TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Old 11-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #2401
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Mr Balls is beloved by the little children. Hilarious.

Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #2402
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I love the hair that they gave him.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #2403
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

All you need is the headline, really.

ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #2404
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #2405
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Detroit TV Station Remembers Yankee Star Nelson "A-Rod" Mandela
Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #2406
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Shia LaBeouf wanted to prove online film critics were terrible writers, so he plagiarized Daniel Clowes

As the guy who starred in three middling-to-unbearably-awful Transformers movies, as the guy who played “Mutt Williams” in the last middling-to-unbearably-awful Indiana Jones movie, and as the guy who starred in the not-middling-just-unbearably-awful Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, Shia LaBeouf understands how it feels to be a target for film critics. LaBeouf’s done some good work onscreen, but he’s also been in his share of bad movies, and when they—and the accompanying bad reviews—start to pile up, I’m sure it can start to feel like you’re being picked on unfairly. It could even inspire someone to channel that frustration and anger in productive ways.

One such way might be to create something personal to express those emotions, and to take a good hard look at your accusers. That’s what LaBeouf did with “HowardCantour.com,” a 12-minute short that critiques online critics, like the one played in the film by Jim Gaffigan, and their strange world of press screenings and junkets. LaBeouf directed and (apparently) wrote the project, which was accepted into the Cannes Film Festival.

But if you’re trying to show how terrible online critics are at their job, maybe it’s a good idea not to plagiarize the whole thing, which, as it turns out, is what LaBeouf did. Yesterday, “HowardCantour.com” went up at ShortOfTheWeek.com, and quickly began to spread around the Internet. As the film got picked up many of the very sites LaBeouf was attacking, a few eagle-eyed readers (yeah, I went there) noticed an extreme similarity between LaBeouf’s work and a short comic by Ghost World and Art School Confidential author Daniel Clowes. “HowardCantour.com” made no mention of Clowes or his comic; the accompanying essay at ShortOfTheWeek.com simply claimed it was “created by actor-turned-director Shia LaBeouf.” The Vimeo embed of the film was made private, but you can still find a version at BuzzFeed, and compare it side-by-side with a page of Clowes’ “Justin M. Damiano.”

Clowes told BuzzFeed he’d “never spoken to or met” LaBeouf, and that he was “shocked” when he saw the short. Several hours later, LaBeouf addressed his actions in a series of tweets:

Quote:
Copying isn't particularly creative work. Being inspired by someone else's idea to produce something new and different IS creative work. I deeply regret the manner in which these events have unfolded and want @danielclowes to know that I have a great respect for his work. In my excitement and naiveté as an amateur filmmaker, I got lost in the creative process and neglected to follow proper accreditation. Im embarrassed that I failed to credit @danielclowes for his original graphic novella Justin M. Damiano, which served as my inspiration. I was truly moved by his piece of work & I knew that it would make a poignant & relevant short. I apologize to all who assumed I wrote it.
Ah, yes. The old “I’m sorry you feel that way” apology. He wasn’t sorry he took Clowes’ work, he was sorry we all assumed he wrote it (dumb online film critics, making bad assumptions!). Even worse, as Buzzfeed observed, at least part of his apology appears to be cribbed from a post on Yahoo! Answers.

It’s also pretty bizarre to see a man who has made millions of dollars in Hollywood and directed several other shorts refer to himself as an “amateur filmmaker.” The kid who videotapes himself in the mirror dancing to Beyonce’s “Crazy In Love” is an amateur. Shia LaBeouf is a professional, which is a particularly problematic fact in this case because “HowardCantour.com” is ostensibly designed to call out online critics for their lack of professionalism. That reality might finally be sinking in for LaBeouf, who posted the following tweet a few hours after the rest of his apology:

Quote:
I fucked up.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #2407
JackStark211

Quote:
Florida man tried trading alligator for beer

In today’s economy, it’s not uncommon to trade personal items in the marketplace in lieu of cash.

But leave it to Florida to offer the world a truly unusual spin on bartering, when one man walked into a convenience store attempting to trade a 4-foot-long alligator for a 12-pack of beer.

Fernando Caignet Aguilera was cited by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission after a cashier at a local Santa Ana Market in Miami alerted authorities to the attempted exchange.

"Anybody who would conceive this scheme is not thinking properly," Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Jorge Pino told Reuters.

Aguilera told authorities he caught the alligator in a park. He could face a fine of up to $500 and six months in jail over the incident. Pino said the alligator was not harmed and was released back into the wild.

Aguilera told CBS 4 that he didn't realize it was illegal to trap or trade alligators in the state. "In my mind, I tried to trade it for some beer," he said. "Because I had no money. I said, 'Let me try the alligator.'"

Store cashier Javier Herrera told CBS 4 he "couldn't believe" someone would try to trade a live gator. "When I (saw that), I tell him to get out of here," Herrera said.

