TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > Album Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Sun Kil Moon - April

Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Sun Kil Moon - April

For the Sun Kil Moon fans on here, they have a new album coming out April 1, called April. You can listen to one of the tracks here:

http://www.caldoverderecords.com/
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of
Re: Sun Kil Moon - April

Love Sun Kil Moon. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Kevin McF
It's Not Me, It's You

Kevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to allKevin McF is a name known to all

if you like SKM, check out Tyler Ramsey - A Long Dream About Swimming Across The Sea
Kevin McF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
hold on magnolia

hold on magnolia has a spectacular aura abouthold on magnolia has a spectacular aura about

this is my most anticipated release of the year. i love mark kozelek as much as i love ryan adams.
hold on magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Will Oldham will be on two of the tracks:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...kil-moon-album
Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
hold on magnolia

hold on magnolia has a spectacular aura abouthold on magnolia has a spectacular aura about

I just pre-ordered my copy today. the first 2,008 (see what he did there haha) copies bought through the caldo verde website will have a four song bonus disc attached and each copy will be signed and numbered. the lp will be released later on through caldo verde/vinyl films. the four song ep will be released on a seperate vinyl later on in the year. the album will have guest appearances by Will Oldham, Ben Gibbard, and Eric Pollard. It clocks in around 74 minutes.

The anticipation for this album is killing me.

http://www.sunkilmoon.com
hold on magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Streaming on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/sunkilmoon
Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Thanks M.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Ghosts on TV

Ghosts on TV will become famous soon enough

Mine got shipped yesterday. Looking forward to it.
Ghosts on TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

The A.V. Club likes it -- they gave it an A-
Quote:
After spending a good portion of the '90s writing beautiful songs with Red House Painters, Mark Kozelek has made some interesting career choices, most notably devoting entire albums to AC/DC and Modest Mouse covers. Granted, Kozelek's drastically reworked versions come out sounding like his own songs, but it means that albums of original material have gone from special to momentous occasions. April, his third full-length under the Sun Kil Moon moniker, and the first made up of new songs since 2003, easily bears the weight of expectations, proving once again that he really does transcend any slowcore or singer-songwriter tags that have been tossed his way. Lyrically, memories of growing up in Ohio in "Lucky Man" and the bittersweet love story laid out in "Moorestown" find Kozelek in fine reflective form, and musically, he couldn't sound freer, moving from quiet solo ballads to string-filled dreaminess to full-band rock songs that remain gentle under the distortion. Assistants here include RHP drummer Anthony Koutsos, Death Cab For Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard, and Will Oldham, and the influence of listening to all of that Isaac Brock guitar pops up at the end of "Tonight In Bilbao," which competes with "Moorestown" and "Lost Verses" as the album's best song. It can be counted as one of the finest moments in a career that's littered with them.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I just ripped this to my Zen tonight and went for a nice long walk with some headphones to take it in. It's great, but I still think Ghosts Of The Great Highway is better. Like The River is my current Song Of The Year.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
maleneee

maleneee is a name known to allmaleneee is a name known to allmaleneee is a name known to allmaleneee is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Like The River is my current Song Of The Year.
That song is amazing. I really like Tonight The Sky aswell.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of

I think this might be my new favorite album of '08.

Edit: actually, it probably isn't, but it's still great.
SkortBrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

So it came in the mail today, S?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
SkortBrun

SkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud ofSkortBrun has much to be proud of

Quote:
So it came in the mail today, S?
Yep, it came this morning.

The only thing I was disappointed about was Mark Kozelek's lazy autograph. All he did was wrote was "851 MK." Everything else about the album is fantastic though.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Mine is 564 (or whatever, it's hard to deciper) MK.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
SkortBrun

I can't say I blame him for getting lazy with it, 2008 copies is a lot to sign, but I still couldn't help being disappointed by that part of the package. Not that I expected a personalized message or anything.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I expected a personal message. We haven't talked in years, and I figured I was due.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
SkortBrun

Wow. Not cool, Mark. Not cool at all.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #20
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

A live album, Lost Verses Live is out May 12:

Quote:

Mark Kozelek, the eternally bummed-out mastermind behind both Red House Painters and Sun Kil Moon, has some very devoted fans. I've never actually seen Kozelek live, but I get the feeling that his shows are the type where someone will shush you if you so much as order a beer. As such, Kozelek's live shows might be better home-listening experiences than night-in-stanky-rock-club experiences. And a pair of forthcoming live albums will bring that experience to actual homes, so feel free to blab incessantly while you listen. Or not.

On May 12, Caldo Verde will release Lost Verses Live, a 74-minute document of Kozelek's solo shows in four different American cities. Kozelek recorded the album during his 2007 and 2008 acoustic tours, playing shows with only longtime sideman guitarist Phil Carney as accompaniment. The tracklist leans heavily on his Sun Kil Moon material, but there's some Red House Painters stuff mixed in there as well. The album will be available digitally on May 1, and you can pre-order it right now. The vinyl version is due in June and will include live takes on "I Am a Rock", "Last Tide", and "Floating".

As a bonus, anyone who preorders anything from Caldo Verdo beginning today will get a whole 'nother Kozelek live album for free. Kozelek recorded Find Me Ruben Olivares in the Spanish cities of Barcelona and Zaragoza.

Tracklists for both Lost Verses Live and Find Me Ruben Olivares below.

Lost Verses Live:

01 Unlit Hallway
02 Carry Me Ohio
03 Four Fingered Fisherman
04 Moorestown
05 Salvador Sanchez
06 Heron Blue
07 Lost Verses
08 Tiny Cities
09 Lucky Man
10 Send in the Clowns
11 Harper Road
12 Tonight in Bilbao
13 Blue Orchids
14 Katy Song

Find Me Ruben Olivares:

01 Heron Blue
02 Finally
03 Lucky Man
04 New Partner
05 Blue Orchids
06 Send in the Clowns
07 Find Me, Ruben Olivares
08 Trailways
09 Moorestown
10 San Geronimo
11 Summer Dress
12 Tonight in Bilbao
13 Mistress
http://pitchfork.com/news/34981-mark...o-live-albums/

http://www.caldoverderecords.com/

http://www.myspace.com/caldoverderecords
Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #21
SkortBrun

Thanks for letting us know, M.

Just pre-ordered my copy.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #22
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Pre-ordered yesterday. It tells me to expect to wait 30 days for delivery after shipping. Is it coming by rowing boat?

But I'm excited.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #23
foggy
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
A live album, Lost Verses Live is out May 12:
Very nice, I just ordered it. Thanks M!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #24
foggy
dangerous when cornered

My copies of these arrived today. They're very nice.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Oh lucky. I had notification a couple of days ago that mine had been shipped but I guess it'll take longer to the UK. I bet I get stung for Customs Duty too.