TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams' Music Now

Old 02-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #76
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future
Re: Ryan Adams' Music Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
Hmm...I thought some of these lyrics were different, here’s my take:

“I’ve been on repeat since yesterday”

“The lines on my face
Like a map of my sins”

“And the palms are the color of doom”

“Put my hand thought the mirror, let the water run”

“Following the bullet back into the gun”

Isn’t that what they are? I haven’t looked them up.
Yes, you're right - I read these earlier and was like "huh?". I know them the same as the ones you posted.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #77
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk View Post
im going to see Bob Mould tonight with my wife.
it's going to be fucking awesome after all of this!
Oh, man, I was there too. I kept thinking how great it was to have this reminder that music can be a totally euphoric thing. Amazing show.

Everyone's looking back at old lyrics, but how about him having his soon-to-be ex-wife singing background vocals on a lyric like "Am I safe if I don't wanna be with you?"
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #78
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
Oh, man, I was there too. I kept thinking how great it was to have this reminder that music can be a totally euphoric thing. Amazing show.

Everyone's looking back at old lyrics, but how about him having his soon-to-be ex-wife singing background vocals on a lyric like "Am I safe if I don't wanna be with you?"
wasn't it great? it was like a rock storm blowing thru- washing away all the bullshit.
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #79
ann ann

ann ann is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooth View Post
was just wondering what everyones opinion is on listening to his music now that these allegations have arrived? how does it change that and will it change your perspective on his songs?
I've been listening to Natural Ghost over and over the last two days.

This doesn't change it much for me, because my experience with the songs are what they mean to me and how they make me feel. Wondering the real story behind it is always secondary. The former supersedes the latter by far.

I don't buy that the lyrics are now creepy and mean anything different. I don't buy he manipulated and twisted truths for a song. This is his truth, it's probably how HE really saw things. And they are SONGS -- it's a given there's gonna be artistic embellishment.

Edit: He's a very feelings-oriented person, that's obvious, highly reactive, impulsive. Sometimes your feelings don't match what you may know intellectually or realize in hindsight. But the feelings are going into the song and make good material. "Hey honey I have this song about how you made me feel shitty. Yeah yeah I know now it was in my head, but I felt that way, here's a song." Since we are all speculating possibilities anyway.

Last edited by ann ann; 02-17-2019 at 11:49 AM..
ann ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #80
SonofabitchVanOwen

SonofabitchVanOwen will become famous soon enough

Should I drive two hours in the rain to see Carseat Headrest tonight?

I have tickets, but really don't feel like it. Kind of down on music at the moment, in general. Would such a shitshow make me feel better or worse?

Baltimore is such an awful city, too. Help me heal, tby.
SonofabitchVanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #81
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I just spent the past 2 nights at Pitchfork's Midwinter fest. A show is gonna get you excited about other music. Go but drive carefully.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #82
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

go.
seeing bob mould was musical redemption for me.
game-changer. like the storm blew thru
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #83
ManyFastCars

ManyFastCars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post
Should I drive two hours in the rain to see Carseat Headrest tonight?

I have tickets, but really don't feel like it. Kind of down on music at the moment, in general. Would such a shitshow make me feel better or worse?

Baltimore is such an awful city, too. Help me heal, tby.
Go. We saw them at the end of their tour last year and they were great.
ManyFastCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #84
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
Everyone gets to deal with this in their own way. What's right for one isn't right for another.

I am also glad that I didn't get that Cardinal rose tattoo, though...phew.

Oooo I haven’t thought of that. Lots of RA inspired ink out there.

A user i haven’t seen post in awhile ‘Old Love Letter’ had some I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #85
SonofabitchVanOwen

In general, no one knows what the Cardinal rose is, which is at least good in terms of social judgment.

You probably don't want it on your body anymore, but at least you can reasonably buy yourself some time before getting it removed.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #86
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

That’s true about the rose, but lyrics could suck depending on your reaction to the news.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #87
andyo812

eeek

Old 02-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #88
SonofabitchVanOwen

^ Well that's going to be a problem.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #89
mutineer

mutineer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post

eeek

Maybe add some dreadlocks and claim that it's Mike Campbell?
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #90
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

eeek

Ooof. That might not age well.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #91
ViolaGal

Quote:

eeek

Ooof. That might not age well.

And you're totally right, nobody in my circle would know what the Cardinal rose is, but I would. It would just be the daily reminder.
So I'm glad I never did it.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #92
SonofabitchVanOwen

That's a weirdly modern Ryan Adams tattoo, too.

If you're going to get a huge portrait of Ryan on your body (and god only knows why you would), at least preserve him as a petulant 20 something.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #93
ViolaGal

Maybe they could change the words to read "Heartbroken" instead.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #94
SonofabitchVanOwen

At least draw a skype window around him.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #95
andyo812

Rats is an interesting song to think about in retrospect

Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #96
miked331

miked331 will become famous soon enough

I mean at the time I thought Prisoner and even the b-sides was significantly better knowing it was directly about Mandy and his divorce. I always took it as hey here’s a cathartic way to vent about how my shitty marriage went down. And the assumption was like most marriages that end it was a bit two ways. I thought it gave the album a bit of deeper or more personal
Meaning. That clearly wasn’t the case given what we know now. And when you listen to the lyrics or just even the song titles it is pretty creepy.

