports.com a while back.

on a World Cup note, McGrath is still in that right? People have been treating this test as his last ever game of cricket.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #134
Sydneyfan

I think the plan is for him to retire after we've won the next World Cup, yes.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #135
Quincy
1up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I think the plan is for him to retire after we've won the next World Cup, yes.
Damn....not that we had a chance anyway.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #136
Sydneyfan

Not on current form, no. Maybe if some of your lower order knew which end of the bat to hold you'd have a chance.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #137
Quincy
1up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Not on current form, no. Maybe if some of your lower order knew which end of the bat to hold you'd have a chance.
Half an hour left of the Ashes.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #138
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Half an hour left of the Ashes.
I'd give KP a little more credit. It's got about 2 hours left I reckon.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:24 AM   #139
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Syd what can you tell me about Cameron White?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #140
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McF View Post
Syd what can you tell me about Cameron White?
I haven't seen him play much, but he's a young guy with big wraps on him and there is lots of talk of him being a star Test player of the future. He's a very good leg spinner and excellent middle order batsman - I think the idea is to make him an all-rounder ala Flintoff. He rips the Twenty20 game apart batting wise - he hold the record for the fastest very century I think.

He also captains Victoria.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #141
Quincy
1up

Vaughan to reclaim captaincy

Michael Vaughan is expected to replace Andrew Flintoff as England captain for the upcoming One-Day International series against Australia and New Zealand.

The Yorkshireman has suffered with knee problems since leading England to their epic Ashes victory in 2005, but has proved his fitness again on Friday in a game at Bowral in the south of Sydney and now looks set for a return.

Flintoff's disastrous reign at the helm culminated in a 5-0 Ashes whitewash for only the second time in history and Vaughan should now return to take some of the strain off the suffering all-rounder.

"I do believe it is a lot to ask of him, especially of a young, inexperienced side where you've got to do a lot of captaining and you're not really getting a lot of help from these young guys," Fletcher explained.

"If you look at the Australian side, [Ricky] Ponting is getting a lot of help from the experienced players around him so it is a very difficult job for Flintoff."

As to his own position in the England set-up, Fletcher has reaffirmed his commitment to the cause at least until the World Cup in March.

"I've not changed my mind. I will look at my future after the World Cup," Fletcher added.

"I don't know if I will have the time to take these players on, but I do believe I can take them forward.

"I will look at it after the World Cup, but I do believe I have the confidence of the players and the backing of the players and that's very important."

England and Vaughan look set to resume their international duties with the Twenty20 match against Australia on Tuesday.

http://home.skysports.com/ashes/arti...laim+captaincy
Old 01-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #142
old man fan

Congratulations , you managed to beat a team from a country with crap weather , where no one plays cricket because there is no space for cricket fields and very little good enough weather for the few to play it in . England being good at cricket is like asking Egypt to be good at skiing ! BUT despite all these disadvantages we still beat the mighty ? Australia on our turf , and in 2 years when all your old men are pushing zimmers around we will do it again , when captain Vaughn [ who outcaptianed Ponting last time ] returns
Old 01-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #143
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man fan View Post
England being good at cricket is like asking Egypt to be good at skiing !
The English invented the game of cricket. They are currently the number two Test side in the world.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #144
Sydneyfan

Warnie has a knack for stating the obvious.

Quote:
Warnie tells of tears and temptations
DD McNicoll
January 08, 2007

JUST days after retiring from Test cricket on the highest note possible, Shane Warne last night reflected on his lowest moment, the separation from his wife Simone.
In a deeply personal interview with British TV veteran Michael Parkinson, Warne singled out the split during the Ashes series in England in 2005 as his loneliest moment in the game.
"There were times when I sat by myself and cried," he told Parkinson, paying tribute to teammate and friend Michael Clarke for his support.

From Muhammad Ali and Geoffrey Boycott to Tiger Woods, Parkinson has shown a wily knack over the decades of persuading outwardly confident sports stars to reveal their frail inner selves. The interview with Warne was no exception.

"Some of the things that I've done and the mistakes I've made I'm not proud of, but it shows I'm human," Warne said.

