FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dissing Ryan Adams: An Emerging Songwriting Genre

Old 10-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #126
Knotnow

Knotnow will become famous soon enough
Re: Dissing Ryan Adams: An Emerging Songwriting Genre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I got breakups are hard. But heís a 40 year old. Whoís also divorced. Like, you should have this bro.
Exactly.
Knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #127
Knotnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
A day or so ago, he went through her ex's Instagram and was liking every five year old photo of her. He didn't act out half this much leading up to his divorce, amazingly.

They've gotten back together about thirty times at this point, but it does make me wonder what he's gonna do about "Big Colors" or whatever he was going to call it. I know there were a few (love?) songs about her on it.
I thought they were old news, so it always throws me for a loop when I see a new rant about her. Guess they are just extremely on/off again.

Sure hope it wouldnít affect the album. But it seems like that is already in the hands of Capitol and full steam ahead?
Old 10-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #128
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by agaetisbyrjun View Post
Can't stop won't stop

what a petty fucking douche pickle. so immature.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #129
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough

Ryan is grasping at straws to remain relevant. I can see him spiraling into destruction now that his best years have left him.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #130
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

I don't think his meltdowns on social media are to remain relevant. I think he's obviously struggling.

Musically he's plenty relevant - drawing well and Prisoner got a ton of love from mainstream media. In fact, his music now is much better received than when he was in his "prime."

I am slightly concerned about the type of talent he can consistently surround himself with. The last few bands are mostly meh and he's burned plenty of bridges over the years.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #131
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

I may be in the minority here, but his best "band" is just him solo. Thats where he excels.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #132
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I don't think his meltdowns on social media are to remain relevant. I think he's obviously struggling.

Musically he's plenty relevant - drawing well and Prisoner got a ton of love from mainstream media. In fact, his music now is much better received than when he was in his "prime."

I am slightly concerned about the type of talent he can consistently surround himself with. The last few bands are mostly meh and he's burned plenty of bridges over the years.
it's probably much better received because its more accepted that Ryan is just going to do what he's going to do. I dont think there remains the comparison of every subsequent album to Heartbreaker anymore.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #133
Knotnow

I think no matter what bands have come and gone he’s been pretty consistent in the talent department. I think some people would call the Cardinals his glory days and while I love those albums, I love Prisoner, S/T etc. too and I appreciate how he keeps evolving in his music. I get bored of an artist stays exactly the same.

Last edited by Knotnow; 10-01-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Old 10-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #134
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotnow View Post
I think no matter what bands have come and gone heís been pretty consistent in the talent department. I think some people would call the Cardinals his glory days and while I love those albums, I love Prisoner, S/T etc. too and I appreciate how he keeps evolving in his music. I get bored of an artist stays exactly the same.
I dont know, I think he's mailed it in the last couple albums outside a few songs. I think he's capable of a lot more and just has gotten lazy.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #135
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I think no matter what bands have come and gone heís been pretty consistent in the talent department. I think some people would call the Cardinals his glory days and while I love those albums, I love Prisoner, S/T etc. too and I appreciate how he keeps evolving in his music. I get bored of an artist stays exactly the same.
I enjoy Prisoner/ST as well but you put on a tape of a cardinals show and a tape of the unknown band .... it's pretty much night and day. Same with the shining.

I think a long tour with the bluegrass band (or embracing that sound for a bit) would be refreshing for everyone. The few gigs he did with the stringdusters was his best live sound in almost a decade now.

And I'm always up for a solo tour. I love seeing him on his own - especially if he's willing to play piano again.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #136
Knotnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I enjoy Prisoner/ST as well but you put on a tape of a cardinals show and a tape of the unknown band .... it's pretty much night and day. Same with the shining.

I think a long tour with the bluegrass band (or embracing that sound for a bit) would be refreshing for everyone. The few gigs he did with the stringdusters was his best live sound in almost a decade now.

And I'm always up for a solo tour. I love seeing him on his own - especially if he's willing to play piano again.
I agree. I suppose I should clarify, Iím talking he as an artist is consistently good to me no matter who heís working with. I havenít seen a whole lot of what heís done live with his more recent bands.

