TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Ghost Town > The National Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

How many times have you seen The National?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
How many times have you seen The National?

Where/when? Which show did you enjoy the most, what songs have you heard etc, whatever else you feel like talking about.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: How many times have you seen The National?

I'll go first. I've seen them four times, once on the Boxer tour (Jan 2008) and three times on the High Violet tour (twice in Jan 2011 and once in Nov 2011).

The best show for me was the second of the Jan 2011 shows, the setlist was just better that night, the band was on fire and they played About Today. I was front row and Matt screamed the words to the last part of England into his microphone about 5 inches away from my face (me screaming along with him - I wouldn't be surprised if some of my voice made it out of the PA speakers).

The first show was really great too, they were nowhere near as popular yet so were playing a bar that had a capacity of about 300 people so it was really intimate. I had only been into them for a short while but had been listening to Boxer and Alligator long enough to appreciate the songs. The only song they played that I didn't know at the time was About Today. I really kicked myself when I fell in love with the song later on, until I finally got to heard it again a couple of years later.

Songs that I've heard and how many times:
Abel x4
About Today x2
Ada x1
Afraid Of Everyone x3
All The Wine x2
Anyone's Ghost x3
Apartment Story x3
Available x1
Baby, We'll Be Fine x2
Bloodbuzz Ohio x3
Brainy x1
Conversation 16 x3
Daughters of the Soho Riots x2
England x3
Fake Empire x4
Green Gloves x2
Lemonworld x1
Little Faith x1
Mistaken For Strangers x4
Mr November x4
Racing Like A Pro x1
Runaway x1
Secret Meeting x2
Slow Show x3
Sorrow x4
Squalor Victoria x3
Start A War x2
Terrible Love x3
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks x2

Songs that I haven't heard that I really want to hear (excluding TWFM as I haven't seen them yet since it was released):
Geese of Beverley Road
Lucky You
90 Mile Water Wall
Thirsty
Cherry Tree
Wasp Nest
Lit Up
So Far Around The Bend (damn I love that tune)
Think You Can Wait
Exile Vilify
Rylan
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I was trying to figure this out on my way home from Milwaukee. I think I've seen them 12 times.

Twice For Alligator (Double Door and Pitchfork)
Five For Boxer (Metro, The Vic, United Center w/ REM, Lollapalooza, Pitchfork)
Five For HV (House of Blues, Lollapalooza, Riveria, UIC w/AF, Aragon)
Once for Trouble (Riverside)

So I guess that's 13. My favorite would have to be The Double Door.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
bassgirl

bassgirl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
I'll go first. I've seen them four times, once on the Boxer tour (Jan 2008) and three times on the High Violet tour (twice in Jan 2011 and once in Nov 2011).

The best show for me was the second of the Jan 2011 shows, the setlist was just better that night, the band was on fire and they played About Today. I was front row and Matt screamed the words to the last part of England into his microphone about 5 inches away from my face (me screaming along with him - I wouldn't be surprised if some of my voice made it out of the PA speakers).
That second night at the powerstation is still in my all time top 3 gigs, just amazing!! We must have been about 2 rows behind you.

I've only seen them 3 times back to back in Jan 2011. Looking forward to them coming back next year.
bassgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

I've seen them twice, both in KC (Uptown Theater in 2010, Starlight Theater in 2011 w/ Arcade Fire).

I have tickets to their show here in October with Tame Impala
Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Just once in Detroit and it was phenomenal!
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

I've seen them three times (Knoxville, Atlanta, and Indy (w/Arcade Fire). I think Knoxville was the best. I was sitting right up front. I had only heard Alligator a little and Boxer, but seeing them live was really eye opening. They played almost nothing I knew. They were headliners for the Big Ears festival so in the spirit of the festival they said they were going to play mostly new stuff. As a result, I heard most of High Violet. It was really mesmerizing to not know any of the songs but to care immediately. Best band for sure.

Can't wait for Asheville in a few weeks!
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
allmyfriends77
Cool as lemonade

allmyfriends77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen them 4 times now.

Orpheum Theater in Madison...twice
Riverside Theater in Milwaukee...twice

I think the Orpheum Theater show when they played for Obama was pretty memorable and cool I thought.
allmyfriends77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
sadie7
slow down

sadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of lightsadie7 is a glorious beacon of light

twice - once with Arcade Fire

Favorite was The Pagent in St. Louis, small intimate venue. Matt walking on small table in front of you, jumping down beside you was quite exciting, and not even the best part.
sadie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Amanda
l o v e r

Amanda has a spectacular aura aboutAmanda has a spectacular aura about

I have only seen them twice. I wish I could go back in time and see them on the Boxer tour, because that is my favorite album, but I missed that boat.

So, I saw them the first time on the High Violet tour at The National in Richmond, VA. I had a really enjoyable time saying that I was going to see The National AT The National.

Then, I saw them on the Trouble Will Find Me tour at Barclay's Center in Brooklyn, NY. I happened to be in NYC the week they were there, and their shows within a few hours of me were happening either right before or right after my trip, so I decided that it'd just make more sense to go see them while I was in New York. Both shows were good, but this one was a better overall experience. I was in a different frame of mind, I think. I was a little nervous about leaving in the midst of such a huge crowd, so I started to walk out right at the end, but then they started singing Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks a capella, so I stopped in my tracks and listened in a state of bliss. Then, getting out turned out not to be so bad. It's amazing how quickly New Yorkers can disperse in the subway system.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Friendly Fire
Walking Around Sense

Friendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud ofFriendly Fire has much to be proud of

Hearing the new stuff live last night was a game changer.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Up to 15 now that I saw them Twice at the Chicago Theater this week.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

Just once, at the Fox Theater in Oakland. Would love to see them again. Sadly I'm not going to be in NYC this summer, I would have loved to see them play at the Prospect Park bandshell in Brooklyn - they're doing three shows there this summer.

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Seeing them tonight at Shaky Knees! I
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links