TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Tour Discussion > Archive > 2009
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Enmore Theatre - Sydney, Australia (January 29, 2009)

Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #51
Sunny44

Sunny44 is just really niceSunny44 is just really nice
Re: Enmore Theatre - Sydney, Australia (January 29, 2009)

I was reading some posts over there(lurking at RAA) and someone said the curfew was 11 and the curfew at the next show is midnight.
Sunny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #52
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
I was reading some posts over there(lurking at RAA) and someone said the curfew was 11 and the curfew at the next show is midnight.
Excellent! I shall be be hoping for three hour shows the next two nights!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #53
p7panthers

p7panthers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
Yeah I think that may be true. Otherwise why wouldn't they have taken a break (21 straight songs!) or even better, given an encore!

Well..first Ryan Adams concert and I got everything I dreamed of and more! Everyone was in a cheerful mood and that just further intensified the sweet music being played. Ryan played more of his older tracks, which was a pleasant surprise (eg. Before playing NYNY RA said 'haven't played this one in awhile').

Standouts IMO were definitely Come Pick Me Up, Wonderwall, Fix It, La Cienega, The Sun Also Sets and Goodnight Rose (could go the whole setlist).

Ryan even took a request..someone yelled out 'Oh My Sweet Carolina' and about two songs later he played it. Some funny banter followed it with that same guy telling Ryan how he changed the words to 'Oh My Sweet Alexandria' for his wedding. Ryan replied with a classic 'Well that just completely ruined the meaning of the song for me'! It was fantastic!

I really hope he tours again! It would be a tragedy if he didn't..rock on
p7panthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #54
Starlite
Yay.

Starlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud ofStarlite has much to be proud of

I didn't realise that Oh My Sweet Carolina was a request and a request that was honoured, at that!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #55
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Oh man....this makes me really excited for the US shows. Sounds like it was a good night all around.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #56
tangledup

tangledup is a jewel in the roughtangledup is a jewel in the rough

I like him when he's happy.

Last edited by tangledup; 01-29-2009 at 01:35 PM..
tangledup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #57
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
Oh, C, you missed out on a stellar show They even played Shakedown!
Hey, my burrito was stellar though .....
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #58
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

From fasterlouder.com

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/revie...ney-290109.htm

Quote:
Aussie Ryan Adams fans have had their patience tested many times. From his spectacular imploding ‘Tom Cruise put-your-manners-back-in moment’ at the Enmore two years ago, some have surely given up hope of seeing such a temperamental bard deliver on the promises of so many classic albums.

But with the imminent demise of current band The Cardinals, prayers for an uninterrupted set were answered. With the exceptions of 29 and Rock N Roll, Adams spanned the vast majority of his career with a crowd-pleasing two-hour marathon of hits, deeper cuts and genuinely warm banter.

Recent albums Cardinology and Easy, Tiger got a solid workout. But so did Heartbreaker and Gold, with an allegedly rusty version of New York, New York drawing a storm of praise from the opening notes. Few could have been disappointed with unique renditions of When the Stars Go Blue, Magick and Oh My Sweet Carolina.

This was undoubtedly planned and executed as a greatest-hits set, with a generous helping of humour on the side. From a mad-lib about a snowfall of ninjas to comparing his albums to orange juice, Adams was in fine form – genuinely humble, funny and present in every second he played. Thanking the audience, he seemed as enraptured with their enjoyment as they were with his playing.

The Cardinals were in fine form as well, proving they’ve been one of the tightest bands in living memory. No bum notes, extended jamming and perfect dynamic shifts left them invisible and overbearing at the same time – their subtlety written over every bar, but invisible to anyone not looking for it.

In a set full of highlights, Wonderwall and Come Pick Me Up surely glowed brighter than most. Although it is difficult to illustrate a gig in nothing but adulation, it’s harder still to deny that this was an exceptional event with a gorgeous set-list – a fitting epitaph to a band that deserve many fond memories.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #59
Sunny44

Sunny44 is just really niceSunny44 is just really nice

This was posted over at alt-country.org but thought it was worth re-doing here, especially the part about what's good and bad about the Cardinals.

This is the link

http://www.liveguide.com.au/News_and...Enmore_Theatre

29th January, 2009

The recent online posting by Ryan Adams explaining his intention to step away from the Cardinals and music in general came as a surprise to many people. When you read the full content of the blog it becomes clear that he is seeking a new balance in his life with writing being one new passion. The pending dissolution of the Cardinals gave the Enmore Theatre show added meaning and Adams certainly didn’t disappoint. Chris Familton reports.