I will say, there were some performances Iíve seen with the Cardinals where they sounded even better live than on the album. For instance Fix It on Letterman. I thought the song was ok on the album, loved it when I heard that version and wished I had that recording rather than what was on the album. They definitely had a great chemistry live.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #137
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I may be in the minority here, but his best "band" is just him solo. Thats where he excels.
god bless you.

couldn't agree more.

he's at his ultimate best when he's by his vulnerable and funny self.

all this this other shit...is ...just shit.

for example....live at carnegie...live after deaf....ALL solo acoustic shows.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #138
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

I’d rather watch grass grow than ever go to one of his acoustic gigs ever. Been there, done that. Such a damn bore when I saw him solo.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:28 PM   #139
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty shitty - Seems like he's trying humiliate this girl just because they had a falling out. I haven't kept up with any RA shit online. The news about any new music has been unreliable.

Who is this girl he was seeing anyway?
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #140
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Who is this girl he was seeing anyway?
a model named megan butterworth - theyve been on/off since summer 2016
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #141
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
a model named megan butterworth - theyve been on/off since summer 2016
Ah.... she's really pretty. And here he is in a Freddy Krueger sweater!!!

RA's bumming me out big time. He's in his 40s and she's what, 20? If it works out great, but since it didn't... he's insinuating she's free to anyone with money and "additude" who enjoys a mediocre relationship?

Not digging this at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2873303-exclusif-ryan-adams-et-sa-compagne-meg-950x0-1.jpg (122.3 KB, 56 views)
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #142
thebambino

thebambino is a jewel in the roughthebambino is a jewel in the rough

do better ryan. rooting for you. but geez you make it difficult.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:20 PM   #143
thebambino

Quote:
I think no matter what bands have come and gone heís been pretty consistent in the talent department. I think some people would call the Cardinals his glory days and while I love those albums, I love Prisoner, S/T etc. too and I appreciate how he keeps evolving
were you there for the cardinals years? like...did you go to those shows? because iím guessing you werenít if youíre comparing prisoner to the cardinals years.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #144
Knotnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
were you there for the cardinals years? like...did you go to those shows? because iím guessing you werenít if youíre comparing prisoner to the cardinals years.
Definitely not comparing the cardinals live vs. the bands heís had recently. Just saying that I can appreciate the way his sound has changed through the years and I enjoy it all. Iíve been a fan since the early 2000ís but havenít gotten the opportunity to see him live. I have watched a lot of the cardinals tv appearances/ concerts online.

To be honest, Iím not 100% sure who he used in studio for his last couple albums. I kind of thought of the shining and the unknown band as just his touring bands rather than his actual collaborative ďbandĒ like the cardinals were, but maybe Iím wrong.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:03 AM   #145
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

how bizarre....
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:10 AM   #146
thebambino

Quote:
Definitely not comparing the cardinals live vs. the bands he’s had recently. Just saying that I can appreciate the way his sound has changed through the years and I enjoy it all. I’ve been a fan since the early 2000’s but haven’t gotten the opportunity to see him live. I have watched a lot of the cardinals tv appearances/ concerts online.

To be honest, I’m not 100% sure who he used in studio for his last couple albums. I kind of thought of the shining and the unknown band as just his touring bands rather than his actual collaborative “band” like the cardinals were, but maybe I’m wrong.
cool deal, i get it. didn’t mean to come off rude.

seems like the shining/unk band are just hired guns to play his songs, def not like the cardinals, i agree.

Last edited by thebambino; 10-02-2018 at 07:18 AM..
thebambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #147
I dont care
I don't care even less

I dont care is just really niceI dont care is just really niceI dont care is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricityscape View Post
Iíd rather watch grass grow than ever go to one of his acoustic gigs ever. Been there, done that. Such a damn bore when I saw him solo.
I saw his first show at the San Francisco Palace of Fine Arts in 2006....it was a mess. He just wandered around looking for stuff. The seats were half empty for his encore and he played with Phil Lesh.

I also saw him play at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in 2012, it was a more concise performance but nothing like him playing with the Cardinals.
I dont care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #148
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah. I don't care for his solo tours. Boring.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #149
mustbeburt

mustbeburt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
I dont know, I think he's mailed it in the last couple albums outside a few songs. I think he's capable of a lot more and just has gotten lazy.
Man, I gotta say - if there's one thing Ryan Adams isn't - it's lazy. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another person that produces as match as he does. Recording, Touring, Writing, Drawing/Painting, Traveling, even stuff like his Midnight Wave radio show. He's just always doing something.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #150
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

I don't think it's laziness as far as work ethic, moreso from a creative standpoint. He always had a reputation for being hard to pin down, but he's settled into this 80's reverb heavy sound, and there are definitely some songs that I feel he could have pushed himself a little more.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links