TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

First Ryan Adams Song Since NYT Article

Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
kww1

kww1 is an unknown quantity at this point
First Ryan Adams Song Since NYT Article

Since the NYT article was released I didnít think Iíd re-listen to much Ryan Adams music, at least not for a while. Driving home I turned on Miss Sunflower Blue. Itíd been a long time since I had gone back to listen to anything pre-Cardinals. Listening to the track itís so hard to imagine what was to come years later. Any once else drawn to listen to a song since the article?
kww1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Ryan Adams Song Since NYT Article

nope
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
ann ann

ann ann is an unknown quantity at this point

ya, natural ghost on repeat for days.
ann ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
nope
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
nope
Me either, weirdly. Not even a conscious choice... he just came on my iTunes and I skipped him. I never skip him
Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
futurecalling

futurecalling will become famous soon enough

I’m open to it, I suppose, eventually.

At this moment, though, I’m not exactly sure what circumstances would bring me there.
futurecalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=33265
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
ann ann

thread kind of gives me a "where were you when the twin towers fell?" vibe lol
(Sorry to be a dick OP)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

had the end come on for a mix i made last year.
skipped it right away and took all his stuff off of my itunes.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
Knotnow

Knotnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecalling View Post
Iím open to it, I suppose, eventually.

At this moment, though, Iím not exactly sure what circumstances would bring me there.
I removed quite a few of his songs from my playlist, only leaving a couple of my most favorite thinking maybe I could...but so far Iíve been skipping them and canít bring myself to listen. A combination of disgust for what happened and disappointment in what couldíve been but was ruined has taken the joy out of his songs for me right now.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
kww1

kww1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Listening totally wasnít a planned thing. What seemed strange when listening was how different the young kid on suicide handbook seemed compared to the 45 year old he would become.
kww1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #12
Knotnow

Knotnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
I was thinking kind of a deja vu.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #13
The Black Map
Parallel Lines

The Black Map will become famous soon enough

I'm also completely out...only thing I will save is the vinyl, so I can sell it all off to pay for my daughter's piano/karate lessons someday soon.
The Black Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #14
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough

Listened to the What Sin from the Henry Rollins show the other day. Still kicks complete ass.
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #15
Dan33185

Dan33185 is a jewel in the roughDan33185 is a jewel in the rough

Actors On Actors and Sweet Illusions. Still felt the same, I haven't changed my listening habits.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:41 AM   #16
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ann View Post
ya, natural ghost on repeat for days.
Probably my least favourite RA song, I wouldn't want to listen to it once, let alone on repeat. But each to their own.
lukin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:46 AM   #17
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I haven't listened to anything since the story broke. Keep listening to Phoebe's album (which I got hooked on in a big way about a week beforehand, so the timing of that was kind of weird - Motion Sickness has kind of been my soundtrack to the last week).

Haven't been able to bring myself to deleting everything, but just un-checked it all tonight so none of his stuff is synced to my iPod any longer. Because I listen to playlists a lot, and his songs are in A LOT of my playlists, and I don't want to be listening and have one come on all of a sudden. It made up 8% of everything on my iPod (8.5GB)

Still have all the vinyl too, won't be rushing out to get rid of it, it's not like I need money all of a sudden. Who knows if I'll keep it or not in the long run.
lukin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:06 AM   #18
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is on a distinguished road

I haven't listened to him in a very long time so I have been spinning a few newer tunes on Spotify... not as a fan but just out of curiosity about what he has been up to the last couple of years. My main observation is that the opening track on Prisoner sounds like... Bryan Adams. (Seriously it does).
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:11 AM   #19
a devil in paradise
massively dull

Just listened to Magick because lol wow.

The melody sounds like something I would have written at age 13... with much worse lyrics. (I mean my lyrics were obviously completely cringeworthy but I would've never sunk to "if it rained mushroom clouds").
Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 AM   #20
a devil in paradise
massively dull

Despite that I find Magick oddly pleasing, really, really dumb is sometimes better than pretentious. Kinda like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTj3dh78Zlo
Old 02-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #21
ann ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Probably my least favourite RA song, I wouldn't want to listen to it once, let alone on repeat. But each to their own.
repeatedly hit the back button on cd player on the drive to work this morning in your honor.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #22
Pound4ABrown
Customizable

Pound4ABrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't listened to anything since I popped in the S/t for a spin about a week before the article.
Pound4ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #23
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

I had a couple things pop up on ipod on random (phone on random, actually) I skipped a couple things, let a couple others play out. Felt all sad and icky.
The thing is it's not like I will boycott the music I already own. Maybe someday I can listen again without thinking about this episode.
But I can't really look at Louis CK without throwing up a little in my mouth. It's been over a year, right?
So I don't know when I'll voluntarily put Ryan back on the turntable. It's not an active boycott, I just don't know when this story won't be part of the story anymore.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #24
a devil in paradise
massively dull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
I had a couple things pop up on ipod on random (phone on random, actually) I skipped a couple things, let a couple others play out. Felt all sad and icky.
The thing is it's not like I will boycott the music I already own. Maybe someday I can listen again without thinking about this episode.
But I can't really look at Louis CK without throwing up a little in my mouth. It's been over a year, right?
So I don't know when I'll voluntarily put Ryan back on the turntable. It's not an active boycott, I just don't know when this story won't be part of the story anymore.
apropos of nothing, really, but: when Louis CK's show "Louie" (or was it "Louis"?) was a big hit I was addicted to it at first -- thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen, really -- then one episode something just snapped for me, I suddenly felt all the darkness coming from him and it wasn't funny at all anymore -- never watched another episode after that. (The scene where he tries to put all the African-American kids at the schoolbus windows is still comedy gold, though.)

Anyway when the stuff about him came out it just kind of confirmed the vibe I'd gotten years before when I shut him off.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #25
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by a devil in paradise View Post
apropos of nothing, really, but: when Louis CK's show "Louie" (or was it "Louis"?) was a big hit I was addicted to it at first -- thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen, really -- then one episode something just snapped for me, I suddenly felt all the darkness coming from him and it wasn't funny at all anymore -- never watched another episode after that. (The scene where he tries to put all the African-American kids at the schoolbus windows is still comedy gold, though.)

Anyway when the stuff about him came out it just kind of confirmed the vibe I'd gotten years before when I shut him off.
There were definitely a few moments for me on that show when I remember feeling like "Huh? huh...."and then couldn't really make sense of it so put it away, so I completely get what you're saying. It's only in retrospect where those weird feelings got some kind of confirmation. Maybe this guy is a weirdo? I dunno. YEP! This guy's a weirdo!
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links