Stringybark provided a brief support set out in front of the drawn curtains and it was an interesting choice. Perhaps someone like Perry Keyes or the band Wifey would have been more appropriate as Ross Hamilton and his son and daughter rolled out songs that included a trio of Australian classics in ‘Waltzing Matilda’, ‘I Was Only Nineteen’ and ‘I Am Australian’ in a celtic folk style. It was all very homely but a little too sweet and naive to really engage this particular audience.

The stage set for the Cardinals featured two large electric blue neon roses either side of the Cardinals logo from the recent Cardinology album. Bathed in dusky purple, red and yellow washes of dim light the band took their places, strangely at the back half of the Enmore stage leaving a gulf between musicians and fans.

Ryan is notoriously moody when it comes to live shows so it was a relief to see him smiling and joking with the band from the outset, a theme that continued through the night and involved sock challenges, interpretive dance and banter with the fans. One moment in particular stood out when, after ‘Sweet Carolina’, a gentleman yelled out that it had been his wedding song. Adams had a chat with the guy and was amused to hear that he had changed the words to “Oh my, sweet Alexandria”, forever tainting the song for Ryan.

Musically The Cardinals are a band that work both for and against Adams. There is no doubting their exceptional playing skills, particularly Neal Casal’s guitar and vocal work and the pedal steel of Jon Graboff, but they do bring a form of stasis to the songs across a nearly two hour show. The claustrophobic heat of the Enmore probably added to haze and blur of the performance but despite playing a set packed with favourites they did seem to blend together a little too seamlessly at times. Scary thoughts began entering my mind as I had flashbacks to Bon Jovi during ‘Magick’ and Dire Straits in some of the cleaner guitar tones.

The band delivered a wide song selection, maybe as a result of The Cardinals’ final months, rolling out tracks from the classic Heartbreaker right through to Cardinology. The aforementioned ‘Sweet Carolina’ along with ‘Come Pick Me Up’ were standouts and provided a good counterpoint to hear them alongside the newer songs, nine years after that debut solo record. ‘New York, New York’ hadn’t been aired live for a while and it was given a more restrained treatment, stripping it of it’s enthusiasm and turning it into a lament for the great city.

Oasis’ ‘Wonderwall’ has been covered by Adams for many years now and it was one of the highlights of the night. He gave it a depth of emotion that was missing from the original. The sparse and minimal verses allowed Adams’ voice to ring out through the venue before the band fell in behind for the chorus and the guitars clambered over each other, spiralling upward towards the rafters.

As the set wore on the thoughts of the epic Ryan Adams gig started to surface (back in 2002 at the Metro he played for three hours plus) but not much longer after ‘Goodnight Rose’ he thanked the audience, declared the band was off to get pizza and bade us farewell. The lack of an encore was a relief of sorts, especially as the crowd had already experienced a vintage Adams performance that had all the elements of tenderness, angst, humor and flippancy that makes him the unique musician and songwriter that he is. Time will tell what future form his music will take but going on tonight’s batch of songs he will be sorely missed.

by Chris Familton
Sunny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #60
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stringybark provided a brief support set out in front of the drawn curtains and it was an interesting choice. Perhaps someone like Perry Keyes or the band Wifey would have been more appropriate as Ross Hamilton and his son and daughter rolled out songs that included a trio of Australian classics in ‘Waltzing Matilda’, ‘I Was Only Nineteen’ and ‘I Am Australian’ in a celtic folk style. It was all very homely but a little too sweet and naive to really engage this particular audience
In breakling news, Humphrey B Bear has been announced as the opener for the 2010 Cardinals Australian tour.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #61
eggs
~

eggs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
In breakling news, Humphrey B Bear has been announced as the opener for the 2010 Cardinals Australian tour.
hahaha wooo
eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #62
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

Scary thoughts began entering my mind as I had flashbacks to Bon Jovi during ‘Magick’ and Dire Straits in some of the cleaner guitar tones.

I seriously hear Bon Jovi in Magick....but I like Magick, but not Bon Jovi...so, yeah, anyway
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #63
Starlite
Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Hooray for Humphrey, hooray for Humphrey Bear!!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #64
Sydneyfan

His lack of voice might be an small issue, but at least he would rock the heck out of I Am Australian on his imaginary guitar.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #65
Starlite
Yay.

His lack of pants might also be an issue
Old 02-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #66
Sydneyfan

His lack of pants would just make the show even more awesome.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #67
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

This show's now up on archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/ryana...01-29.h320.sbd
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #68
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #69
stroboscopic

stroboscopic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question: At the start of the gig (and during the band intros) there was a snippet of glam metal played. You'll hear it fade out as Ryan and the band walk on. Does anyone know the song or the band? Thinking Britny Fox or Ratt or similar. Cheers!
stroboscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links