TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 08-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #3326
hi_there

hi_there has a spectacular aura abouthi_there has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

He had already painted himself into a corner with regards to touring band mates. Cannot see that trend reversing.
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #3327
andyo812

andyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to allandyo812 is a name known to all
Re: Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckTangle View Post
I've learned to live without his music. I do miss it, but I do have a problem with his behavior. I do hope he can turn his life around - not so I can feel good about liking him again, but because I do think people deserve second chances if they can honestly reflect on past mistakes and then work towards making real change in their lives. His actions up to this point, however, would indicate he is not able to make that change.

This.

He still hasnít said anything on the matter (which he claimed was Ďbuilt on liesí) as he claimed he would ĎSo. Sooní over a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #3328
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_there View Post
He had already painted himself into a corner with regards to touring band mates. Cannot see that trend reversing.
Meaning he won't be able to tour with a band? (Sorry if I misunderstood you). I think he'll always have the ability to get musicians to play with him, as he is a pretty decent size name still. There are plenty of local musicians I'm sure who would sign up for an opportunity to tour with him, as far as bigger names though, who knows at this point.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #3329
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
That's kind of where I am at. I've been easing back into listening again. Those Cardinals SBD shows are working back into rotation and still sound amazing.

That said, I'm pretty indifferent towards Big Colors. I wasn't too impressed with the sounds on it and I'm eager for him to try something beyond the 80's rock sound. The Deadish sounding clips he teased was much more interesting to me. We'll see what happens.

I do hope when he returns to live performing (and I believe that is inevitable) that he brings it a little more than the last few bands. I'd welcome a solo tour in small venues. Maybe he can get Dan Was and someone like Benmont Tench to tour with him a bit? I just don't want some mediocre musicians up there with him giving us half-hearted performances of the same handful of songs.
yeah...cause this stuff was really half-hearted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xuAs3Nvlc0

as for me...my band played Everything Changes and 16 Days the other night at a show. both were very well received by the crowd. i saw a few people draw closer with a curious stare like...you mean it's okay to listen to Ryan Adams again?!
it felt kinda like that moment in the movie Pleasantville where everyone can see color for the first time.

Last edited by Durk; 08-23-2019 at 05:32 PM..
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #3330
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk View Post
yeah...cause stuff this was really half-hearted

as for me...my band played Everything Changes and 16 Days the other night at a show. both were very well received by the crowd. i saw a few people draw closer with a curious stare like...you mean it's okay to listen to Ryan Adams again?!
it felt kinda like that moment in the movie Pleasantville where everyone can see color for the first time.
it's bizarre, people still play and admire Michael Jackson music. I know there are a lot of disbelievers out there despite the claims.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #3331
hi_there

hi_there has a spectacular aura abouthi_there has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
Meaning he won't be able to tour with a band? (Sorry if I misunderstood you). I think he'll always have the ability to get musicians to play with him, as he is a pretty decent size name still. There are plenty of local musicians I'm sure who would sign up for an opportunity to tour with him, as far as bigger names though, who knows at this point.

No, I was responding to the wish that maybe someone like Don Was or Benmont Tench would go out and play with him.

He's certainly still got some of his musician friends in his corner, but I would be extremely surprised to see folks of this stature play with him in public. Esp Benmont.

My friends in the music biz are still calling him "radioactive." That may very well change, but it hasn't yet.
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 PM   #3332
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Was and Trench are legacy artists in a later career stage. I'm sure they're fine working with him with the production/recording end of things, but I doubt they'd road rat on tour with him. I don't think he'll ever have as cohesive of a band as his earlier groups... just guns for hire at best.

If he shakes this and gets his career going again, he should just stick with solo acoustic. Less drama for all involved from him to the band to the sound people.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #3333
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura aboutroshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk View Post
yeah...cause stuff this was really half-hearted

That's definitely a great performance. But I think you know what I mean. The sets were all pretty much predictable. Oh great another Gimme Something Good!

I was shuffling around Live after Deaf not too long ago. That effort + the mix of older songs would be welcome again.
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #3334
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

I donít think he will ever tour again with some real exclusive dudes anymore. Just people who are stuck for cash or, if he gets his act back together and focus on country again, some hillbillies who donít give a ratís ass Ďbout women.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #3335
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
That's definitely a great performance. But I think you know what I mean. The sets were all pretty much predictable. Oh great another Gimme Something Good!

I was shuffling around Live after Deaf not too long ago. That effort + the mix of older songs would be welcome again.
yeah i do and totally agree
was just taking the piss
after seeing him a few times in recent years- with virtually no change in setlist- i wasn't eager to drop more serious coin on him live- even before all this debacle happened.
as for touring now- as ive said before- it will be very tricky solo acoustic with the hecklers that will come. better to have full band and play almost non stop to avoid what will be coming from the audience.
you think it was bad before with the flashing lights walk offs...
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:29 AM   #3336
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough

So I took a look at RAís Instagram/Twitter for the first time in awhile to see if there was any new news. Seems like heís mostly just been posting pics of other artists, but I noticed that his most recent post said ďManchester, UKĒ under his username. Iím not that up on things with how Instagram works, but I wondered if it means heís listing that as where he lives now? Or maybe itís just saying thatís where heís posting from. 🤔
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #3337
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I un-synced all his music off my iPod pretty much straight after it all went down, I listen to playlists a lot and whenever an RA song came out I had an immediate urge to reach for the skip button. So easier to un-sync all his stuff than change my playlists. Fairly non-committal purge as it would be easy to just re-sync all his stuff again, but it's been a while now and I haven't felt any urge to add it back. Haven't sold any of my vinyl yet, still sitting on the shelf. I did take the framed poster down off the wall though.

