TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

What Are You Reading Now?

Old 11-20-2015, 11:51 PM   #2051
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold
Re: What Are You Reading Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post

This behemoth.
I couldn't do it. Granted, I was in a pretty bad mental state when I started it...but it felt like it might topple me over the edge. I had to quit.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #2052
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

uploadfromtaptalk1448657778065.jpeg
Just started this the other night. I've heard good things.
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #2053
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Good friend bought me this for my birthday. Halfway through. It is fantastic.

ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #2054
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleamen View Post
I couldn't do it. Granted, I was in a pretty bad mental state when I started it...but it felt like it might topple me over the edge. I had to quit.
I got halfway through and took a break. Still on that break.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #2055
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Quote:
Good friend bought me this for my birthday. Halfway through. It is fantastic.

I liked it as well. I'm curious to hear your thoughts as you come to the end.

It Chooses You was interesting too.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #2056
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post

Cool, I'll check back in when I do.

Only other book of hers I've read is No One Belongs Here More Than You, which I also enjoyed.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #2057
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Brown View Post

Spoiler:
I had a feeling Clee would end up with Rachel. But her hooking up with Phil I didn't really see coming! I thought the epilogue was a nice, if vague, way of wrapping it up. I was a little annoyed with the Ruth therapist character. I felt myself becoming ambivalent about what kind of mirror she was meant to be holding up to Cheryl. Cheryl running into Kirsten cracked me up, as did all of Phil's texts to Cheryl.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #2058
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Just about to order this:

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #2059
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Rereading Ben Webster's academic book on Frank Zappa.

Starting Philip K. Dick's "Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #2060
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

Quote:
Spoiler:
I had a feeling Clee would end up with Rachel. But her hooking up with Phil I didn't really see coming! I thought the epilogue was a nice, if vague, way of wrapping it up. I was a little annoyed with the Ruth therapist character. I felt myself becoming ambivalent about what kind of mirror she was meant to be holding up to Cheryl. Cheryl running into Kirsten cracked me up, as did all of Phil's texts to Cheryl.
Spoiler:
The texts cracked me up too. I still don't know how I feel about the end and them getting together. I suppose it works. It was a strange book, but I'm glad it git attention from critics.
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #2061
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

She might be 84 but feminist author Fay Weldon is apparently still a provocateur of note. She has just announced her latest book will be entitled Death Of She-Devil and will obviously be a sequel of sorts to her classic Lives and Loves Of A She-Devil. The big difference with the new book is that the "she-devil" in this case will transgender.

I haven't any of Weldon's more recent output, so I don't know whether this new one will be worth reading or not. But given the ongoing feud that has developed in the feminist movement between 2nd wave and intersectional feminists over trangenderism, Faye will be making headlines (and bank) with this one no matter how well written it actually is.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...of-a-she-devil
Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #2062
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
She might be 84 but feminist author Fay Weldon is apparently still a provocateur of note. She has just announced her latest book will be entitled Death Of She-Devil and will obviously be a sequel of sorts to her classic Lives and Loves Of A She-Devil. The big difference with the new book is that the "she-devil" in this case will transgender.

I haven't any of Weldon's more recent output, so I don't know whether this new one will be worth reading or not. But given the ongoing feud that has developed in the feminist movement between 2nd wave and intersectional feminists over trangenderism, Faye will be making headlines (and bank) with this one no matter how well written it actually is.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...of-a-she-devil
I think we've got some of her stuff in the house, but I haven't heard it.

I've been reading a couple books on Detroit. Arsenal of Democray and Once in a Great City. Both are good so far.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #2063
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Old 10-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #2064
shamooth

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

i'm pretty fucking excited about this.
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:41 AM   #2065
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Only about 20 pages in at the moment, but off to a great start:

Old 10-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #2066
GoodSkanky

Read the Carrie Brownstein book. Good.
Reading the Patti Smith M Train... also good.
I also read Decibel Magazine's collection celebrating 25 Hall of Fame extreme metal albums.
I've also re-read some early 80s era Teen Titans comics as well as the first 5 issues of Gore Shriek, and the Milk & Cheese series.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #2067
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #2068
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

That Springsteen autobiography is definitely on my list. Are you enjoying it?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #2069
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
That Springsteen autobiography is definitely on my list. Are you enjoying it?
oh yes.

i'm loving it.

it's about all i wanna do and life and kids and work are keeping me from it.

i'll finish this weekend on a lazy sunday
Old 11-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #2070
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I'm an admirer of Ali Rizvi's intellect, so was happy to discover he's just written a book. Looking forward to reading this.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #2071
thebalvenie

Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #2072
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
Fascinating read. I heard years ago that DiCaprio might play Mudgett in a film adaptation.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #2073
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Nearly halfway through this and very, very much enjoying it.

Went to the Q & A/book signing a few weeks ago and goddamn if he isn't one of THE nicest people I've ever met.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #2074
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooth View Post
i'm pretty fucking excited about this.
Yes! Can't wait to get that one.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #2075
foggy
dangerous when cornered

foggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud offoggy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Nearly halfway through this and very, very much enjoying it.

Went to the Q & A/book signing a few weeks ago and goddamn if he isn't one of THE nicest people I've ever met.
I loved it too. No surprise for me as I love Johnny and The Smiths. Agree too, Johnny is truly a lovely person.