TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 08-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #3301
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I think the obvious answer is he saw that people were "too soon"ing him (fans or new(?) mgmt). So he stepped away.
I agree. I feel like he was testing the waters...and maybe he didn’t like the reaction he got.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #3302
CherryRedVinyl

CherryRedVinyl will become famous soon enough
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

roshea999, sorry to hear about your friend. i've never lost a dear friend to suicide; i imagine it's a very complicated and difficult thing to process. my condolences. thank you for sharing your perspective.

Last edited by CherryRedVinyl; 09-11-2019 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: .
CherryRedVinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:18 AM   #3303
CherryRedVinyl

CherryRedVinyl will become famous soon enough

i don't know if it's a trend specific to my own social circles/media-use, but across social media platforms recently, i've noticed quite an upswing in attention given to suicide-related topics lately (both people detailing their own struggles with depression and suicide-ideation as well as discussions about its prevention, recognition of signs, providing of help-line resources, etc.). i'm not entirely surprised by this if it is a trend that is scaling beyond my own experience, because i see it as a predictable symptom of the increasingly absurd socio-political-cultural-economic-etc.-etc. zeitgeist/climate we're all struggling to navigate at the moment, but it does make me cringe all-the-more harder when i see 'death jokes' and especially facetious death-related insults made in contexts online where people are largely strangers to one-another. (this might also be a factor of simply getting older and losing my tolerance for things i would've been less sensitive to as a younger person.)

it's easy to make death-related jokes or even savage online comments (kys is a personal pet-peeve) when the concept of death (and especially suicide) is still relatively abstract to you-- and it's similarly easy to be impervious to such comments under those circumstances-- but it feels to me like we're moving into a climate (or are already there) right now where the reality of these things is a lot more concrete, a lot more possible, a lot more likely, amongst any given group of strangers, than people are willing to acknowledge. maybe being cavalier about death and suicide is a bit of a coping strategy because if you can make light of it, even in unkind or insensitive ways, the ramifications of its reality don't feel as pressing or immediate or oppressive--so i don't want to necessarily shame people for what i might otherwise see as borderline-cruel commentary--but i do hope to see some kind of shift away from death and suicide-related sarcasm in social contexts online, given the intensity of the world we find ourselves coping with right now, and the likelihood that any given person's private or interior life is a mirror to that. (i might just be overly-sensitive at the moment due to the heaviness of national-news this week which included a location that was (for a short period) home to me in the past, but i don't think so.)

in case it's not self-evident, i'm bothering to give this so much attention in this space, particularly, because it does feel specifically relevant to this thread. to my knowledge, no one has really addressed this forthrightly, but the probability of death by suicide or intoxicant-related-accident is higher than average for a person under the litany of circumstances you can reasonably imagine are true of ryan right now. perhaps some would see this as an overwrought consideration, but regardless... for something like that to become a consequence of all this would be tragic and regrettable and senseless, and i think it's worth stating that for the record. at the end of the day, no matter where anyone stands on any line of discussion related to this mess, i think nearly everyone who is invested in these events is rooting for an outcome that would ultimately include ryan's well-being.

if ryan spends any of his time (stupidly) reading this board, in the face of everything else, first and foremost, i hope *that's* the thing he takes away from it.

Last edited by CherryRedVinyl; 09-11-2019 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: relevancy
CherryRedVinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #3304
SweetBlackMagic
People seem to hate me...

SweetBlackMagic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
I agree. I feel like he was testing the waters...and maybe he didn’t like the reaction he got.
I doubt it...he would have pulled everything down like he did when the story broke. At least as far as IG goes...probably would put the "black" profile pic back up on Twitter.
SweetBlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #3305
loveisreal

loveisreal can only hope to improve

Yes there are people out there that have a life outside social media platforms and fan forums.. if you do not post sth for 2 weeks does not mean that you are dead or that it has some serious reasons.
loveisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #3306
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Everyone can breath now, he posted again

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Crxaap9PW/
Old 08-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #3307
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post

FUCK YEAH!
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #3308
sad5ack

sad5ack can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post

He's got a lot to say
sad5ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #3309
thefed
PLEBISCITA

thefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to allthefed is a name known to all

window badly rotting; water/drainage issues
Old 08-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #3310
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisreal View Post
Yes there are people out there that have a life outside social media platforms and fan forums.. if you do not post sth for 2 weeks does not mean that you are dead or that it has some serious reasons.
Indeed there are, but not Ryan.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 AM   #3311
loveisreal

loveisreal can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricityscape View Post
Indeed there are, but not Ryan.
Haha yes possible...
loveisreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #3312
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisreal View Post
Haha yes OBVIOUSLY...
for sure!
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #3313
Neftzger

Neftzger will become famous soon enough

Ryan was mentioned on one of the latest Joe Rogan Experience episodes w/ Tom Papa.. several minutes after talking about Jeffrey Epstein, they began talking about famous people who have the same name.

"Isn't there two of those Cuts Like A Knife guys.. what's that guy's name? The guy from Canada? ... Bryan... ?" - Joe

"Bryan Adams. There's Bryan and there's Ryan." - Tom

"Oh.. there's Ryan. Again. Change your fucking name. You can't be Ryan Adams." - Joe

"Ryan got in trouble too." - Tom

"What about Ricky Adams? Be Ricky Adams.." - Joe

They go on about Bryan Adams for a bit and then head right back into Epstein conspiracy!

