TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

I'm far from certain whether there are enough of us here to make this viable, but it's worth a shot. I thought it might be useful to have a thread where we can discuss local issues, news and views that would probably not be of interest to TBYers from other parts of the globe. Whether it's politics, entertainment, general news or even sport (just for ferris ), discuss it here with your fellow Antipodeans.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

The news in NSW for the last three days has been totally dominated by the NRL Cronulla Sharks group sex scandal and the subsequent sacking from Channel 9 of Matt Johns. Has this made the news elsewhere or is a localised typhoon in a teacup?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I've seen headlines, but I don't care enough about sports to read the article. Besides, I'm not sure that sports team + sex scandal = news. That's kinda part of the protocol, isn't it? Or am I narrow-minded jerk for dismissing all athletes as horny alcoholics?

AW. I just read a second ago that Bud Tingwell passed away! Two of my friends interviewed him once and he seemed really sweet.

Apparently Nick Cave has written the sequel to Gladiator.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Heh, I tend to agree, but its a big story here because our rugby league players just seem to stumble from one sex scandal to another and Matt Johns is a celebrity in this state. To me its just underlines that there is a real homoerotic undertone in rugby......one woman on a bed ,two guys having sex with her and 10 others standing in the dark, wangs in hand... the dick to female ratio just seems a little out of balance....

Just reading about Bud now...he was delightful in every TV interview I ever saw him in

As for Nick Cave - wow, that is quite the Hollywood breakthrough.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

haha, To quote Kath and Kim, Nick's script sounds um... very noice, unusual..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...adiator-script
Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

I almost would've watched it. Not a big fan of Rusty's.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

Does Leyton Hewitt still play tennis?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine4Life View Post
Does Leyton Hewitt still play tennis?
Yep. Just not very well anymore.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #9
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

I learnt something about Chris Cairns yesterday that tickled me. He now runs a factory called Cairns Fudge.

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #10
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Thanks Syd for making this the /NZ thread - otherwise you have no idea how left out I would feel being pretty much the only kiwi here.

The Matt Johns thing has been big news here too, but I suppose it did happen here so that's not too surprising. It does seem that this happens a lot in league, usually it's a Bulldogs thing though. And I agree with the homoerotic comment, I know if I wanted more people to be in the room with me while on the job, I'd prefer for them to be of the female persuasion.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #11
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I learnt something about Chris Cairns yesterday that tickled me. He now runs a factory called Cairns Fudge.
Really? Making fudge or is it something else like a sewage treatment plant?

Him and I share the same birthday. Yeah, that's right.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

I assumed it was making fudge. A local team here named themselves Cairns Fudce C.C. in his honour

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

Yea, I saw that to. I was watching without the sound on and i was like wtf is going on here?
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

i belong here too.

anyone else excited for the new paul dempsey solo album, or just me?
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I've never been into Something for Kate, so its not really on my radar. Let me know what you think though, I'll give his MySpace a listen this weekend. I think I'll pick up the new Bob Evans tomorrow, I've read positive reviews.

Also has anyone watched that show with Jimmy Barnes hosting - My First Gig, I think its called? I keep meaning to watch it and failing.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

I watched about 15 minutes of Master Chef last night. Shows about food aren't supposed to be boring!

Also, my housemate made a funny comment last night. "There are no celebrities in Australia. Australian celebrities make their living overseas."
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
ferris wheel junkie

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
Also, my housemate made a funny comment last night. "There are no celebrities in Australia. Australian celebrities make their living overseas."
pretty much true.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #18
ferris wheel junkie

i heard a new sarah blasko track on the radio the other night. sounded different from her last two albums. i didn't even know she had a new album... sounds promising.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #19
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
In terms of actors and musicians, she's mostly right. We have a few sporting celebs, mostly in cricket, who are big stars in other countries. And we had Steve Irwin, although most Australian thought he was annoying as hell until he died and then he instantly became an icon.
People like Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Crowe, Hugh Jackman have mostly come to fame pretending to be Americans most of the time and they certainly wouldn't be making huge bucks if they only worked on local projects.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #20
ferris wheel junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
In terms of actors and musicians, she's mostly right. We have a few sporting celebs, mostly in cricket, who are big stars in other countries. And we had Steve Irwin, although most Australian thought he was annoying as hell until he died and then he instantly became an icon.
People like Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Crowe, Hugh Jackman have mostly come to fame pretending to be Americans most of the time and they certainly wouldn't be making huge bucks if they only worked on local projects.
so many of our bands just go back to their day jobs (no, not pink magic) after a few years. my guess is that it's that there isn't enough of an audience here. so they have to be really famous in australia (like powderfinger) or they have to make it overseas too (like kylie). smaller bands here just don't last.
bands from america or uk seem to be able to make enough to keep going, even if they never make it really big.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

*grumble*double post*grumble

Last edited by ishellmay; 05-19-2009 at 08:05 AM..
Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #22
ferris wheel junkie

Quote:
Sure, there isn't enough of an audience here, but it's also that a lot of Australian bands are not making terribly interesting music. And in some cases, even if they do, they don't have the marketing dollars to back them up. I've seen a few local bands here that could easily crack college radio in the U.S. if they had the right connections.

Having said that, there are also definitely a lot of shit bands who get tons of exposure by virtue of knowing the right people.
yep. but i think if there were more of an audience we might get to hear some of the good music that might be happening out there somewhere... it would bring the dollars to get it heard.

did anyone else like motor ace? i thought they were a great band. they only managed to release 2 albums though. i loved lo-tel too. same deal - only 2 albums.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
ferris wheel junkie

maybe i'm the only one who liked them
Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #24
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

hrm. triple post.

Last edited by ishellmay; 05-19-2009 at 08:06 AM..
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #25
ferris wheel junkie

why is it that so much australian music sucks?
is it because we put more emphasis on sport than cultural stuff?

actually, we do have some fantastic artists (i don't mean artists like ryan, i mean ones that make paintings and stuff ).
Sponsored Links