"This is absolutely bizarre," Pino told NBC Miami. "I can't imagine somebody wanting to barter a live, 4-foot alligator for a 12-pack of beer. It makes no sense to me."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...212400309.html
Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #2408
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Florida, man.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #2409
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

It would have been a genius idea if the convenience store guy had really wanted a live alligator though.
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #2410
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
It would have been a genius idea if the convenience store guy had really wanted a live alligator though.
Alligator steak is a hell of a thing.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #2411
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #2412
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Yeah. Anyone else see this?

Quote:
Man With 2 Penises Answers All Your Questions On Reddit AMA (NSFW)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4531433.html
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #2413
JackStark211

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
Nope. How unsafe is it for work?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #2414
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

As long as you don't click the links, you should be good. But it does have some colorful language.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #2415
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

DEAR LORD. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER.

Quote:
Giant Cockroach Pulled From Hospitalized Man's Ear
http://gawker.com/giant-cockroach-pu...ear-1498628081

Spoiler:
Early Wednesday morning, Hendrik Helmer woke with a terrible pain in his right ear. Helmer tried to suck out whatever was causing the ache with a vaccum cleaner. That only made the pain worse.

"When I stood up and it happened it would sort of hunch me over and drop me down to the ground," Helmer told the Australian Broadcasting Company. "I was hoping it wasn't a poisonous spider. I was hoping it didn't bite me."

The pain grew so severe that, eventually, his roommate's convinced him to go to the hospital. There, a doctor told Helmer she suspected a "little cockroach" was to blame.

In attempt to force the roach out, the doctor poured olive oil into Helmer's ear, but that just caused the roach to burrow deeper into his ear canal, where it eventually died.

"Near the 10 minute mark ... somewhere about there, he started to stop burrowing but he was still in the throes of death twitching," Helmer said.

Using tweezers, the doctor then pulled the roach from Helmer's ear.

"[The doctor] said, 'You know how I said a little cockroach, that may have been an underestimate'," he said.

"They said they had never pulled an insect this large out of someone's ear."
Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #2416
JackStark211

Fuck that.

I know how bad it hurts to have an insect in your ear. While I was sleeping in a tent on a camping trip I had a pill bug crawl into my ear . I could hear the little legs moving around. It was a traumatizing experience. I don't even want to think about how anything that large must be like.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #2417
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #2418
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Can't wait for THAT book to be written.

Quote:
Cormac McCarthy’s Ex Arrested After Pulling A Gun From Her Vagina During Fight About Aliens

Pulitzer award-winning novelist Cormac McCarthy‘s (No Country for Old Men, The Road) ex-wife Jennifer McCarthy is living out a story stranger than fiction. The Smoking Gun has a probable cause affidavit saying that 48-year-old Jennifer brandished a gun from vagina during a fight with her 53-year-old boyfriend over extraterrestrials at their home in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

The couple got into a heated argument about aliens, and then Jennifer left, according to the boyfriend. When she came home, he said she went to the bedroom, put on lingerie, and inserted the gun in her private area. At that point, the report says she asked him “Who is crazy, you or me?” and then pulled the gun out and pointed it at him.

Jennifer McCarthy admitted she “did have a gun at the time” of the argument. Luckily, the boyfriend got the gun away from her and put it in the toilet. Later he took it out of the toilet, and put it in a trash can outside where police found it. McCarthy received felony charge of aggravated assault on a household member, was booked into the county jail, and was released last Sunday after posting a $5000 bond.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #2419
JackStark211

Miscellaneous/Amusing News Items

Hahaha.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #2420
JackStark211

Horrible.

Quote:
Man killed after dispute over texting in theater

WESLEY CHAPEL (FOX 13) -

A moviegoer lost his life inside a Pasco County theater Monday afternoon after a dispute over texting with a retired police officer.

According to the sheriff's office, the dispute happened before the 1:20 showing of 'Lone Survivor' had even gotten underway at the Cobb CineBistro at Grove 16 complex on Wesley Grove Blvd.

Investigators say two couples had gotten into an argument over noise.

"The victim was on his cell phone; he was texting. We believe he was making some kind of noise. This noise led to an altercation between the suspect and the victim," Sheriff Chris Nocco explained.

A witness recalled seeing the agitated man -- later identified by deputies as Curtis Reeves -- get up and leave in an apparent attempt to find a manager. When he came back alone, the argument escalated.

Charles Cummings told FOX 13 he heard the victim say he was texting his 3-year-old daughter before Reeves pulled out a pistol.

"Their voices start going up, there seems to be a confrontation, somebody throws popcorn, then bang, he was shot," said Cummings, who was there to celebrate his birthday. "I heard the victim say, 'I can't believe...,' then he fell on us."

