Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 02-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #801
bluenoir

bluenoir can only hope to improve
Re: Your favorite singer/songwriter is a Perv: The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
You need to go away.
Funny, all the years I've been reading this forum I always thought the same of you. MUAH.
bluenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #802
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post
Since I can't read bluenoir's mind and figure out their entire perspective on an issue from two sentence quips, I'm going to stop engaging with him/her.

It's a me problem, I guess.
Good idea. I think it would be for the best if we all ignored he/she.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #803
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post
JackStark's avatar swore we were only going to work on sound mixing!
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #804
bluenoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Enough with the insults.
Who is insulting you? Wow.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #805
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Been here since 2005. Probably not happening.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #806
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe its best to just lock the thread. I think the conversation has run its course anyway. No one is changing their opinions at this point and we aren't breaking new ground in terms of arguments for/against shunning him. Some people want to be fans still and others don't. It is what it is.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #807
TimbrH2001

TimbrH2001 is a jewel in the roughTimbrH2001 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoir View Post
Easy for you to say, guy with immature jerking off icon. For some of us, stories like this bring up really bad memories of sexual harassment, especially women like me who have been in the place of these young women when around men in music they idolized.

The first time I realized men in their 30s wanted to do me was when I was 11.
I was a victim of relentless emotional abuse by my ex-wife in my marriage so I can relate
TimbrH2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #808
JackStark211

Quote:
Easy for you to say, guy with immature jerking off icon. For some of us, stories like this bring up really bad memories of sexual harassment, especially women like me who have been in the place of these young women when around men in music they idolized.

The first time I realized men in their 30s wanted to do me was when I was 11.
I've been sexually assaulted. Had a woman slap her vagina juices in my face because I did not want to have sex with her. Go fuck yourself!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #809
carocat

carocat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's awesome you were so mature as a 16 year old. Expecting everyone to be as advanced as you is a crap way to empathize with your fellow man.

Also, you're making excuses for an alleged predator.

I said I was immature .
Did you read that?! Or are you being sarcastic??!

Iím not making excuses, Iím saying that predators will keep on existing. The potentials victims need to know how to detect this behaviours and give them tools on how to deal with them.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
carocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #810
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

I'm not writing this for a response or even to add to the discussion but wanted, for my own benefit only, to make a statement to try and sum up how I feel. Apologies for the self-indulgence.

Well, this is hard and I don't know if I can sum up how I feel or let it end up sounding like it's all about me. Because it isn't about me, it's about those women that he abused. I can feel betrayed and hurt but that seems a selfish reaction. However, it is how I feel. His music has meant so much to me for nearly 20 years. Throughout that time it's been the soundtrack to loneliness, love, depression, joy and so much more. It's how I've articulated so many emotions. I can't deny his music and, embarrassingly, I'm still wanting to fight its corner. So many tweets and comments have included statements about his 'average' music and I can't understand why my reaction is to want to jump in and defend it, like it's something separate from him. I guess that indicates the impact the music has had on me.

But can you separate the music from the man? I still turn to Larkin's poetry and he was racist. But this is still raw and I'll deal with that in time. What needs facing immediately is how we, as men, behave. The whole #metoo movement has been terrible and wonderful at the same time. Terrible to have to hear from women how they feel and what they face every day and accept what power men still exert over women. I was watching a John Lennon documentary yesterday and there was a discussion of one song about women (you know the one), inspired by Yoko, which summed up how women are treated in society. You wonder why there's not a violent uprising when you consider it.

I feel a bit sickened by the defence of Ryan Adams's behaviour. There is just no excusing it. And do we really need to see the fucking texts ourselves? More women will come forward and it's highly likely that he'll just be the first as women note that their voices are heard.

Sorry, this has turned into a ramble. Like you all I do feel in genuine shock.

This is a watershed though. I hope. This should be a lesson though and hopefully can help me teach my two boys about the fools we are as men and make sure we learn how to separate sexuality from power.
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #811
bluenoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinm View Post
I'm not writing this for a response or even to add to the discussion but wanted, for my own benefit only, to make a statement to try and sum up how I feel. Apologies for the self-indulgence.

Well, this is hard and I don't know if I can sum up how I feel or let it end up sounding like it's all about me. Because it isn't about me, it's about those women that he abused. I can feel betrayed and hurt but that seems a selfish reaction. However, it is how I feel. His music has meant so much to me for nearly 20 years. Throughout that time it's been the soundtrack to loneliness, love, depression, joy and so much more. It's how I've articulated so many emotions. I can't deny his music and, embarrassingly, I'm still wanting to fight its corner. So many tweets and comments have included statements about his 'average' music and I can't understand why my reaction is to want to jump in and defend it, like it's something separate from him. I guess that indicates the impact the music has had on me.

But can you separate the music from the man? I still turn to Larkin's poetry and he was racist. But this is still raw and I'll deal with that in time. What needs facing immediately is how we, as men, behave. The whole #metoo movement has been terrible and wonderful at the same time. Terrible to have to hear from women how they feel and what they face every day and accept what power men still exert over women. I was watching a John Lennon documentary yesterday and there was a discussion of one song about women (you know the one), inspired by Yoko, which summed up how women are treated in society. You wonder why there's not a violent uprising when you consider it.

I feel a bit sickened by the defence of Ryan Adams's behaviour. There is just no excusing it. And do we really need to see the fucking texts ourselves? More women will come forward and it's highly likely that he'll just be the first as women note that their voices are heard.

