Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

New Tracks, Prisioner 2/3

Old 07-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #76
sniffer17

sniffer17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Tracks, Prisioner 2/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo137 View Post
I'll say this: his last significant effort(s) at Electric Lady yielded Prisoner/B-Sides/PII/PIII. Who knows about the timeframe for this new stuff (Prisoner was recorded over multiple sessions spread out over time... whole process was somewhere close to 2 years), but I have to think he wouldn't book studio time at Electric Lady if he wasn't set on following through with these songs. Otherwise he'd just be messing around with them at Pax-AM to see what happens, the way he did with this "album" from earlier in the year, which has been scrapped, according to him:

I hadn't heard some of that before. Am I going mad or is the song after 7:30 from the 'HOPE' album? 'Mercy' I think? There was a video at the time where he put a load of clips from it together including that song.
sniffer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #77
Durk

Durk is just really niceDurk is just really niceDurk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Yeah. He just said he's done. 50 songs in 1 week. Which is fucking crazy.
based on Prisoner and b-sides he and Johnny T seem capable tho. Amazing.
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #78
andyo812

andyo812 has a spectacular aura about

NOW HIS HAIR IS PULLED BACK WTF IS HAPPENING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #79
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

man bun?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:55 AM   #80
OhMySweetCumbria

OhMySweetCumbria is an unknown quantity at this point

God I'm desperate for Prisoner II and III to be released, I'll be well annoyed if they're not followed through with. I don't know what the hold up would be on releasing them, either, especially with so much work going into the new music
OhMySweetCumbria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #81
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMySweetCumbria View Post
God I'm desperate for Prisoner II and III to be released, I'll be well annoyed if they're not followed through with. I don't know what the hold up would be on releasing them, either, especially with so much work going into the new music
Same here. I worry that it will get swept under the rug because of how excited he is for this new material.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #82
baptizedpotato

baptizedpotato has a spectacular aura aboutbaptizedpotato has a spectacular aura about

would love to hear some new material but i'm afraid in the best scenario this stuff he's doing now is good enough for a proper album release, which would probably be around the end of the year. seems unlikely he'll put out some of the titles he's been teasing although i'd love to be surprised.

not sure what's keeping him from doing it either? he's always been fighting the record labels (esp Lost Highway) to bring out more material, and now that he's able to do it himself via Pax-Am he seems hesitant. Not worth it? Afraid of too much exposure after all? I wonder how benificial releasing Prisoner b-sides has been. that was a great collection and would love to see more of that.
baptizedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:30 AM   #83
oreo137

oreo137 is on a distinguished road

He may be caught up in the school of thought that there's a potential risk of burning out the casual listeners by releasing one or more archived albums ahead of this new album. Obviously, he has once released 3 albums in a year, but maybe he took something away from that experience. Seems like he still likes to record massive projects like this new one and the Prisoner trilogy, but decides to rein things in (in quantity and sonically.... last minute overdubs/selections/mixing at Capitol Records for Prisoner) when it comes time for release. Maybe it's advice from management and/or friends. Who knows?
oreo137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #84
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I'd even take a digital release if nothing else.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #85
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

i was underwhelmed by the 7” prisoner b-side boxset...just too much of one sound.

hoping he moves on and does this new record that doesn’t sound like a smiths retread.

like what happened to 1985 for example? 1984 was/is amazing...why more prisoner? don’t get it.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:11 AM   #86
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

I’m tired of the Prisoner sound too. Gimme those piano songs he has been talking about on insta.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #87
JackStark211

I'd honestly rather have the rest of Prisoner than what he is working on now. I loved that sound.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #88
sleigher

sleigher is just really nicesleigher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
I'd honestly rather have the rest of Prisoner than what he is working on now. I loved that sound.
id honestly love to know what he is working on now

is it still in the vein of the byrds/teenage fanclub or is it that 'raw heartbreaker vibe'? its like 2005 all over again except nothing is seeing the light of day
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #89
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
id honestly love to know what he is working on now

is it still in the vein of the byrds/teenage fanclub or is it that 'raw heartbreaker vibe'? its like 2005 all over again except nothing is seeing the light of day
So true. Can't we just have it all.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #90
baptizedpotato

baptizedpotato has a spectacular aura aboutbaptizedpotato has a spectacular aura about

im digging the Prisoner sound too, but it can become a little repetitive at times. would love a more piano based album like 29
baptizedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #91
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptizedpotato View Post
im digging the Prisoner sound too, but it can become a little repetitive at times. would love a more piano based album like 29
Or a blend of both those sounds.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #92
SweetBlackMagic
People seem to hate me...

SweetBlackMagic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptizedpotato View Post
Isn't the last piano-based album track he released "Stop" from Cardinalogy? Almost ten years ago...wow.
SweetBlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #93
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBlackMagic View Post
Isn't the last piano-based album track he released "Stop" from Cardinalogy? Almost ten years ago...wow.
Unless you count "This Love" from 1989.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #94
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

it has been a minute since he released a proper piano song that he actually wrote, yes.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:15 AM   #95
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
it has been a minute since he released a proper piano song that he actually wrote, yes.
Eh?

Would love a piano album. Would love an acoustic album. Would love an alt-country album. Would love an album similar to the 7" series. Would love an experimental album. As love as It's not similar to Prisoner and it's b-sides. Thinking back to 1989 I really enjoy the differences within that one album. This Love, Style and Out of the Woods were quite different. Doesn't always hit the mark but it had light and shade.
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #96
OhMySweetCumbria

OhMySweetCumbria is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the love Prisoner sound and, as I've said, would 100% take more of it. Guessing as it's the same personel in the studio and the same pedal board and stuff it'll have that Prisoner vibe.

That said, I didn't gel with the b-sides as much as, being a compilation of sorts, it didn't have the album flow that Prisoner had - that said, there's not a bad song on it.

With this album in full flow I fear the teased releases will be pushed aside for now. But looks like they'll be replaced by a similar period (i.e. Album released and lots of unreleased stuff)
OhMySweetCumbria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #97
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take whatever sound he wants... I usually like it. Just put it out and I'm there. His teases about how any songs were recorded or the direction don't interest me. I'm tired of speculating or hoping what he'll do. Get off fucking instrgram and take my money!
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #98
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I'll take whatever sound he wants... I usually like it. Just put it out and I'm there. His teases about how any songs were recorded or the direction don't interest me. I'm tired of speculating or hoping what he'll do. Get off fucking instrgram and take my money!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #99
MisterChad

MisterChad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Pretty much.
MisterChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #100
andyo812

andyo812 has a spectacular aura about

Trump and Putin, Miley and Ryan..... what a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links