"I asked if the guy was OK, and he started gurgling blood and then fell," recalled Cummings' son, who said he ran to call 911.

Both the man, identified by deputies as Chad Oulson, and his wife Nicole, were struck by the single shot. Oulson, 43, was hit in the chest and died, while Nicole was hit in the hand when she put her hand up in front of her husband. She suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

An off-duty Sumter County deputy inside the theater was able to grab the gun and detain Reeves until deputies arrived, the sheriff added.

Reeves, a 71-year-old retired Tampa police officer, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. A 2005 Tampa Bay Times article also described him as a former director of security for Busch Gardens.

Moments after he was named as the suspect, Tampa police issued a statement saying Reeves had retired back in 1993 as a captain.

"He was instrumental in establishing the department's first Tactical Response Team," the statement explained. "We are not aware of any contact with the department since his departure more than 20 years ago."

Nocco said his detectives considered if this could be a 'stand your ground' case but decided the criteria did not apply.

"It's absolutely crazy it would rise to this level over somebody just texting in a movie theater," he offered.

"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn or even a cell phone."

Read more: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2qOA9qltC
Follow us: @myfoxtampabay on Twitter | FOX13TampaBay on Facebook
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...-movie-theater
Old 01-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #2421
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Just awful.
That story made it into Australian newspapers too.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #2422
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

A kinda long, but interesting, article of the guy who invented the graham cracker: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...cracker/282769

Quote:

Graham is considered to be one of the fathers of the early American vegetarian movement. It was Graham's particular notion that Americans could shield themselves from debilitating stimulation and find salvation through clean living and healthy food. The Graham Diet consisted of simply-prepared bland foods with lots of whole grains, mostly fruits and vegetables, and no spices, meat, alcohol or tobacco. Even pepper was banned. And whatever foods were permitted were to be eaten in small quantities at just two meals per day. Graham also advocated radical ideas about health and hygiene such as bathing regularly, taking in fresh air and sunlight, drinking clean water, wearing comfortable clothing, and exercising daily.

Once out of the hands of mothers, bakeries, Graham believed, were ruining American bread. White bread was a sign of quality, and harmful additives such as copper, alum, clay, and chalk were often added to whiten and extend flour. This wasn't sheer paranoia—unregulated bakeries did not always use the highest quality of ingredients, and adulteration was a problem in early commercial foods. But Graham's main target was white flour. Stripped of its healthful germ, Graham saw white flour as a poor substitute for whole wheat. It did not give the teeth or the stomach a proper workout and it led to a "lazy colon."

Graham developed his own process for making whole-wheat flour, which he used for his Graham bread. Today we know this as graham crackers, though his bland germ loaf would hardly be confused for the later sugary, cinnamony Nabisco creation.

Strangely, Graham's greatest legacy may not be his diet or even his cracker, but rather cereal. In 1878 Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, a Graham disciple, created a Grahamite cereal he called "Granola." Following its success, Kellogg formulated his recipe for "cornflakes" and thus launched the American breakfast cereal industry.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #2423
JackStark211

Quote:
British man becomes first person to visit all 201 countries... WITHOUT using a plane
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-plane.html
Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #2424
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Quote:
Did Two Texas Women Get Mugged By a Cartoon?

A pleasant winter day turned into a nightmare for two women in Lamar County, Texas, on Thursday when they were robbed at knifepoint in broad daylight. The bright side? They now have a piece of beautiful artwork to treasure.

The composite sketch above, provided by the Paris, Texas news site eParisExtra.com, purports to show the suspect. But the site cautions, "The sketch is not a true depiction of the suspect, only a likeness."

We don't know about that: he looks an awful lot like known rogue Mr. Bill on his more stoic days. Do you have other ideas of who this man could be? Leave 'em below!
http://gawker.com/did-two-texas-wome...oon-1505264939

Spoiler:
Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #2425
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

Epic dick move.

Quote:
Man Asks Ex-Wife to Stay On As His Housekeeper

A British millionaire who divorced his ex-wife and moved his new girlfriend into the house while she was still living there couldn't understand why she became "so aggressive" when he asked if she would work as his housekeeper.

The couple, whose names were withheld from British press because it was a private family court matter, were married in the late 1970s and divorced in the 90s.

Despite officially divorcing, the two continued to live in the same home until about five years ago, when the man moved his new girlfriend and her 12-year-old daughter into the house.

At that point, the man apparently asked his fifty-something ex-wife if she would continue living in the house in a new role — his housekeeper.

According to reports, "he could not come to terms with why she, through her lawyers, had become so aggressive."

On Wednesday, a judge ruled she was entitled to about $8 million — half of her ex-husbands estate.

The judge ruled that there was "no distinction" between the couple's life before and after the divorce and that she should receive more than £6 million.
http://gawker.com/man-asks-ex-wife-t...per-1511982368
Sponsored Links