Of his womanising, Warne said: "If I had stopped and thought, 'hang on a minute', I wouldn't have done it. "But unfortunately I gave way to temptation."

Warne described his divorce as inevitable, but said he now hoped for a reunion.

"We had to realise: Did we both want each other?" he said.

"I have not ruled out getting back together but we both have to work out if that is what we want."

Earlier yesterday at the Alan Davidson Oval in south Sydney, Warne and Glenn McGrath discovered there is a great difference between playing as champions in a Test for Australia and having a hit and giggle ina charity match as a couple of Testretirees.

More than 40,000 people saw the legendary bowling duo take the field in the final day of the fifth Ashes Test at the SCG on Friday. Fewer than 1500 turned up to watch them play in inner-city Alexandria yesterday.

Warne, who sparked speculation about a reunion with his former wife Simone Callahan by sharing breakfast with her aboard James Packer's motor yacht on Saturday, opened the bowling for former Kiwi captain Martin Crowe's XI in the Twenty20 match against Peter Holmes a Court's XI held to raise funds for three charities supported by the South Sydney Rabbitohs rugby league team.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #145
Sydneyfan

And now its time to start thinking about the World Cup..... Here's the groupings with country ranking beside it.

Group A

Australia (1)
South Africa (5)
Scotland ( 12)
The Netherlands (16)

Group B

Sri Lanka (2)
India (8)
Bangladesh (11)
Bermuda (15)

Group C

New Zealand (3)
England (7)
Kenya (10)
Canada (14) KEV!

Group D

Pakistan (4)
West Indies (6)
Zimbabwe (9)
Ireland (13)

http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/event.../schedule.html
Old 01-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #146
Sydneyfan

I am embarrassed on Bing Lee's behalf. This is the funniest thing I have seen in cricket since Steve Harmison's first delivery of the Ashes tour.

Quote:
IT HAS taken Brett Lee seven years and 143 gruelling one-day internationals to attain his current ranking, sixth, among the world's bowlers. But to reach No.4 in India's music charts, Lee required just 30 minutes.

In that half hour, between matches at the Champions Trophy last year, Lee penned the lyrics to You're The One For Me, a duet performed with Indian Bollywood icon Asha Bhosle. The combined drawing power of Asha and Lee ensured the single surged to No.4 inside the first week, and all but sealed plans for Lee to complete a studio album for release in India within the next year.

"We had talked about it for a while, but in the end it happened really quickly," said Lee, who plays guitar and sings in English and Hindi in the song. "We had a break in between games last year, so I wrote the lyrics in half an hour and we headed up to a studio in Mohali to record it. Then we hired a room in our hotel in Mumbai to shoot the video. I have been shooting commercials since I was 20, so it all came pretty naturally."

Those close to the Australian team are hardly surprised at Lee's latest endeavour. The fast bowler seldom travels without his guitar, and can often be found jamming with teammates and opposing players after games. Earlier this year, Lee and South Africa's A.B. de Villiers entertained guests at a Johannesburg hotel after the third Test. Lee also played with England skipper Andrew Flintoff in a hotel bar in Nagpur last year.

The fact Lee chose India to launch his music career is similarly unsurprising. Though he has never played a Test in India, Lee has established himself as a highly marketable figure in the world's second-most populous country.

"I have about a dozen offers on the table for roles in Bollywood movies, which I would love to do, but it is difficult because you need 50 or so days to shoot them," he said. "But I definitely plan to record an album in the break after the World Cup. I'm hoping to write songs that appeal to Indians."
See the full horror here:
Old 01-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #147
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

AMAZING!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #148
Quincy
1up

Why do we insist on inventing new sports to lose at?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #149
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

a perfect batting over
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #150
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Why do we insist on inventing new sports to lose at?
Did you see the score in the Twenty20 last night between Australia and England?
Sponsored Links

Tags
australia, australia rocks, australia sux, awesome 1!!1one1!1, best sport, chowder bags are ready to burst!!!, cricket, cricket is super boring, dull as fuck, go away haters, sports, stfu cricket haters, thefed