TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Kanye West - 808s + Heartbreak

Old 10-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold
Kanye West - 808s + Heartbreak

Any other Kanye fans on here? The album comes out Nov. 25 (two days before my birthday)

Quote:
Attention, freeloaders: in the last two days Kanye West has leaked two songs off his upcoming album 808s and Heartbreak. At this rate, we'll have the whole record for the taking -- in glorious, radio-rip-quality streaming audio before the album's scheduled debut, Nov. 25.

The latest track to surface is Coldest Winter, an emotional piece inspired by the death of West's mother Donda late last year. (And, according to reports, it's the only song on the album West wrote about his mother. He has said the rest of the songs are about "someone else" -- which we're guessing is either an ex-girlfriend or, given one of the track names, RoboCop.) Coldest Winter features thunderous tribal drums, a sample taken from Tears For Fears' Memories Fade and West belting it out with a little help from his new BFF, Autotune. (Don't let our snark fool you; we think this song is good stuff.)
Amazon.com's description:

Quote:
The ten-time Grammy AwardŽ winning musical phenomenon, rapper, producer, and now singer embarks on a new musical journey taking his audience to new heights. Kanye West returns with his fourth album 808s & HEARTBREAK. His highly anticipated new album set for release on November 25th, featuring the heart pounding first single LOVE LOCKDOWN which premiered live for the first time on the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards. LOVE LOCKDOWN quickly exploded at radio with the video premiering nationwide on the Ellen Degeneres show. "Heartless," the second single, is next up to hit the airwaves further amplifying the story behind the musical direction for 808s & HEARTBREAK.
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all
Re: Kanye West - 808s + Heartbreak

this is going to be terrible
Kevin McF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

All of the songs I've heard so far have sucked.

You're not a singer, Kanye.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

I haven't heard any of them yet. Uh oh.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
clewis
gangster

clewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud ofclewis has much to be proud of

I believe there are 3 songs somewhere on Stereogum.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

I quite like Kanye West
Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the use of autotune.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

I've heard the album was going to be very experimental, but with Kanye you never really know what that means.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

You can listen to Love Lockdown here: http://www.last.fm/music/Kanye+West/_/Love+Lockdown
Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
clewis
gangster

Here's Coldest Winter:
http://stereogum.com/archives/new-ka...&utm_medium=mc
Old 10-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

I don't like that one (Love Lockdown).
Too much R&B, not enough hip hop.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewis View Post
I didn't like that one either. Damn.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy031 View Post
I've heard the album was going to be very experimental, but with Kanye you never really know what that means.
experimental means singing with auto-tune
Kevin McF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
robotulism
lamest gamer

robotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant futurerobotulism has a brilliant future

Alright, I don't listen to hip hop and have not ever knowingly heard any Kanye, but, dude, I am listening to Love Lockdown, and the higher notes when he says 'lockdown' I find pretty laughable.

That being said, I do give him props for the whole "George Bush hates black people" thing. I love it when people go crazy on live TV. Its may favorite.
robotulism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
sipowicz
When We Looked Like Giants

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all

I am going on the record to say that it is one of the best records of the year. I love it. And haven't stopped listening to it since it came out
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #16
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I am going on the record to say that it is one of the best records of the year. I love it. And haven't stopped listening to it since it came out
Wow, really? I haven't gotten it because I didn't like the few songs I heard. You might have just convinced me to get it
Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
sipowicz
When We Looked Like Giants

sipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to allsipowicz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy031 View Post
Wow, really? I haven't gotten it because I didn't like the few songs I heard. You might have just convinced me to get it
I am tell you, if you like the singles, you will love the album. if you don't like the singles, don't get it. It really is that easy.

But yeah, I would totally recomend it, I am listening to it right now...again.
sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 AM   #18
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I saw Kanye live a couple of years ago, he was good fun. I don't mind a bit of hip hop here and there but I struggle to listen to a full album of any hip-hop, even if it's an artist I like (Kanye, Missy Elliot, N.E.R.D.)
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #19
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

I'm surprised, I like this more than I thought I would.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #20
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

kanyes best album

hip hop 'okay computer'

love it
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links