TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #3251
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecalling View Post
Don Was is still liking his posts on Instagram.
Yeah a lot of people stayed silent through this. Pretty sure not all of his friends have deserted him but still dont think Blue Note will distribute the record. Whilst Im not defending him, really none of us know what has gone on, he deserves to have his say on the allegations because so far he's had a trial by Social media. Looks like he is still trying to figure out the best way to do it. Ive also got so many questions that would probably make you think I was defending him. I get that for some no matter what theyve had enough. At the moment Im sitting on the fence, see how this plays out.
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #3252
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Balphazar hasn't weighed in this either!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg efa453ecd4496aef649bbef3bd7c142a.jpg (132.1 KB, 65 views)
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #3253
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr79 View Post
I wonder who actually owns the Big Colors recordings. Think it would be Ryan/ Paxam. If it does come out, it probably wont be distributed through Blue Note now. The big labels will be staying away, this kind if thing sticks no matter the outcome.
Ryan owns the masters and he entered into a licensing agreement with Capitol. I don't know what the state of that agreement is, but either they release the record as is, they void the contract if there's a clause that allows them to do so, or he buys them out. This is further complicated if they began to press the vinyl, which I'm sure they did.

It seems pretty obvious to me that Ryan is doing this all without a plan. There's no structure to what he's doing, and we haven't heard anything from a label about the records. It seems like he's trying to force it into happening. Don Was can be on his side and still be overruled.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #3254
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

the major labels still release Chris Brown music.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #3255
TheHappiness

TheHappiness is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hmmm
They're friends.
TheHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #3256
fr79

fr79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappiness View Post
They're friends.
Yeah I know, I just needed something to replace my double post
fr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #3257
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
the major labels still release Chris Brown music.
What a world we live in.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #3258
TheHappiness

TheHappiness is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah a lot of people stayed silent through this. Pretty sure not all of his friends have deserted him but still dont think Blue Note will distribute the record. Whilst Im not defending him, really none of us know what has gone on, he deserves to have his say on the allegations because so far he's had a trial by Social media. Looks like he is still trying to figure out the best way to do it. Ive also got so many questions that would probably make you think I was defending him. I get that for some no matter what theyve had enough. At the moment Im sitting on the fence, see how this plays out.
I'm sure he has a good amount of support, but just not publicly.
TheHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:37 AM   #3259
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Thinking a bit about the Ryan stuff recently. Haven't unpacked my thoughts on everything regarding his reemergence just yet, but one of my overriding thoughts is how I guess like so many people, seemingly, are just on board with it. Like, he's blocked comments, bar a few here and there, but looks like plenty of likes. I'm assuming a lot of these would be maybe casual fans who didn't have their ear to the ground so much on everything going on. I can't imagine anyone super invested would be so quickly jumping back on the train, but hey, lots of differing opinions have been shared on here already, so who knows. I think, at present, I'm sitting somewhere around "it all looks so hollow and cringey". All this shit has definitely caused me to reflect on how I view not only his music, but art in a general sense. Weird times, friends. Still haven't chucked on the music since. Curiously awaiting the next move from here.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #3260
Neftzger

Neftzger will become famous soon enough

My opinion's if ya don't care for the man, then just ignore him and don't support it.

He's been a real POS to a lotta folk, I get it. I sympathize with those caught in his wake. But he's got a right to a career if there's people (like me) willing to still be on board, ya? It's kinda laughable (to me) the people thrashing about and telling him to get off the interwebs / stop making music. What else is he gonna do? Go back to plumbing? No!

Bring on the tunes, Ryan!
Neftzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #3261
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the way it seems to be going. If people want to support him still, they will. And people who want to forget him, they will. He'll always have this asterisk next to his name.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #3262
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neftzger View Post
My opinion's if ya don't care for the man, then just ignore him and don't support it.

He's been a real POS to a lotta folk, I get it. I sympathize with those caught in his wake. But he's got a right to a career if there's people (like me) willing to still be on board, ya? It's kinda laughable (to me) the people thrashing about and telling him to get off the interwebs / stop making music. What else is he gonna do? Go back to plumbing? No!

Bring on the tunes, Ryan!
I think every reasonable person knew that, at some point, he was going to come back and then the decision would be left to the public if they wanted to support him or not. But I think one of the massive components of the MeToo situation is that people wanted to see (alleged) abusers finally held accountable for their actions, and Ryan simply deciding that he's tired of waiting and reappearing on his own terms flies in the face of that. Plus, he appears to have learned nothing from this, so people want to hold him down longer until they're shown something.
Really, it's too easy to see how this is all going to shake out, because he has only made a soft launch at this point. There's no public plan for an album release or tour, so he's really only acting like a jackass on social media. When he has to face people and the media, and can't shelter himself from comments on Instagram, we'll see where he stands.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #3263
SweetBlackMagic
People seem to hate me...

SweetBlackMagic is on a distinguished road

He has a right to tell his side of the story. Everyone is so quick to condemn and judge these days. He's basically been deemed "guilty" by the general public who's read/heard the stories. But what exactly is he guilty of? The underage girl thing is HUGE (if true/accurate)...but most of the other stuff just sounds like an immature dude who is awful at relationships in general...with men AND women.

I don't know if there's much difference using your status as artist with a record label to try and pick up girls and just feeding them lines of bullshit, flaunting your wealth, etc. to do the same thing. They are all shallow and hurtful in their own way. He's certainly not the first to do any of those things. And wanting to act like a child after a breakup is nothing new to people who have been there before...it's how you express (or better yet don't) those feelings that matters. Nothing he's been accused of that I've read (minus the accuracy of facts with the underage girl) is even CLOSE to some of the other "offenders" out there...Chris Brown, R. Kelly, Harvey W, Spacey, MJ, etc. I mean hell...Prince ADOPTED his future wife when she was a teenager...let that sink in for a minute.

