TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > General Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #76
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of
Re: The Australian/NZ Chat Thread

yep. brilliant.
ferris wheel junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #77
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyfan View Post
The Bill Connelly World Tour of Iraq skit was hilarious.

Oh, Andrew. Welcome back. I've missed you so.
ishellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #78
radioradi0

radioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to allradioradi0 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris wheel junkie View Post
Very very cool! Thanks for the heads up, fwj.
radioradi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #79
ferris wheel junkie

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioradi0 View Post
Very very cool! Thanks for the heads up, fwj.
someone actually listened

she is awesome. such a lovely cool girl.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #80
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds really fascinating - I assume it will get a cinema release shortly.
Imagine how terrified and confused they must have been.

Quote:
WHEN Yuwali first saw the truck, she thought it was a rock. A rock that moved. Turning to her young companions, the 17-year-old Aborigine, who had never seen a white man, said: "You know those big rocks that we always play on? The rock has come alive."

Terrified, Yuwali and her friends fled across the desert, too scared to sleep, lest the "monster" and the "devil men" inside it catch up and eat them.

Yuwali and her mob of desert-dwelling Martu were the last Aborigines to remain untouched by the modern world. All that changed, however, when patrol officers entered their country, in the Percival Lakes region of Western Australia, to clear it for a series of rocket tests in 1964. This historic episode and the subsequent "first contact" is now the subject of a documentary by the Sydney filmmakers Bentley Dean and Martin Butler.

"This story has to be the most extreme clash of cultures ever seen - the height of space technology meets a group of fully traditional hunter-gatherers with absolutely no idea of the outside world," Butler says. "It's a story that has to be told now because in a few years all those Aborigines adult enough to remember pre-contact life will be dead."

Contact, which will screen at the Sydney Film Festival, is told largely from Yuwali's perspective, and features surreal footage, shot by patrol officers, of her group emerging from the desert for the first time carrying little more than digging sticks.

"We were hungry," Yuwali says in the film. "But [the white men's] meat tasted like shit, so we spat it out and buried it in the sand."

Born at Yulpu rockhole in the heart of Percival Lakes, Yuwali spent her early life travelling with her family through the sand and spinifex, their movements dictated by seasonal patterns, the availability of food and the direction of the dreaming tracks.

Fear of strangers was deeply ingrained, owing not only to malpu, human-shaped spirits that were hairy and fanged, but also to "featherfeet", ritual killers from other tribes who travelled vast distances to exact revenge for real or perceived slights.

The patrol officers' sudden appearance, therefore, caused great fear. The first night with the patrol officers, "they tied us with rope around the ankles", Yuwali says, "to stop us running away".

The encounter ended the Martu's nomadic way of life, one they had led for at least 5000 years. Yuwali's group was taken to Jigalong, 200 kilometres south, where they were fed by missionaries and given money. (Thinking it was worthless, Yuwali buried it in a riverbed.)
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #81
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

ishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to beholdishellmay is a splendid one to behold

Over the weekend I hired a car and drove on Australian pavement for the first time in the five years I've been here. It was weird and a little disorienting at first, especially given that it was dark, raining, the roads were not lit for the first quarter of the drive, and I was on the other side of the road AND car. Still, I made it back to the city in one piece and not a scratch on the car.

And I might be a bit behind, but did anyone see this?
http://media.theage.com.au/chkchk-bo...nt-539706.html
Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #82
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you did well. I would be terrified to drive in the US.
Also, Albanese is starting to look like Harold from Neighbours.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #83
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

What's so different about driving there? I'm intrigued.
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #84
ferris wheel junkie

we drive on the left
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #85
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

That's it? Psh.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #86
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildegoat View Post
What's so different about driving there? I'm intrigued.
Our cars all have spikes on the outside of them.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #87
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Wow, you did well. I would be terrified to drive in the US.
Also, Albanese is starting to look like Harold from Neighbours.

Speaking of creepy MP's who look like creepy actors, Brendan Nelson looks like Leland Palmer from Twin Peaks, I swear.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #88
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Our cars all have spikes on the outside of them.
Yes. Spikes and sacs of venom.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #89
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

I also saw on television this weekend that you have to deal with giant toads hopping across the road.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #90
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Yes. We call them Jehova's Witnesses.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #91
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

HEY-YO!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #92
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I also saw on television this weekend that you have to deal with giant toads hopping across the road.
In the northern parts of Australia they probably do, although I think the bigger problem for most motorists is if they miss one. Cane toads aren't a problem (yet) in the southern states.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #93
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishellmay View Post
Yes. We call them Jehova's Witnesses.
omgz you are so going straight to hell now
Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #94
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Speaking of creepy MP's who look like creepy actors, Brendan Nelson looks like Leland Palmer from Twin Peaks, I swear.

Never noticed, but you are right. I met Dr Nelson once. I was fairly underwhelmed. Nice enough fellow but not exactly impressive.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #95
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Yeah, well at least I'll get to celebrate my birthday in hell!

Oh, schnap!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #96
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
Yeah, well at least I'll get to celebrate my birthday in hell!

Oh, schnap!
Wait, is it your birthday today?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #97
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Nah. Not until late November.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #98
ishellmay
Bob Loblaw's Law Blog

Quote:
Never noticed, but you are right. I met Dr Nelson once. I was fairly underwhelmed. Nice enough fellow but not exactly impressive.
I ran into Tony Abbott once when Howard was still in power. I gave him the meanest death stare.
And I agree about Nelson being underwhelming, if his recent appearance on Q + A is anything to go by.

How about that Greens Senator, by the way? She's a bit of a spunk. A very articulate one at that.

Last edited by ishellmay; 06-01-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #99
Sydneyfan
Evil wimmin powers

Quote:
I ran into Tony Abbott once when Howard was still in power. I gave him the meanest death stare.
My husband has been bike riding with Tony Abbott. He said he was a nice guy although those bikers lose all sense when they are see each other dressed in lycra.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:22 AM   #100
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
ferris killed one: http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread....oad#post519214

so proud of you, ferry
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links