TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > 2018 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Snail Mail - Lush (6/8)

Old 05-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Snail Mail - Lush (6/8)

my most anticipated as of now. 2 BNM'd tracks.

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snail Mail - Lush (6/8)

Between her and Soccer Mommy, great year for jangly woman rock
Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Listened to this song about three weeks ago and fell instantly in love. Have played the EP like 34 times since. Can't wait. I was expecting simple, 2:20 Indie songs, a la Best Coast, but these songs are surprisingly lengthy and well written. Can definitely hear some 90s alt. rock in there, maybe even some Sun Kil Moon. Great lyrics also.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #4
andyo812

andyo812 has a spectacular aura about

Jangly women rock is an excellent genre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

To be clear its the rock thats jangly. Not the women.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
shamooth
These Mad Dogs of Glory

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

sounds good, but i think i'm too old to really get into this
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Album's out. It's solid/good, if a little samey. Currently, the EP still stands higher in my mind. But some great songs, and I still fucking love Lindsay Jordan/this band. Definitely one to watch.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

This is really good, will definitely check out more

lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Ok yeah I love this. Great guitar tones, nice production, love her voice - has achingly beautiful thing combined with a good guitar jangle going on.

lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

I have seen so much press for Snail Mail over the past 6 months. Whenever I see that amount of press for a debut album indie album from someone barely old enough to vote, with no clear biographical info (up until this week) it always makes me wonder what kind of backdoor connections they have, especially when the album isn't anything extraordinary.
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
Tim Simmons

i believe publications just want fresh acts to draw in readership. Strong female musicians are surprisingly rare, so there’s that angle. On top of that, while you may have not enjoyed the album, people and reviewers have, so she’s gonna see more features. I don’t think it’s anything more sinister.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
i believe publications just want fresh acts to draw in readership. Strong female musicians are surprisingly rare, so thereís that angle. On top of that, while you may have not enjoyed the album, people and reviewers have, so sheís gonna see more features. I donít think itís anything more sinister.
I'm naturally skeptical.
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #13
Tim Simmons

Yeah, I don't know if pay to play is really feasible for indie artists/labels in 2018, even if they are one of the bigger labels (Matador).
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

is the cover supposed to make me not even want to consider listening to the album?

because it’s pretty terrible.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
Tim Simmons

If you made it through RA's 29 despite its cover art, you can make it through this one.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If you made it through RA's 29 despite its cover art, you can make it through this one.
lol fair point!!!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #17
shamooth
These Mad Dogs of Glory

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
i always liked the 29 cover art. seemed to fit the mood of the album perfectly.
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #18
Tim Simmons

fair enough, but its still terrible.
The back of the album or the interior art makes for a better cover IMO. He's a fine artist, but that painting is not good IMO.
Sponsored Links