TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Jason Isbell Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
The Jason Isbell Thread

Officially splitting him off from the DBT thread with this news.

Jason Isbell invited to audition for NBC's "The Voice"

Quote:
"I came across Jason Isbell online and was hoping to chat with him about auditioning for us if it's something that interests him?" wrote the unnamed producer, apparently unaware that Isbell earned his first record deal nearly 15 years ago, back when he joined Drive-By Truckers' lineup during the band's acclaimed Southern Rock Opera tour.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...voice-20141119
Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Jason Isbell Thread

He should do it. Great exposure.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Haha, saw him tweeting about that.

Excited to hear they are back in the studio soon working on the follow up to Southeastern. It'll be hard to top.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

dude just won the americana album, song and artist of the year awards. Wonder how many other artists like that "the voice" reaches out to.

edit: I actually just read the RS article and it's lolzy. poor jason.

Last edited by Friendly Fire; 11-19-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Friendly Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

It'd be the best possible career move for him.

He might even be able to cover Tim McGraw's "When the Stars Go Blue"...
Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

This is all hilarious. I've only seen The Voice a couple times when my old roommate was watching it, but now I'm thinking it'd be a pretty funny twist if once in a while they throw in a famous singer and see how many of the judges even turn around for him or her.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

You know Blake Shelton would turn around for Isbell.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Isbell definitely needs Blake as a mentor.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Old 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

that is creepy as fuck.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

i get the pizza hut emails, and the day i got that one, i almost burned my macbook.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
That's fucked up... I'm sure they superimpose some scrubs on the guy and re-sell it as a proctology ad.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #13
GILMORE104
Moo

Jason and Amanda released a single today called "Sea Songs" It's two tracks: I follow Rivers originally by Lykke Li and "Mutineer" by Warren Zevon. Available on iTunes and Spotify. Pretty good stuff.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Very nice

They do a great job on Mutineer. Excited to hear these cuts.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

I'm so glad they did a proper release of that Zevon song. So, so good.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #16
GILMORE104
Moo

Also, Jason was on Grantland's "The Moment" podcast today: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...-jason-isbell/
Old 02-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #17
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Really good interview. Got much more out of it than the WTF one.

Jason seems like a good dude. Looking forward to catching him and the band again in a few nights.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #18
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

They did Mutineer at the NYC show on Saturday night. It was lovely

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #19
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Caught Jason and the boys tonight in Chicago. Very nice show. Crowd was respectful in a beautiful venue.

Danko/Manuel --> Super 8 motel encore.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #20
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Man, I hate Super 8
Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #21
GILMORE104
Moo

I was just thinking "man, I bet FF would have hated that show."
Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #22
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

It wouldn't ruin an entire show for me, but I sure as hell don't listen to it willingly.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #23
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
Man, I hate Super 8
why? It took me a little while to dig it, but I enjoy it now.

Full set:
Flying Over Water
Stockholm
Decoration Day
Tour of Duty
Dress Blues
Never Gonna Change
Cover Me Up
Songs That She Sang in the Shower
Codeine
Different Days
New South Wales
Relatively Easy
Live Oak
Alabama Pines
Elephant
Goddamn Lonely Love
Outfit
Encore:
Danko / Manuel
Super 8

the Live Oak, Pines, Elephant, Lonely Love, Outfit run was great. Danko/Manuel is my favorite so
Old 02-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #24
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

It just seemed so out of place on the album, like he was grabbing for a "loud" song. It just never took for me.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #25
GILMORE104
Moo

I know Jason says he doesn't make set lists, but he's awfully repetitive these days