Ryan Adams, abuse, the Stans, and people who believe no apology is good enough

Old 02-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #201
shamooth
These Mad Dogs of Glory

shamooth has a spectacular aura about
Re: Your favorite singer/songwriter is a Perv:The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
Because it's not "just one article". If you haven't seen him exhibit this behavior online at some point over the past 10+ years, I don't know what to tell you. Literally the last time he and Megan Buttersworth broke up, he tried to get his followers to harass her. This isn't new behavior, it's been on display for a long time. And it's not one source, it's seven sources within one article with ample documentation provided.
And as for the minor, they have a ton of text messages. They directly quoted him, and it's hardly stuff that could be twisted to make him sound awful. He called himself R. Kelly and said he didn't want her mom to find out. How is that not a giant red flag? How is that just jumping to conclusions?
once again you source for information is this one article.
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #202
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...gations-report

Here's one from the Guardian...

This is disappointing. I get the separating the artist from the music, but that's never what I've been about. I always hated Motley Crue, Guns and Roses, or even Oasis for wasting my time with either their bickering, mysogyny, or flaunting their drug habits. Music is sacred to me and so few of us get to do it on the level that these artists have. When one has that gift and that power, I prefer those who are accountable to their fans and colleagues musically and ethically.

The weird thing for me is whenever I saw a Natalie Prass record or another project he was working on, I always assumed it wasn't altruistic or that he was genuinely interested in their work. I think he's too self absorbed to somehow care a lot about putting out someone else's album besides his own. SO, with that said, I'm not super surprised to hear this, though I didn't take that assumption this far before.

I love many of his songs, but it will be hard for me to interpret his more intimate and emotional songs as honest. Given his loose cannon kind of persona, I guess this should not be new, but these allegations will likely change my relationship to his music.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #203
TimbrH2001

TimbrH2001 is a jewel in the roughTimbrH2001 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
he had a tumblr, which was a blog type site in the cardinology days.
Must have missed all that Tumblr jazz but I do remember Wolfhunter from the RAA days.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
TimbrH2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #204
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Map View Post
I agree with you and I'd like to see those messages released, as well.
believe me, i donít think itís going to end well, but until then i wonít pass final judgement. iím a ďfactsĒ kind of guy.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #205
TheHappiness

TheHappiness is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbrH2001 View Post
Yawn

FYI. I like you. I like your enthusiasm with DRA.

I hope, like Gordon, this blows over. Let's agree on that.
TheHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #206
thebambino

Quote:
Must have missed all that Tumblr jazz but I do remember Wolfhunter from the RAA days.

i believe tumblr was just prior to wolfhunter.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #207
TimbrH2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappiness View Post
FYI. I like you. I like your enthusiasm with DRA.

I hope, like Gordon, this blows over. Let's agree on that.
Yeah, just kind of offensive to be accused of MAGA considering MAGA is literally the opposite of everything I stand for as a person but yeah u and I usually get along well and I look forward to keeping it that way

PS: MAGA doesn't get to own 'fake news', us crazy lefties have owned it waaaay before ol Trumpy got his grubby lil paws on it
Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #208
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooth View Post
once again you source for information is this one article.
It's like talking to a wall. I literally gave you another example of him behaving like this outside of the article. So, if these seven women were all quoted in separate articles, that would somehow hold more weight to you? Do you think there's a context that would make him calling himself R. Kelly more palatable?
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #209
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...gations-report

Here's one from the Guardian...

This is disappointing. I get the separating the artist from the music, but that's never what I've been about. I always hated Motley Crue, Guns and Roses, or even Oasis for wasting my time with either their bickering, mysogyny, or flaunting their drug habits. Music is sacred to me and so few of us get to do it on the level that these artists have. When one has that gift and that power, I prefer those who are accountable to their fans and colleagues musically and ethically.

The weird thing for me is whenever I saw a Natalie Prass record or another project he was working on, I always assumed it wasn't altruistic or that he was genuinely interested in their work. I think he's too self absorbed to somehow care a lot about putting out someone else's album besides his own. SO, with that said, I'm not super surprised to hear this, though I didn't take that assumption this far before.

I love many of his songs, but it will be hard for me to interpret his more intimate and emotional songs as honest. Given his loose cannon kind of persona, I guess this should not be new, but these allegations will likely change my relationship to his music.
This person must have a boring music collection and I pity them for that.
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #210
bcart
Suburban gangster flow

bcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to all

Quote:
And as for the minor, they have a ton of text messages. They directly quoted him, and it's hardly stuff that could be twisted to make him sound awful. He called himself R. Kelly and said he didn't want her mom to find out. How is that not a giant red flag? How is that just jumping to conclusions?
Just an example of possible context:

Ryan: So how old are you really?

Ava: Will you please stop asking me that, I'm old enough lol. Hasn't anyone ever told you not to ask a woman her age?

Ryan: I just want to make sure you are at least 18, you know. Some of the stuff we get into could be a big deal if you were not?