This is a watershed though. I hope. This should be a lesson though and hopefully can help me teach my two boys about the fools we are as men and make sure we learn how to separate sexuality from power.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for this response. Thanks for showing some male DRA fans can get it, and for articulating the nuances of the emotions involved in this. We need more of this.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #812
bcart
Suburban gangster flow

bcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Maybe its best to just lock the thread. I think the conversation has run its course anyway. No one is changing their opinions at this point and we aren't breaking new ground in terms of arguments for/against shunning him. Some people want to be fans still and others don't. It is what it is.
I think it would be good to keep it open. Sure tensions are running high, but it seems as though some people need to work through this. This is obviously a heated topic and it's good for people to get out what they need to get out. All I can say is that keeping it civil and respectful would be the best for everyone.
bcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #813
happyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcart View Post
I think it would be good to keep it open. Sure tensions are running high, but it seems as though some people need to work through this. This is obviously a heated topic and it's good for people to get out what they need to get out. All I can say is that keeping it civil and respectful would be the best for everyone.
For the most part it has been civil, which is encouraging definitely.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #814
carocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carocat View Post
I said I was immature .
Did you read that?! Or are you being sarcastic??!

Iím not making excuses, Iím saying that predators will keep on existing. The potentials victims need to know how to detect this behaviours and give them tools on how to deal with them.

Iím still wating for your answer @bluenoir. Why did you say I was bragging around on how mature I was and expected everyone to be like me?

Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #815
miked331

miked331 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks Tim. Couldnít have said it better and exactly how I feel
miked331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #816
Dan33185

Dan33185 is a jewel in the roughDan33185 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I was watching a John Lennon documentary yesterday and there was a discussion of one song about women (you know the one), inspired by Yoko, which summed up how women are treated in society. You wonder why there's not a violent uprising when you consider it.
Wasn't Lennon a known woman beater and philanderer?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #817
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Marc Maron just announced that Mandy will be on WTF on Monday. Good timing!
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #818
bluenoir

Quote:
Iím still wating for your answer @bluenoir. Why did you say I was bragging around on how mature I was and expected everyone to be like me?

Why are you blaming 14 year old girls, or their parents, for their own sexual assault?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #819
happyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
Marc Maron just announced that Mandy will be on WTF on Monday. Good timing!
Can't wait to fast forward through 36 minutes of Marc croaking about coffee, cats, the state of his garage, upcoming club gigs, G chords, whatever girl he's dating, and then the inevitable lukewarm pseudo commentary on the Ryan Adams situation before Mandy speaks.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #820
yourkingpin

yourkingpin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
More caveman talk, or at the very best, an inability to comprehend mildly complex ideas. Think about it just a little more, chief.
Bluenoir - you said the above in response to the below.

"TimbrH enabled Ryan to prey on young women by listening to his records?

I think he's talking about separating an artist from their art, which people have been doing since the beginning of time. It's quite normal and probably good to not need to like a person to appreciate what they can do with an instrument or a pen."

I think your total inability to respond to any substance from the post you're responding to suggests that you might actually be the one who should adjust how they're dealing with people here slightly. We're all upset about this situation. The only way this thread will be useful is if you refrain from slagging other posters off. Don't you think you might get further with everybody without insulting them?

I think you need to learn to separate the artist from his fans never mind his music...
yourkingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #821
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/why-a...n-adams-story/

"Every time another headline pops up about how women are underrepresented on the charts or in music production or missing from festival lineups, we should think about the countless gatekeepers who, instead of helping women, used their positions for sexual gain at the expense of their targets. "

Last edited by ViolaGal; 02-15-2019 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Quote
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #822
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

good piece.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #823
Knotnow

Knotnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post
How crazy would it be if he tried to complete those UK dates?

R. Kellz just sold out some dates in Germany not long ago.
I was wondering if he thought there was a chance, and thatís why he was trying to sell out the day before the news broke. If they donít get cancelled, those people are pretty much out of luck right? Non refundable unless the show is cancelled? It would be a crummy thing to do, and I highly doubt heíll get to play the shows. But I still wonder.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #824
carocat

Quote:
Why are you blaming 14 year old girls, or their parents, for their own sexual assault?

First : you didnít answer my question.
Second: if she was a minor so there was a ďresponsibleĒ adult around. Iím not blaming her, I am kinda blaming her parents and maybe even the ďcultureĒ she grew up on for not showing the potential dangers on this all connected society.
Third: Iíve also been in situations with young women around men in music they idolised, and Most of these girls
tried hard to sleep with those men aven though they told them they have wives/girlfriends at home. Some men also tried to pick up girls but I didnít see any situation where they were abusive or pushy. (Iím pretty sure itís because the industry I know is different from the one you do)
Forth: Iím also not engaging with you.

That's awesome you are so mature and right. Expecting everyone to be as advanced as you and insulting everyone else is a crap way to be.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #825
bluenoir

Quote:
First : you didnít answer my question.
Second: if she was a minor so there was a ďresponsibleĒ adult around. Iím not blaming her, I am kinda blaming her parents and maybe even the ďcultureĒ she grew up on for not showing the potential dangers on this all connected society.
Third: Iíve also been in situations with young women around men in music they idolised, and Most of these girls
tried hard to sleep with those men aven though they told them they have wives/girlfriends at home. Some men also tried to pick up girls but I didnít see any situation where they were abusive or pushy. (Iím pretty sure itís because the industry I know is different from the one you do)
Forth: Iím also not engaging with you.

That's awesome you are so mature and right. Expecting everyone to be as advanced as you and insulting everyone else is a crap way to be.

Please seek help. Thank you. Bye.
Sponsored Links