TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

Old 12-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #26
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Horror Film Discussion & Recommendations

The original Funny Games is still one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen. The "rewind" scene, the way Haneke manipulates the audience and breaks down the fourth wall, really make it a classic.

Spoiler.

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 12-17-2016 at 07:28 PM..
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #27
Deimos

Deimos is an unknown quantity at this point

Djinns (Stranded) was another good one as well as The House of the Devil
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #28
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Love Ti West
Old 12-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #29
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

I was happy to find a new copy of The Guest on DVD at Giant Tiger for $1.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #30
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

The guest is criminally underrated
Old 12-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #31
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Any of you guys watch Krampus? Fucking loved that movie.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #32
gweeps
=

gweeps is a jewel in the roughgweeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Yeah, it was great. To paraphrase:

Father opens fridge, "God, I'm hungry"
Wife, "There's plenty of leftovers"
Husband, "Beer it is!"
Old 12-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #33
an old love letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
i thought it was ok but i need to rematch it.

was expecting something as great as trick r treat which wasn't fair but yeah.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #34
an old love letter

Just watched this french horror film called Livid... its like a haunted house version of Don't Breathe
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #35
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw Don't Breathe. Pretty good.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #36
an old love letter

anybody watch the autopsy of jane doe

shit was tight
Old 01-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #37
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by an old love letter View Post
anybody watch the autopsy of jane doe

shit was tight

I loved that movie. Great atmosphere and superb acting. Brian Cox has always been one of my favorite. Every horror fan needs to see it. Such a different movie.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #38
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen Split yet? From what I've read, it seems like a return to form for Shyamalan at long last. Let's face it, he really had nowhere to go but up after his last few disasters.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #39
an old love letter

I loved the Visit.

Ive heard the movie is ok but the ending is great
Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #40
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I loved the Visit.

Ive heard the movie is ok but the ending is great
I forgot about The Visit. I didn't love it, but it was certainly pretty solid. Split has James McAvoy, which can never be a bad thing, even if the movie isn't anything special.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:51 AM   #41
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Just watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time on the weekend (I KNOW) and it was amazing! Still thinking about it and it's still giving me chills.

Also watched The House of the Devil which I thought was pretty great for 3/4 of the film, but wasn't so big on the ending. Still an effective little mystery/horror.

ALSO watched The Neon Demon. I've wanted to see it since it was announced and never got to it. It was... a Nicholas Winding Refn film. You either like what this dude does or you don't. I'm somewhere in the middle. I really liked the film, again, for the first 3/4, but the end left a sour taste in my mouth Certainly a step up from Only God Forgives. I loved Elle Fanning, though. Looking forward to seeing more of her in future.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 AM   #42
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
I forgot about The Visit. I didn't love it, but it was certainly pretty solid. Split has James McAvoy, which can never be a bad thing, even if the movie isn't anything special.
I saw that it had McAvoy in it and I wondered what the hell he was doing (because in my mind anyone with a decent reputation wouldn't want to be associated with a Shyalaman film). But maybe I'm wrong.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #43
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

I love a good horror anthology, and this one looks like it might have potential. As the name suggest, XX is four horror stories all directed by women. Karyn Kasuma who directed the excellent The Invitation is one of them, as is Annie Clark, better know as St Vincent. Will be interested to check it out.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:52 PM   #44
JackStark211

I also want to see XX.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #45
an old love letter

Under the Shadow

holy fuck, fellas.

That was some creepy ass shit. Similar to the Babadook but it being set in Tehran makes it even more terrifying.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #46
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Under the Shadow

holy fuck, fellas.

That was some creepy ass shit. Similar to the Babadook but it being set in Tehran makes it even more terrifying.

Great, this is on Australian Netflix. It's a public holiday here and I was looking for something to watch this afternoon. Cheers for the heads up.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #47
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Under The Shadow was terrific. Agree about the Babadook comparison -and it also had a lot of say about the veiling and general subjugation of women in Iran.

Reminded me of this photo of Iranian women taken in 1972, before the revolution.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #48
an old love letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Under The Shadow was terrific. Agree about the Babadook comparison -and it also had a lot of say about the veiling and general subjugation of women in Iran.

Reminded me of this photo of Iranian women taken in 1972, before the revolution.

Definitely! Hope this film doesn't get swept away
Old 01-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #49
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Tonight me and some buds watched Dagon and From Beyond. Awesome Stuart Gordon Lovecraft adaptations. Dagon especially is very whack.

Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #50
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Tonight me and some buds watched Dagon and From Beyond. Awesome Stuart Gordon Lovecraft adaptations. Dagon especially is very whack.

Those are classics. I am a major Lovecraft fan.