Ava: Yep, you are a pedofile lol

Ryan: If people knew they would say I was like R Kelley lol

Ava: lol

Ryan: I just don't want anything crazy getting out? I just don't want you telling me you're 14 and tell me that your mom is not gonna kill me if she finds out we even text.

Ava: haha, don't worry about it.
bcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #211
SonofabitchVanOwen

Are we at the point of writing fanfics of Ryan's correspondences with a 14 year old girl?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #212
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
was this on myspace or facebook?
Occasionally he would disappear off tumblr for a bit and we would get lots of super-fans (mainly female) who would turn up here, hoping to get his attention that way. It was amusing and/or annoying for the TBY regulars, but it also was insightful at times. There was no doubt he enjoyed the attention (no crime in that), but also there seemed times when he was deliberately creating and directing the online drama. Some of the old threads from those days should still be here.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #213
thebambino

Quote:
It's like talking to a wall. I literally gave you another example of him behaving like this outside of the article. So, if these seven women were all quoted in separate articles, that would somehow hold more weight to you? Do you think there's a context that would make him calling himself R. Kelly more palatable?
we donít know the full context of him calling himself R Kelly...i agree, it probably wonít end well, but what if it went like this...how old are you again ? iím 18...ok good i donít want to be r kelly or something lol...

now that would be totally fucking different wouldnít it?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #214
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
he had a tumblr, which was a blog type site in the cardinology days.
interesting - was that 'foggy'?

if it was around cardinology that would explain why i dont remember anything about it - i had checked out right around there for a few yrs
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 PM   #215
shamooth
These Mad Dogs of Glory

Quote:
you are a fucking retard. you don't think people lie? you don't think people embellish?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #216
bcart
Suburban gangster flow

bcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to allbcart is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post
Are we at the point of writing fanfics of Ryan's correspondences with a 14 year old girl?
Just trying to provide some clarity on how some of those quotes could be taken out of context. No real information provided on how this article was vetted and authenticated.
bcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 PM   #217
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post
Yeah, that was weird.

Quote:
we donít know the full context of him calling himself R Kelly...i agree, it probably wonít end well, but what if it went like this...how old are you again ? iím 18...ok good i donít want to be r kelly or something lol...

now that would be totally fucking different wouldnít it?
I think the fact that her age was repeatedly harped on shows that he wasn't that easily convinced, and at worst, was fully aware he was doing something he shouldn't have. The article freely discloses that she lied about her age, and that he still wasn't buying it.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #218
SonofabitchVanOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
interesting - was that 'foggy'?

if it was around cardinology that would explain why i dont remember anything about it - i had checked out right around there for a few yrs
I always thought the foggy thing was insanely creepy. It also seemed like a low point for him emotionally.

Cardinology, to me, still feels like his most depressed/depressing collection of songs. The whole thing is in the vein of a person pretending they're alright and on the mend when, in actuality, they're deeper in the shit than ever.

Knowing what he was capable with the other 14 year old, I wouldn't be surprised if he did some other severely questionable shit during moments of intense weakness like that.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #219
folkjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooth View Post
you are a fucking retard. you don't think people lie? you don't think people embellish?
Seven women with stories that all share a common behavioral pattern, which has been displayed through his posts on social media independent of the article. I didn't say that everything was 100% truthful, but your assertion that seven women lied, while other women are corroborating the stories on social media, just because it's one article is totally intellectually dishonest.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #220
Teenie Smith-Macbeth

Teenie Smith-Macbeth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
That's weird, the link is broken but it's still on the NYTimes front page. Right under Manafort lied to prosecutors.
Great to see the NYT handling this with the appropriate gravity /s
Teenie Smith-Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #221
TimbrH2001

Quote:
Seven women with stories that all share a common behavioral pattern, which has been displayed through his posts on social media independent of the article. I didn't say that everything was 100% truthful, but your assertion that seven women lied, while other women are corroborating the stories on social media, just because it's one article is totally intellectually dishonest.
It's really the one story with the minor though that's actually newsworthy and not just Ryan being the same ol Ryan we're already numb to.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #222
TimbrH2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenie Smith-Macbeth View Post
Great to see the NYT handling this with the appropriate gravity /s
What they really need to be reporting on is the disgusting level of wealth inequality that's been established here in the USA over the past decade or so. Won't matter if we're all equal if we're all slaves working entire days for a bag of rice. All this identity politics stuff is simply a corporate media driven distraction to the most important problem this country is facing currently.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #223
bruit
Yo Fat Chow

bruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to beholdbruit is a splendid one to behold

The 14 year old is a game changer for me.

The others sound like unfortunate relationships with a narcissist; and who hasn't had one of those?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #224
shamooth
These Mad Dogs of Glory

Quote:

no it's not. so he's a dick? stay away.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #225
folkjam

Quote:
It's really the one story with the minor though that's actually newsworthy and not just Ryan being the same ol Ryan we're already numb to.

Yes, the instance involving the minor is more significant, but aside from harping on her age, his behavior towards her was pretty consistent to how he treated the others. Whether you're numb to it is a personal matter.
Sponsored Links