Funnily, my partner hasn't un-synced his stuff from her phone so every so often when she's got it on shuffle in the house one of his songs will come on, and I've always skipped it immediately (she's nowhere near as big a fan as I was and she says that it doesn't bother her that much - thinks he's a creep but can still listen to the music). But the other night I arrived home and Shadowlands was playing - for the first time I didn't have the immediate reaction that I have every other time - perhaps to do with it being a top 5 tune for me, I found myself anticipating hearing that amazing guitar solo again.

Still not adding it back to my iPod, and to be honest I haven't even really missed it.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #3338
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
So I took a look at RAís Instagram/Twitter for the first time in awhile to see if there was any new news. Seems like heís mostly just been posting pics of other artists, but I noticed that his most recent post said ďManchester, UKĒ under his username. Iím not that up on things with how Instagram works, but I wondered if it means heís listing that as where he lives now? Or maybe itís just saying thatís where heís posting from.

He may be in the UK mixing album number 2 with Ethan Johns as he initially signalled at the beginning of the year.
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #3339
Neftzger

Neftzger will become famous soon enough

Ryan's gotten cooler in my opinion. He's a total bad boy now.
Neftzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #3340
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
So I took a look at RAís Instagram/Twitter for the first time in awhile to see if there was any new news. Seems like heís mostly just been posting pics of other artists, but I noticed that his most recent post said ďManchester, UKĒ under his username. Iím not that up on things with how Instagram works, but I wondered if it means heís listing that as where he lives now? Or maybe itís just saying thatís where heís posting from. 🤔
I wouldn't read too much in to that, he's been putting some odd locations on his posts lately

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Qnujhpfbg/ (Jurassic World)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Z-luJHFwD/ (الهرم pyramid)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0O6ToMH9pW/ (The Sphinx and Giza Pyramids)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:24 AM   #3341
Butterfly

Butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

RIP Neal

https://www.circlesaroundthesun.com/
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #3342
Knotnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
I wouldn't read too much in to that, he's been putting some odd locations on his posts lately

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Qnujhpfbg/ (Jurassic World)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Z-luJHFwD/ (الهرم pyramid)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0O6ToMH9pW/ (The Sphinx and Giza Pyramids)
Ahh, youíre right. I hadnít noticed he was doing that. 😆
Old 08-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #3343
dmorgan1

dmorgan1 will become famous soon enough

Ryanís updated his Instagram profile to black and just removed 100 or so had been following from his list. Twitter page black too. Wonder if heís going quiet again? Perhaps in light of Nealís death.

Last edited by dmorgan1; 08-28-2019 at 12:58 AM..
dmorgan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #3344
mustbeburt

mustbeburt is on a distinguished road

I could also see him changing his profile to black as a symbol of him being in mourning over Neal's death.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #3345
Knotnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustbeburt View Post
I could also see him changing his profile to black as a symbol of him being in mourning over Neal's death.
Thatís what I took it as.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #3346
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
I un-synced all his music off my iPod pretty much straight after it all went down, I listen to playlists a lot and whenever an RA song came out I had an immediate urge to reach for the skip button. So easier to un-sync all his stuff than change my playlists. Fairly non-committal purge as it would be easy to just re-sync all his stuff again, but it's been a while now and I haven't felt any urge to add it back. Haven't sold any of my vinyl yet, still sitting on the shelf. I did take the framed poster down off the wall though.

Funnily, my partner hasn't un-synced his stuff from her phone so every so often when she's got it on shuffle in the house one of his songs will come on, and I've always skipped it immediately (she's nowhere near as big a fan as I was and she says that it doesn't bother her that much - thinks he's a creep but can still listen to the music). But the other night I arrived home and Shadowlands was playing - for the first time I didn't have the immediate reaction that I have every other time - perhaps to do with it being a top 5 tune for me, I found myself anticipating hearing that amazing guitar solo again.

Still not adding it back to my iPod, and to be honest I haven't even really missed it.
i find myself in the same boat.

especially yesterday. the news about neal just sucked...and what should come on as the first song that plays (itunes random) ...a live version w/ the cardinals of oh my sweet carolina....i could hear neal and ryan harmonzing

love is hell will always be one of the best ryan ever did and one of the most important albums for me in my life.

it might be a bit longer till i can really dig into it again...but i didn't skip the song yesterday...i wanted to hear neal and the Cards for ol' time's sake....nod to Gods
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #3347
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

I really love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oopMYA_b6CY

Ryan and Neal is Dingle, Ireland. Beautiful harmonization.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #3348
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Ryan has now been quoted in many mainstream news outlets with his words on Neal, and not one has mentioned his scandal.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #3349
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Someone's death usually isn't the time to drag someone else for their unrelated wrongdoings. It's not like he's free and clear.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #3350
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
Someone's death usually isn't the time to drag someone else for their unrelated wrongdoings. It's not like he's free and clear.
I'm surprised they quoted him at all. They could have stuck with Weir and Cris R. and the "safer" eulogies.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links