Lol
Neftzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #3314
andyo812

andyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to all

that’s interesting. i assumed Joe would be familiar. He likes some decent music ie Gary Clark, Stapleton, Sturgill, Liz Phair.

also kind of sad, always thought Ryan would have been a cool guest on Rogan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #3315
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura aboutroshea999 has a spectacular aura about

I agree that I think Ryan would have been a great guest. They gotta get Isbell on Joe's radar.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #3316
Neftzger

He’d be an even better guest now.
Could be where he says his lot to say.
And also discuss toxoplasmosis and outer space and running in the mountains.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #3317
soprano15104

soprano15104 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neftzger View Post
Ryan was mentioned on one of the latest Joe Rogan Experience episodes w/ Tom Papa.. several minutes after talking about Jeffrey Epstein, they began talking about famous people who have the same name.

"Isn't there two of those Cuts Like A Knife guys.. what's that guy's name? The guy from Canada? ... Bryan... ?" - Joe

"Bryan Adams. There's Bryan and there's Ryan." - Tom

"Oh.. there's Ryan. Again. Change your fucking name. You can't be Ryan Adams." - Joe

"Ryan got in trouble too." - Tom

"What about Ricky Adams? Be Ricky Adams.." - Joe

They go on about Bryan Adams for a bit and then head right back into Epstein conspiracy!

Lol
The Epstein stuff isn't a conspiracy anymore....
soprano15104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #3318
Neftzger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soprano15104 View Post
The Epstein stuff isn't a conspiracy anymore....
It's a conspiracy in the sense that we (the public) have no clue what actually happened or the extent of the crimes. I've been following this closely for several years now. Honestly, the foreign intelligence asset theory makes the most sense to me.

But this isn't the thread for that.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #3319
soprano15104

soprano15104 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neftzger View Post
It's a conspiracy in the sense that we (the public) have no clue what actually happened or the extent of the crimes. I've been following this closely for several years now. Honestly, the foreign intelligence asset theory makes the most sense to me.

But this isn't the thread for that.
haha very true. This is not the thread for this type of convo.
soprano15104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #3320
WreckTangle

WreckTangle will become famous soon enough

It's been months since I've posted anything - or even visited - but thought I'd check in. Ryan's music was a big part of my life for many years, but I haven't listened to any of his stuff since February. I took his songs off of my iPod and deleted my Spotify playlist. I packed up my CD's and albums. My future listening depends on how this all plays out. I know he's been posting on social media again and that there was some sort of message saying that he was going to address things...but I'm not following too closely. What's the general opinion these days?
"Everything you ever touched is undisturbed and hangs out, Like crime scene evidence undisturbed in dust, I don't dare touch anything because it's evidence of us, And it means everything, Well sort of..."
WreckTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #3321
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are looking to welcome him back, some people have abandoned him.

I think the general consensus is, the people who don't want to tolerate that kind of behavior are done with him. If people can look past it, they want Big Colors, like, yesterday. A few people are hoping he can turn his life around so they can feel OK liking him again.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #3322
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
What's the general opinion these days?
There really is no general opinion around here at least, it's pretty much all over the place. I'd say decide what works best for you in regards to his music. I personally can still enjoy it just the same as I could 8 months ago, but I know some people have disowned him as soon as the article came out. Depends on how you look at music and the person behind it I suppose. I personally don't need to know what the writer was thinking when he wrote a certain song and how he came to make it, I just know what a song means to me and that's what sticks with me.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #3323
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
It's been months since I've posted anything - or even visited - but thought I'd check in. Ryan's music was a big part of my life for many years, but I haven't listened to any of his stuff since February. I took his songs off of my iPod and deleted my Spotify playlist. I packed up my CD's and albums. My future listening depends on how this all plays out. I know he's been posting on social media again and that there was some sort of message saying that he was going to address things...but I'm not following too closely. What's the general opinion these days?
I think he got tired of hiding and wanted to do things on his own terms again. I dont really care one way or the other to hear big colors. From what i heard off it, it sames like the same stuff he was doing before off Prisoner which is meh.

There are things here and there that i see him putting on instagram that sounds good but who knows. His character grows tiresome and the last time i saw him i was really disappointed in the performance and him effectively mailing it in.

I'm not sure if we'll ever get a formal apology.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #3324
WreckTangle

WreckTangle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Some people are looking to welcome him back, some people have abandoned him.

I think the general consensus is, the people who don't want to tolerate that kind of behavior are done with him. If people can look past it, they want Big Colors, like, yesterday. A few people are hoping he can turn his life around so they can feel OK liking him again.
I've learned to live without his music. I do miss it, but I do have a problem with his behavior. I do hope he can turn his life around - not so I can feel good about liking him again, but because I do think people deserve second chances if they can honestly reflect on past mistakes and then work towards making real change in their lives. His actions up to this point, however, would indicate he is not able to make that change.
"Everything you ever touched is undisturbed and hangs out, Like crime scene evidence undisturbed in dust, I don't dare touch anything because it's evidence of us, And it means everything, Well sort of..."
WreckTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #3325
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura aboutroshea999 has a spectacular aura about

That's kind of where I am at. I've been easing back into listening again. Those Cardinals SBD shows are working back into rotation and still sound amazing.

That said, I'm pretty indifferent towards Big Colors. I wasn't too impressed with the sounds on it and I'm eager for him to try something beyond the 80's rock sound. The Deadish sounding clips he teased was much more interesting to me. We'll see what happens.

I do hope when he returns to live performing (and I believe that is inevitable) that he brings it a little more than the last few bands. I'd welcome a solo tour in small venues. Maybe he can get Dan Was and someone like Benmont Tench to tour with him a bit? I just don't want some mediocre musicians up there with him giving us half-hearted performances of the same handful of songs.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links