TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Ghost Town > The National Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Mistaken for Strangers [Documentary]

Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mistaken for Strangers will premiere at New York City's Tribeca Film Festival on April 17, followed by a special performance by the National.
http://pitchfork.com/news/50331-watc...-films-poster/

Quote:
It was a strange movie to make. At first when we went on tour, we decided we were making a mockumentary. We did a lot of that stuff for a while, then eventually there was a lot of tension between Tom and Brandon [Reid, tour manager], and Tom had wanted to put himself a little bit into the picture.

The band is two sets of brothers, Im the guy without a brother in the band, and my mom would always be sending him links to articles about us, where it would say that all the time. We joked about it a little bit, but I think he had a little bit of a chip on his shoulder. He wanted the world to find out that there is another brother. Eventually, things kind of went south as far as his role as assistant tour manager. We crafted some of it to tell that story, and were not calling it a pure documentary, but its a very honest, personal narrative that we started chasing.

My wife, whos really good at that, she was like, thats a better movie than any kind of goofball mockumentary thing that you guys started out trying to do. Shes like, you guys are plenty funny, and Toms plenty funny, but the truthful awkward things were much more moving. His awkward questions [for the band]-- hes not faking those! That was the stuff that was the most interesting part of the movie.

He moved in with us, which was a whole toxic situation-- hes making a movie about himself and me, living with my wife and I and our daughter, and he was kind of acting as our nanny at the same time and he still does, he lives with us still!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mistaken for Strangers [Documentary]

Interesting
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
risa
Top Poster!!

risa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to allrisa is a name known to all

i was going to go to one of the showings, but then decided to just wait until was available for home viewing. wish i could get tickets to the premier though.
risa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully they stream/sell it on iTunes soon after. I can't imagine it would do well in theaters.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the Wilco film in the theater, which was a blast, but yeah... probably not a huge market. Those that would go probably live where it won't show...
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

P4K's review

http://pitchfork.com/news/50397-revi...for-strangers/
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Tim Simmons

So it sounds like its pretty enjoyable.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Rob
Administrator

I'm interested for sure
Old 04-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Hopefully we can rent it from iTunes soon. But if the LCD movie is an indicator, e probably wont see it until fall. They probably want to see what sort of buzz it can get in theaters.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

At the premiere...
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Matt's new glasses are awful.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Not one of his better pics to be sure...
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
littleamen

littleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to beholdlittleamen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Matt's new glasses are awful.
Yeah they are. Hideous.
littleamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

No style.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Rob
Administrator

I'm a fan
Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
plath

Lol this looks great!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Rob
Administrator

This now has its own website

www.mistakenforstrangersmovie.com
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #18
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

This is showing at the NZ film festival in late July/Aug so I get to see it on the big screen! Yeah!!!!
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

It screened in Sydney, but nothing listed for Melbourne yet. Wanna see iiiiit.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Corporal Brown

Corporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to allCorporal Brown is a name known to all

I really want to see this as well. I'm pretty sure it won't screen here, but perhaps it will show up on demand soon?
Corporal Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Just saw it tonight, pretty good.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #22
nyf

nyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to allnyf is a name known to all

Trailer looked scripted.
nyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
lukin
I'm talking ace

The film didn't come across as scripted at all.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Seeing it Thursday as part of the Melbourne International Film Festival. Can't wait.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #25
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Watched on Thursday. Loved it.

A friend of mine got free tickets to the film festival for last night. Asked her what we were watching. She said, "Mistaken For Strangers". I laughed. And then watched it again. It was fun watching it with people who had no idea who The National are.

It's the closest I've gotten to seeing them live, so I'll take what I can get.
Sponsored Links