Can’t help but focus on Katy Goodman’s post on narcissism

Do you still love me babe? C’mon
miked331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #97
SonofabitchVanOwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked331 View Post
I mean at the time I thought Prisoner and even the b-sides was significantly better knowing it was directly about Mandy and his divorce. I always took it as hey here’s a cathartic way to vent about how my shitty marriage went down. And the assumption was like most marriages that end it was a bit two ways. I thought it gave the album a bit of deeper or more personal
Meaning. That clearly wasn’t the case given what we know now. And when you listen to the lyrics or just even the song titles it is pretty creepy.

Can’t help but focus on Katy Goodman’s post on narcissism

Do you still love me babe? C’mon
Yeah, I agree. It never seemed creepy to me at all. Bad marriages, contentious relationships all feel like prisons when you're in them. Your brain feels similarly after you've irrevocably destroyed something you care about or lost someone you loved. It felt like a reasonable treatment of a marriage that blew up in his face.

I was shocked when he later claimed he had never written a song about Mandy and figured he was bullshitting out of spite. But having heard what's come out now, it's probably likely that none of those songs were about her. And given that many of them may be about women he didn't even date, the language is kind of weird.

Also, has anyone considered that Ryan seems to be a weird creative vampire? It's like, in addition to sex, he very obviously wants emotional connections with these women. And those emotional connections inform and facilitate his art. It's almost like he's seeking out people that can inspire his music so that he can keep producing and then uses music itself as a way of luring those people in. Music and emotional trauma are so symbiotic for him that he was probably able to justify using the former to secure the latter, since the latter directly enables the former.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #98
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post
Yeah, I agree. It never seemed creepy to me at all. Bad marriages, contentious relationships all feel like prisons when you're in them. Your brain feels similarly after you've irrevocably destroyed something you care about or lost someone you loved. It felt like a reasonable treatment of a marriage that blew up in his face.

I was shocked when he later claimed he had never written a song about Mandy and figured he was bullshitting out of spite. But having heard what's come out now, it's probably likely that none of those songs were about her. And given that many of them may be about women he didn't even date, the language is kind of weird.

Also, has anyone considered that Ryan seems to be a weird creative vampire? It's like, in addition to sex, he very obviously wants emotional connections with these women. And those emotional connections inform and facilitate his art. It's almost like he's seeking out people that can inspire his music so that he can keep producing and then uses music itself as a way of luring those people in. Music and emotional trauma are so symbiotic for him that he was probably able to justify using the former to secure the latter, since the latter directly enables the former.
I kind of thought that was why he covered 1989. Him and Taylor seem alike in that way, she has a lot of relationships then as soon as they breakup she writes a song about it. “Got a long list of ex lovers, they’ll tell you I’m insane.” Of course it could be what other people have stated too, either way it’s kind of weird.

I agree, I thought he was BSing about not writing a song about Mandy too (I always thought Dear Candy had to be about her). Now looking back, he probably wasn’t lying (at least when it comes to prisoner). We now can be pretty sure outbound train is about Phoebe. I remember an interview where he said one of the songs were about Natalie Prass. It definitely changes it for me that it’s not a divorce album, but rather an album about various girls before/during/right after his divorce.

Last edited by Knotnow; 02-19-2019 at 06:54 AM..
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #99
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
I agree, I thought he was BSing about not writing a song about Mandy too (I always thought Dear Candy had to be about her).
He hadn't met Mandy by the time "Dear Candy" was recorded.
In the past, he has acknowledged "I Love You But I Don't Know What to Say" as being about her, then claimed it was about a cat. I think it was accepted that "Evergreen" at least has references to her, and she released a song called "Everblue" around the same time. The marriage was falling apart by the time of the self-titled record and he didn't release much for three years before it.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #100
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
Also I just want to say that I'm sitting here on a bus trip listening to my music all on random. Do you know how much Ryan Adams pops up??? Because I have so much in my collection??? Fucksticks.

I mean, some of this stuff is so good. Just goddamn.
I'm getting a ton of RA on random on my car iPod. Brutal.

This is the first time an artist I've been this devoted to has been accused of this sort of thing (not counting purposefully transgression-ist stuff and I've probably still got some James Levine classical albums).

I also think this has been difficult and RA's lyrics seems so personal both to him and to me. If this was Motley Crue or something, it wouldn't really matter to me. Hell, they'd probably be celebrated for it by some.

I was actually looking to downsize my vinyl. Selfishly, I don't think those RA 7"s will hold their value after this!

I've decided to take the RA off my iPod for now. I haven't deleted the files and haven't planned to give up the hard copies. I need some more time.

I usually love 1-2 tunes from the last three albums, but could take or leave the rest. That said, if and when Big Colors is released, I'll probably pass. If he ever really releases Catherine... well, that will be tough to resist.

I haven't had many singer/songwriters move me vocally the way Ryan has. I'm not enjoying Tweedy/Wilco these days as much. The Conors, Isbells, Townes Earles, etc. all good, but I haven't found myself in the space Ryan could get me to. This sucks.

Back to Hardcore punk, and contemporary classical I guess. Like that other fellow said, if you got a singer/songwriter on Ryans level (preferably not a perv) to recommend, let me know.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links