TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #51
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Also, The Gruen Transfer. Overrated - yea or nay? I say yea. Watched it a few times now - its okay, but I don't get why its been such a huge hit.
I mainly watched it for the segment where two competing agencies try and sell something ridiculous, like plastic surgery for kids or getting boys to join synchronized swim teams. But if I'm not mistaken the network has or wants to do away with the segment after one agency recently created something they thought was not in line with their best practices model.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #52
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that is the best bit of the show. I think the ABC canned an ad that defended the rights of fat people, from memory. Basically it was sequence of people telling really racist jokes and then linking that back to the sorts of things said about overweight people. Not sure if they got rid of the entire segment from now on or not though. I might like it better if Wil wasn't hosting perhaps. I always find him annoying.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #53
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I might like it better if Wil wasn't hosting perhaps. I always find him annoying.
Yeah. I think someone like an overweight Andrew Denton with a penchant for cigars and whiskey would've been better suited.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #54
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think poor old Schapelle was guilty, but there is no way the punishment fits the crime in this case. And even if she is putting this on, I still feel sorry for her.

Quote:
SCHAPELLE Corby has become paranoid, unkempt and has been seen carrying a doll about her prison cell as her mental condition deteriorates.

Her mother, Rosleigh Rose, has flown from Australia to Bali to be with her daughter - the best medicine the convicted drug smuggler can have, according to her doctor.

Gallery: Schapelle Corby's life

The 31-year-old was taken from Kerobokan jail, where she is serving a 20-year sentence, to Denpasar's police hospital late on Friday and is being treated by a private psychiatrist arranged by her family.

Dr Danny Tong visited Corby for 15 minutes yesterday and said that while her condition was improving she was "very depressed" and was on medication, including anti-depressants.

"Her mother is here. This is the best medicine for anybody in the world," he said.

Ms Rose spent the night in the hospital on Saturday and was with Corby again yesterday, as was Corby's sister Mercedes and her children.

Dr Tong said Corby needed to be in a psychiatric hospital in the more secluded hill town of Bangli because she was suffering a "mental problem" and needed a change of environment.

Special Section: Full coverage of Schapelle Corby's life

However, he was uncertain if Indonesian authorities would allow this.

A similar request was denied last year around the time Corby spent two weeks in hospital suffering severe depression.

Dr Tong said Corby was brought to hospital because she had become "very illogical".

Asked what Corby needed to make her better, he said: "To be set free, I think."

Those who have seen Corby say she looks confused, is often teary and at one stage was paranoid about the presence of police at the hospital. Corby was also seen walking around carrying a doll.

"According to her cellmates she doesn't sleep at night," Kerobokan jail doctor Agung Hartawan said. "Sometimes she is blank. Sometimes she just hangs around the cell, sometimes she forgets about things. Sometimes she forgets to look after herself."
Old 05-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #55
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

i wouldn't be at all surprised if she was depressed. she doesn't seem to spend as much time in jail as the average prisoner though.
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #56
Maven

Maven has a spectacular aura about

Since this is an Aussie thread, what do you natives think of actress Isabel Lucas? She was featured in NYLON magazine's "New Hollywood" issue as an up and comer, and I'm wondering what her rep is like in her homeland (Australia). She sure is pretty. Reminds me of a young Peggy Lipton (see pic).

Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #57
ferris wheel junkie

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

she was on neighbours, so it'll probably take a while or a really big movie or something for her to be taken seriously here.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #58
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Actually, I think she was Home and Away, not Neighbours. She dated Adrian Grenier for a little while, which I assume is what contributed to her status as up and comer.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #59
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

And I agree, she is pretty.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #60
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I have a former Home & Away star as my new avatar (I had the biggest crush on her as a teenager) - only reason I watched that show.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #61
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Personally, I think poor old Schapelle was guilty, but there is no way the punishment fits the crime in this case. And even if she is putting this on, I still feel sorry for her.
I have some mixed feelings about it. I don't think the punishment fits the crime either, but some would argue she got off better than the guy who was executed in Singapore for roughly the same offence.

I really don't think it helped her case that gutless tabloid journalists wreaked havoc on her family and came out with stories implying that they all of had some involvement with drugs and trafficking, her sister Mercedes especially. They painted them as clueless bogans with dirty underground connections. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but the tactics they use to report that kind of fodder as news is embarrassing and does make me feel sorry for Schapelle.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #62
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
I have a former Home & Away star as my new avatar (I had the biggest crush on her as a teenager) - only reason I watched that show.
I love Isla. She's done well for herself, even if Confessions of a Shopaholic was crap.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #63
Maven

Maven has a spectacular aura about

Here's a more recent photo of Isabel Lucas (rumors are that she's dating Jared Leto now, btw). Does anyone else see the resemblance to the young Peggy Lipton?

Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #64
ferris wheel junkie

they both look kinda vague and are mouth breathers?

Last edited by ferris wheel junkie; 05-25-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #65
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris wheel junkie View Post
they both look kind a vague and are mouth breathers?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #66
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

The most puzzling aspect of this story is the concept of a Chinese fish and chip shop.

Quote:
THIS is the first photo of the New Zealand woman, who has vanished with her partner and seven-year-old daughter, after the Westpac Bank accidently put $10million in their bank account.

Thirty-year-old Kara Yang, her partner Leo Gao, 29, and daughter Leena (also pictured here) are believed living the high-life in Asia after their extraordinary windfall.

Brief communications with friends and relatives on Facebook have revealed that Kara has boasted of drinking Chinese beer and enjoying the heat of Asia away from the New Zealand winter as authorities try to track them down.

The couple's unusual luck - or the bank's terrible mistake whichever way you view it - came soon after Leo Gao suffered a business failure with an unsuccessful service station operation in Rotorua, on New Zealand's north island.

Ironically, friends of Gao, a Korean national, have told the London Times that he dreamed of being a successful businessman - although his past form suggested otherwise - and his main aim in life was to get rich.

That aim happened a lot quicker than expected when the couple applied to Westpac for a $100,000 loan, only to be given 100 times the amount they wanted when the decimal point was put in the wrong place.

With the money in the bank, the couple told friends and Leena's school they were going on holiday but instead withdrew at least $3.8 million and left New Zealand.

Their car was found abandoned at Auckland airport and the police believe they have fled to China. Interpol and NZ police are focussing their search on Beijing and on Hong Kong.

Kara's daughter and Gao's mother and siblings who lived with him in a house near the service station, BP Barnetts, have also disappeared according to the couple's friends.

Chevi Lambert, owner of the neighbouring business Andy's Cellar told The Times that Gao "dreamt of getting rich".

"He talked to me about his dreams and ventures," Ms Lambert said. "His one big dream was to make money. He bought a fish and chip shop next door to the garage and wanted to make it into a Chinese fish and chip shop. But he didn't do anything about it.

"It just sat there empty and after about six months he sold it for less than he bought it for.

"That was around the time when BP started going downhill. He lost motivation; the pressure of working those those long hours left him really stressed," she said.

"At the same time he and Kara were having a lot of problems," she added. "They split up about a month ago but they were trying to work things out."

The first lead authorities had of the couple's whereabouts came from information leaked about how a friend Aroha Hurring, 22, had charted Kara's and the fugitives' progress from New Zealand to Hong Kong, Macau and into mainland China on her Facebook page.

On China, she says: "It's crazy. The only thing I hate is that they look at me funny."

But in a major development yesterday, a relative who was travelling with cashed-up Kiwi fugitives returned to New Zealand and into the hands of questioning police.

New Zealand police have confirmed an unnamed relative who was with the pair in Hong Kong arrived at Auckland Airport.

Detective Senior Sergeant David Harvey said police now believed the couple first fled to Hong Kong with the money and he urged them to return home.

"This pair still have families in New Zealand and at some stage they may want to return to see them," Detective Harvey said.

He said police would make a formal request to the Chinese government for help to find the pair.

"The fact that we are taking this step shows how seriously we are taking this investigation," Detective Harvey said.

The identity of the returned relative has not been revealed but NZ sources say it could be Kara's younger sister, Aroha.

Legal experts say that if caught, the fugitives could face charges of obtaining by deception and money laundering.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #67
ferris wheel junkie

http://www.myspace.com/janewoody

lofi oz pop!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:11 AM   #68
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
The most puzzling aspect of this story is the concept of a Chinese fish and chip shop.

This is pretty big news here. I sent her a friend request on facebook yesterday but she hasn't accepted yet.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #69
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
This is pretty big news here. I sent her a friend request on facebook yesterday but she hasn't accepted yet.
She is too busy counting her money. I read yesterday the couple have actually split up and I guess just divided the dough up between them. Getting caught seems pretty inevitable especially when she does genius things like talk about where she is on Facebook.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #70
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
She is too busy counting her money. I read yesterday the couple have actually split up and I guess just divided the dough up between them. Getting caught seems pretty inevitable especially when she does genius things like talk about where she is on Facebook.
She gave herself up, but the other two are still on the run. Apparently she's not going to face charges because she didn't take any money, it was them - she just went away with them.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #71
eggs
~

eggs will become famous soon enough

the chaser is back! woo.
eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #72
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggs View Post
the chaser is back! woo.
BAH! I completely forgot and missed out. Damn me and my Press Gang marathon. I hope that episode's online somewhere.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #73
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Its up on Youtube.

Here's Pt 1:

Old 05-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #74
ferris wheel junkie

lol
Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #75
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

The Bill Connelly World Tour of Iraq skit was hilarious.
Sponsored Links