TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > 2019 Albums Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

bruce springsteen / western stars [06.14]

Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
bruce springsteen / western stars [06.14]

01 Hitch Hikin’
02 The Wayfarer
03 Tucson Train
04 Western Stars
05 Sleepy Joe’s Café
06 Drive Fast (The Stuntman)
07 Chasin’ Wild Horses
08 Sundown
09 Somewhere North Of Nashville
10 Stones
11 There Goes My Miracle
12 Hello Sunshine
13 Moonlight Motel
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold
Re: bruce springsteen / western stars [06.14]

fjucking pumped!
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent. I've been out of the loop in terms of Springsteen news for ages, so I had no idea this was coming.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

First single - Hello Sunshine

Old 04-25-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Must say, I'm instantly impressed with this song. I'm a sucker for sad bastard country music, so this is right up my alley.

"You know I always liked my walking shoes
But you can get a little too fond of the blues
You walk too far, you walk away
Hello sunshine, won't you stay"
Old 04-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
hi_there

hi_there has a spectacular aura about

also surprised by how much i liked this. i'm a sucker for pedal steel, though.
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Looks like Pitchfork liked it too.

Quote:

“This is where the country opens up and things get a little weird,” Bruce Springsteen writes in his memoir about a pivotal road trip out west. It was the early ’80s and he was learning, for the first time, how to cope with depression in a real way. “As Sisyphus can count on the rock,” he writes. “I can always count on the road, the music, and the miles for whatever ails me.” Here is the implicit promise of his music, presented with all the burdens and hard consequences attached. Remember: the door is open but the ride ain’t free.

His gorgeous new song “Hello Sunshine” takes place somewhere on the journey. Its friendly, country arrangement sits within a long lineage of radio classics: “Everybody’s Talkin,’” “Gentle on My Mind,” “Good Time Charlie’s Got the Blues,” all songs borne from quiet barrooms in the early hours of the morning. As if to prove his place among them, Springsteen spends an entire verse humming along, strings guiding the way like light from a jukebox. Amid the glow, he’s surrounded by pedal steel raining on the windows, a hushed honky-tonk piano in the corner, a brush-stroked rhythm section that feels like running in place on a soft dirt road. Bold but lived-in, it’s the most vivid his music has sounded in at least two decades.

The words are sparse but important. The road is “empty” not “open.” Sunshine is a passing stranger not an absent friend. “You walk too far, you walk away,” he cautions in a low, weathered croon. As the first single from an album that’s been sidelined for the better part of the decade—first for an Obama-era protest statement, later for a jubilant if backward-looking E Street Band tour, and most recently for a one-man Broadway show that turned the span of his songbook into a seemingly complete narrative with a (mostly) happy ending—its pulse feels particularly inspired. It’s a song about changing your ways while there are still miles left to travel, sung by someone with the landscape etched into his heart.
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/hello-sunshine/
Old 04-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

mega glen campbell vibes

this might be the first springsteen album that i buy
Old 04-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

yep. i love the new single as well.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 AM   #10
sleigher

Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
thebalvenie

not too high on this one....but both tracks have me excited for the album
Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #12
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

It's very poppy. Not as strong as the first song, but that chorus got stuck in my head after a single listen.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #13
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Both tracks are amazing to me, musically and vocally. Lyrically, despite bordering on cliche at points, they still manage to hit home thanks to Total Boss Conviction (TBC) and their universality. After not loving a Bruce album since The Rising, I am VERY much looking forward to this one.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #14
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Wow I barely recognize him on the second track. I love the first track!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #15
sleigher

Old 06-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Really like the big, orchestral sound on this one. Each of the songs released so far has been quite different from the others. Should be a really interesting album.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
sleigher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Each of the songs released so far has been quite different from the others. Should be a really interesting album.
agreed - im pretty psyched!
Old 06-14-2019, 04:33 AM   #18
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...western-stars/
Old 06-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #19
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Great track and a terrific album.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 06-16-2019 at 09:00 PM..
Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #20
thebalvenie

this is a great album
Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #21
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Excellent Bruce album that only gets better with each listen. I even love There Goes My Miracle and don't find it overwrought like many others seem to. I mean, I ain't dumb, I can see that, and maybe I'm just a wreck, but that chorus fucking kills me, man.

The Boss!

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #22
enemyfire

enemyfire will become famous soon enough

I liked it OK, but I'm a bit surprised by all of the love it's getting. Maybe it'll take a few more listens.
enemyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #23
sleigher

Old 08-20-2019, 04:36 AM   #24
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

No-one could ever accuse Springsteen of missing a marketing opportunity. Not that I'm complaining - I'll look forward to this.
Sponsored Links