Re: Neal Casal RIP

Old 09-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #77
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura aboutroshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
I went, unfortunately i only lasted 3 hours in (around 11:15) so i missed CRB and Joe Russo but it was great to see Pemberton and Graboff. It's unfortunate that due to everything with Ryan, there wasnt really much mention about the Cardinals (or maybe i missed it driving home), other than the Let it ride song.
What was the mood like in there? It was really hard to tell from the stream and the crowd noise was almost muted. It definitely cleared out before it ended.

I was shocked at how long it lasted. I have the benefit of mountain time and was dragging by the end. But it was a wonderful concert. Really cool performances, the notes from Neal was really intense to read. He was a special guy and I'm pretty hung up on this suicide.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #78
hi_there

hi_there has a spectacular aura abouthi_there has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
What was the mood like in there? It was really hard to tell from the stream and the crowd noise was almost muted. It definitely cleared out before it ended.
The mood was intensely sad, mostly, although there were pockets of grooving and dancing, as when CATS played. Folks were attentive generally but you could also walk to the back and chat. The room was full but not packed, and there was a big balcony to escape to if you wanted to sit down.

There was a strong sense of people knowing one another already, unlike at a random show you might go to. There were definitely camps of people with a shared history of following one of Neal's bands around and lots of people with Grateful Dead shirts on.

Many people had flown in from all over, and at least a busload, maybe more, had come in from Neal's home town in New Jersey. In just a few minutes, I met several people who'd recently flown to Germany to witness CRB's "final" show. I also met many people who knew Neal personally.

I saw a lot of tears in the audience before the music started, and plenty at various points afterward. Every time I wiped a tear away, a stranger near me would notice and ask if I was OK. There was a shaman who opened and closed the evening and set a sort of spiritual tone, and Neal's guitar, jacket and surfboard were set up onstage and whenever they were lit up, it was incredibly sad. That custom Scott Walker guitar of his absolutely glows onstage, like glows from the inside, and it was so painful to see it without Neal wearing it. I'm intensely curious about what will happen to that guitar.
hi_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #79
hi_there

And I agree with you about the notes. I can barely look at them. The idea of his sitting down and writing that shit out deliberately beforehand is too much. Also the sections that were shared were so luminous and nostalgic, nothing but good memories and gratitude. Even at his literal darkest hour, the dude was a fucking beacon of good-heartedness.

There's a lesson in this for me, I think.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #80
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_there View Post
That custom Scott Walker guitar of his absolutely glows onstage, like glows from the inside, and it was so painful to see it without Neal wearing it. I'm intensely curious about what will happen to that guitar.
One of his girlfriends hinted that she might keep it. It's in the comments. https://www.instagram.com/p/B20SdKPjyoU/
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #81
hi_there

Yeah, I read that. We'll see.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #82
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Here's a written bit about the event: Tour Stories
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #83
hi_there

hm link doesn't work
Old 09-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #84
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
One of his girlfriends hinted that she might keep it. It's in the comments. https://www.instagram.com/p/B20SdKPjyoU/

I wonder what the mistake he made 2 years ago that caused his life to corrode was? I know there was some stuff about a crazy ex, maybe that just ate him up inside and he couldn't distance himself or be the bad guy? All just complete conjecture
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #85
Dan33185

Dan33185 is just really niceDan33185 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
I wonder what the mistake he made 2 years ago that caused his life to corrode was? I know there was some stuff about a crazy ex, maybe that just ate him up inside and he couldn't distance himself or be the bad guy? All just complete conjecture
He was being stalked by an ex
Old 09-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #86
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
hm link doesn't work
Gar. I checked it and everything.
Tour Stories: There's a Reward

Alternatively: https://cutt.ly/ew77Guf
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #87
hi_there

https://liveforlivemusic.com/feature...apitol-theare/
Old 09-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #88
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Quote:
The mood was intensely sad, mostly, although there were pockets of grooving and dancing, as when CATS played. Folks were attentive generally but you could also walk to the back and chat. The room was full but not packed, and there was a big balcony to escape to if you wanted to sit down.

There was a strong sense of people knowing one another already, unlike at a random show you might go to. There were definitely camps of people with a shared history of following one of Neal's bands around and lots of people with Grateful Dead shirts on.

Many people had flown in from all over, and at least a busload, maybe more, had come in from Neal's home town in New Jersey. In just a few minutes, I met several people who'd recently flown to Germany to witness CRB's "final" show. I also met many people who knew Neal personally.

I saw a lot of tears in the audience before the music started, and plenty at various points afterward. Every time I wiped a tear away, a stranger near me would notice and ask if I was OK. There was a shaman who opened and closed the evening and set a sort of spiritual tone, and Neal's guitar, jacket and surfboard were set up onstage and whenever they were lit up, it was incredibly sad. That custom Scott Walker guitar of his absolutely glows onstage, like glows from the inside, and it was so painful to see it without Neal wearing it. I'm intensely curious about what will happen to that guitar.
Thanks for sharing this. Really wish I could have been out there. Curious to see some clips from the LA tribute on Monday.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #89
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Really wish I could have been out there. Curious to see some clips from the LA tribute on Monday.
would be sweet if Bob Weir showed up.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #90
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

I was surprised Todd Snider didn't show up in New York or send in a video.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #91
hi_there

I just listened to a podcast he did a few weeks after Neal died and he said something like, "Yeah, some of those jam band dudes are killing themselves." (It was a conversation about Kurt Cobain and the 'death' of the guitar god.) He then briefly mentioned Neal by name. It was a weird moment. Very different in tone than most of the other reactions I've heard, read and seen since Neal died.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #92
Loveishello86

Anyone attend the event in LA last night? Havent heard any news about it.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #93
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

Been digging for stuff as well. Just a few clips on YouTube. Hopefully more surfaces.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #94
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

A bunch of Neal's solo records have been uploaded to digital retailers. https://t.co/PCRAVx0uvE
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links