We've all known Ryan isn't the greatest human for a long time now. I doubt that will ever change. He deserves the consequences of his failed relationships and friendships...but he still has a right to tell his version of things and make a living. I keep coming back to the whole "cast the first stone" thing...a lot of people who are judging him have probably done the same or even much worse in their own lives. I'm sure he's lost some fans forever, but he can probably still lead a comfortable life off those that stick around.

Last edited by SweetBlackMagic; 07-26-2019 at 03:27 PM..
SweetBlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #3264
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBlackMagic View Post
He has a right to tell his side of the story. Everyone is so quick to condemn and judge these days. He's basically been deemed "guilty" by the general public who's read/heard the stories. But what exactly is he guilty of? The underage girl thing is HUGE (if true/accurate)...but most of the other stuff just sounds like an immature dude who is awful at relationships in general...with men AND women.

I don't know if there's much difference using your status as artist with a record label to try and pick up girls and just feeding them lines of bullshit, flaunting your wealth, etc. to do the same thing. They are all shallow and hurtful in their own way. He's certainly not the first to do any of those things. And wanting to act like a child after a breakup is nothing new to people who have been there before...it's how you express (or better yet don't) those feelings that matters. Nothing he's been accused of that I've read (minus the accuracy of facts with the underage girl) is even CLOSE to some of the other "offenders" out there...Chris Brown, R. Kelly, Harvey W, Spacey, MJ, etc. I mean hell...Prince ADOPTED his future wife when she was a teenager...let that sink in for a minute.

We've all known Ryan isn't the greatest human for a long time now.
I doubt that will ever change. He deserves the consequences of his failed relationships and friendships...but he still has a right to tell his version of things and make a living. I keep coming back to the whole "cast the first stone" thing...a lot of people who are judging him have probably done the same or even much worse in their own lives. I'm sure he's lost some fans forever, but he can probably still lead a comfortable life off those that stick around.
Well i mean this is kinda contradictory no? Based on Ryan's past, I dont think its that surprising to a lot of us. I do agree with you that his career shouldnt be ended because of not being a nice guy to women. The texting with a minor is a different story. At the end of the day, we have a choice to support the artist or not.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #3265
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBlackMagic View Post

We've all known Ryan isn't the greatest human for a long time now. I doubt that will ever change. He deserves the consequences of his failed relationships and friendships...but he still has a right to tell his version of things and make a living. I keep coming back to the whole "cast the first stone" thing...a lot of people who are judging him have probably done the same or even much worse in their own lives. I'm sure he's lost some fans forever, but he can probably still lead a comfortable life off those that stick around.
Wise words from someone...NOT MY WORDS but i definitely hold these sentiments.....

Quote:
He befriended a pubescent girl, on the pretext of an interest in her musical talent. He asked her to keep it secret, worried about her mom, with whom she still lived, finding out. At 40, Adams was lamenting that just-turned-16 Ava didn't share pictures anymore.

He could have, through her, asked to speak to her mother, given advice, set her up with a studio session, people in the business who can give guidance, etc. Instead his treatment of her put her off pursuing a career in music.

His behaviour toward Ava is not an aberration, an anomaly. It's just the extreme iteration of a pattern of action and behaviour towards a lot of women. The age aspect is the one thing that finally trips over the legal and majority cultural boundaries.

He's a piece of shit dirtbag.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #3266
SweetBlackMagic
People seem to hate me...

SweetBlackMagic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
Well i mean this is kinda contradictory no? Based on Ryan's past, I dont think its that surprising to a lot of us. I do agree with you that his career shouldnt be ended because of not being a nice guy to women. The texting with a minor is a different story. At the end of the day, we have a choice to support the artist or not.
Agreed...but until more information comes out, he can be guilty of being a general asshole without being guilty of EVERYTHING he's been accused of as far as women go. There's always three sides to stories like this...their version, his version, and the truth which is somewhere in between. The minor thing, if truly factual, is a deal breaker for me and I'm sure a lot of other people. I assume we'll hear more about the FBI investigation at some point...especially if there's something illegal that can be proved.
SweetBlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:18 AM   #3267
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone seen the @i_am_ava account posting on Twitter?
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #3268
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorgan1 View Post
no, because it says they havent posted anything?
Old 07-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #3269
thebalvenie

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
they haven't posted shit????
Old 07-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #3270
dmorgan1

Sorry, looks at their replies to tweets.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #3271
Neftzger

Neftzger will become famous soon enough

dmorg has the handle wrong. I think they're talking about @iamava7...

Some really odd stuff, repeating the same message over and over. How'd you even notice that account?
Neftzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #3272
thebalvenie

Quote:
Sorry, looks at their replies to tweets.
there are no tweets?
Old 07-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #3273
dmorgan1

Couple examples

Old 07-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #3274
dmorgan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neftzger View Post
dmorg has the handle wrong. I think they're talking about @iamava7...

Some really odd stuff, repeating the same message over and over. How'd you even notice that account?

Sorry yes thatís their name on Twitter not handle. Realise that was unhelpful. Someone on one of the Facebook groups posted some of their posts.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #3275
thebalvenie

Quote:
Sorry yes thatís their name on Twitter not handle. Realise that was unhelpful. Someone on one of the Facebook groups posted some of their posts.
gotcha.

all good.

probably a fake acct????
Sponsored Links