TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

Old 03-24-2015, 05:36 AM   #1126
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: the highlight of my day (now cricket discussion thread)

WOW! Easily the best game of the tournament so far. I feel pretty bad for South Africa, they played so well, but ecstatic that New Zealand have made their first ever World Cup Final!!
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #1127
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
WOW! Easily the best game of the tournament so far. I feel pretty bad for South Africa, they played so well, but ecstatic that New Zealand have made their first ever World Cup Final!!
Yeah, that was amazing. A couple of fieldings mishaps probably made the difference between the two sides. The poor Proteas looked utterly devastated at the end. Congrats to NZ for making the final. I hope we will join you there, but first we have to beat India and that's no small task.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #1128
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Phew, Australia makes it through to the final after an easier victory than I anticipated. It's an All-Antipodean WC showdown on Sunday!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #1129
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the highlights of NZ's run to the final last night, and tried to make sense of it. Slate has a new video trying to explain cricket, so maybe I'll give it another go.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...americans.html
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #1130
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

That video actually helped out a lot.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #1131
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
That video actually helped out a lot.
I just had a look at it - it does a pretty good job of explaining the basics.
I suppose I'm biased because I grew up with cricket, but I've always thought it's the terminology (and there is a lot of jargon in cricket) that's confusing, rather than the actual basic aims and rules of the game.

The 50 over version (like the World Cup) is the best place to start for cricket novices; the Test matches can go for up to five days and are probably a bit much for someone new to the game to take in at first.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #1132
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Yeah, I didn't even try to figure out terminology. But I did have to re-watch the part about them going back and forth on the pitch, and what's considered an out in that regard. I wasn't sure whether the batsman had to get back to his original wicket, or just either wicket before the ball was back.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #1133
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Proof, if any was needed, that India is more obsessed and passionate a bout cricket than any other nation.

Armed guards posted outside Dhoni's house immediately after the World Cup loss.

One fan was so distressed, he attempted to cut his own tongue out. As you do.

Quote:
March 26: India's defeat at the ICC World Cup has certainly not gone down well with many across the country, including this man who cut his tongue after India lost in the semi-final against Australia today [Australia knock India out of World Cup, reach final]According to a report in TOI, Sudhakar of Ponneri in Vellore was dejected after India lost the semi final match against Australia and in an act of desperation cut his own tongue in his house.His relatives came to his rescue and rushed him to a nearby hospital.Incidents of protests were reported from several parts of the country where fans were seen burning effigies of cricketers and were even seen smashing television sets.India lost to Australia by 95 runs.
Read more at: http://www.oneindia.com/india/vellor...e-1697170.html
Old 03-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #1134
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

So much different than the report I heard on NPR on the drive home. Most of it was explaining how it was so popular in India across classes/casts, and that it was more of a "oh well, we lost" mentality than the above. Sheesh.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:25 AM   #1135
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #1136
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
Sorry luke, NZ were fabulous on the way to the finals and I'm sure their success have been a big shot in the arm for cricket in NZ in general. Congrats to our guys, and a heartfelt goodbye to Michael Clarke in the ODI arena.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #1137
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

Terrible news for English cricket fans: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32114081
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 PM   #1138
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Aussie team for The Ashes and West Indies tour announced today:

Quote:
AUSTRALIA TEST SQUAD FOR WEST INDIES AND ASHES: Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith (vc), Fawad Ahmed, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris (Ashes only), Josh Hazlewood, Mitch Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitch Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson.
There are big wraps on Voges in particular. Maxwell and Faulkner missed out, presumably due to lack of Test experience at this stage.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #1139
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Damn. Richie Benaud has just passed away in a Sydney hospice aged 84. Watching cricket on TV will never be quite the same again.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:39 AM   #1140
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Richie had numerous fine moments over such a long cricketing and commentating career. His remarks immediately after the notorious underarm bowling incident between Oz and Nz are probably up there with his best. Integrity before nationalism. RIP

Old 05-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #1141
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

So, looks like no KP for the Ashes.

Adolf is not impressed:

Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #1142
lukin
I'm talking ace

So, Australia all out for 60 eh?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #1143
Quincy
1up

Quincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud ofQuincy has much to be proud of

Sorry?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #1144
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Absolute shocker.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #1145
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

And still on the subject of Australia's utterly humiliating capitulation, here's a fun fact. Some clever person realised that the entire, ball-by-ball summary of the Oz first innings could fit in a single flipping tweet. ffs.

Quote:
04W24W0W04100000W40000110W020000401000W00000000010 1000011W0011200010040040000W1W30000000000000400000 000000001004W
Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #1146
Izzy Eviel
I know

Rather sums up my disillusionment of the game when an Aussie humiliation happens and i'm more interested in seeing how Barnet fared in their first game back in the football league.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #1147
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Clarke has announced his retirement. I thought he was a terrific tactical captain, but it was probably time to go.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #1148
Izzy Eviel
I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
Clarke has announced his retirement. I thought he was a terrific tactical captain, but it was probably time to go.
Aussies have a great knack of picking excellent captains. Don't think anyone over here has anything bad to say about him. Top player.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #1149
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

This Cricket All-Stars Twenty20 promotional tour of the US sounds like fun. Warne, Tendulkar, McGrath, Rhodes, Lara, Vaughan, Ponting, Akram.....etc, it's an impressive golden oldies lineup. Someone must have deep pockets - you don't get these guys putting the pads back on for small change. Sounds like the crowds so far have been respectable, but mainly comprised of ex-pat Indians, Antipodeans, English etc.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #1150
lukin
I'm talking ace

Great day for the Black Caps yesterday. Hoping that the tail can hold on and Ross Taylor can make it through to 300

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links