TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

mark maron re ryan adams

Old 03-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all
mark maron re ryan adams

You had Ryan Adams on your show in 2017. Were you aware of any of the allegations that have recently been brought against him? Were there any warning signs?

I don’t even remember talking to him about relationships — I just remember talking to him almost exclusively about music, his life, and how he came up. I don’t think, in that interview, there was any discussion about his interactions with women, or even his marriage. There was no way to know other than what I could glean from that conversation, which is what everyone knows: he’s a troubled, tormented dude who’s struggled with a lot of things. But there was no indication to me through our conversation.

The episode with Mandy Moore was recorded before the New York Times story about Ryan Adams was published. Were you aware before doing that interview that that piece was on its way?

You should’ve told me to ask her. [Laughs] I just did what I do — a regular WTF interview, and I thought it was great. Afterward, I said, “Look, if you rethink anything or you’re not comfortable about what you said, let me know — about Ryan, or whatever.” She was like, “Well, there’s gonna be this New York Times piece. I don’t know when it’s coming out, but I talked to them for it, so it’s fine.” Then we were like, “Alright, bye!” [Laughs] In light of it, I think that if I would’ve talked to her after it came out, or if I knew the nature of what was coming, it would’ve been quite a different interview — and I like the interview that I’d done. It dealt with that in a natural way and it also dealt with who she is as an artist

As a music fan, have you found yourself facing an ideological struggle as you’ve revisited artists you’ve loved that have since been revealed to have done bad things?

To be honest, I don’t listen to a lot of Ryan Adams anyway, really, in my life. Things do become tainted, though, and I don’t think there’s any way they can’t. It does shift your perception of things — and that happens with or without [being aware of] horrible transgressions.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/marc...interview.html
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #2
niebuhr
Copenhagen Calling

niebuhr is on a distinguished road
Re: mark maron re ryan adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
You had Ryan Adams on your show in 2017. Were you aware of any of the allegations that have recently been brought against him? Were there any warning signs?

I don’t even remember talking to him about relationships — I just remember talking to him almost exclusively about music, his life, and how he came up. I don’t think, in that interview, there was any discussion about his interactions with women, or even his marriage. There was no way to know other than what I could glean from that conversation, which is what everyone knows: he’s a troubled, tormented dude who’s struggled with a lot of things. But there was no indication to me through our conversation.

The episode with Mandy Moore was recorded before the New York Times story about Ryan Adams was published. Were you aware before doing that interview that that piece was on its way?

You should’ve told me to ask her. [Laughs] I just did what I do — a regular WTF interview, and I thought it was great. Afterward, I said, “Look, if you rethink anything or you’re not comfortable about what you said, let me know — about Ryan, or whatever.” She was like, “Well, there’s gonna be this New York Times piece. I don’t know when it’s coming out, but I talked to them for it, so it’s fine.” Then we were like, “Alright, bye!” [Laughs] In light of it, I think that if I would’ve talked to her after it came out, or if I knew the nature of what was coming, it would’ve been quite a different interview — and I like the interview that I’d done. It dealt with that in a natural way and it also dealt with who she is as an artist

As a music fan, have you found yourself facing an ideological struggle as you’ve revisited artists you’ve loved that have since been revealed to have done bad things?

To be honest, I don’t listen to a lot of Ryan Adams anyway, really, in my life. Things do become tainted, though, and I don’t think there’s any way they can’t. It does shift your perception of things — and that happens with or without [being aware of] horrible transgressions.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/marc...interview.html
Thanks for sharing this, Sleigher. Not following the FB groups anymore, so ToBeYoung is my source for follow-up articles like this.
niebuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
sleigher

sleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to allsleigher is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by niebuhr View Post
Thanks for sharing this, Sleigher. Not following the FB groups anymore, so ToBeYoung is my source for follow-up articles like this.
sure thing! im not on social media so i set up a 'ryan adams' google alert - otherwise id miss just about everything
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
FavoriteEver

FavoriteEver is a jewel in the roughFavoriteEver is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
sure thing! im not on social media so i set up a 'ryan adams' google alert - otherwise id miss just about everything
Those google alerts never really worked for me when I set them up.
FavoriteEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is an unknown quantity at this point

one might gather if there was no discussion of his marriage that it was "not great" or at least "not important" (which is actually also "not great").
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
Whatever_etc7

Whatever_etc7 is infamous around these parts

I`m so bored of Mandy Moore!
She seems to have a pretty split tongue & l feel emotional abused by her stories by now!
Besides there´s a good reason why people get divorced!
Mostly this happens when the marriage wasn´t great and I bet she isn´t the first or only person on earth who is divorced even she acts like this.
I mean, they are since 3 years divorced and didn´t had kids together and still she doesn´t take the high road to move along with her life, yawn.
Didn´t she recently married another man, again?
Must be quite annoying for her new husband to read or hear always stories about her ex-husband.
I would be annoyed even it would be for publicity-career reasons, this can´t be healthy!
Somehow she reminds me of 'The devil wears Prada'.
Whatever_etc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #7
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever_etc7 View Post
I`m so bored of Mandy Moore!
She seems to have a pretty split tongue & l feel emotional abused by her stories by now!
Besides there´s a good reason why people get divorced!
Mostly this happens when the marriage wasn´t great and I bet she isn´t the first or only person on earth who is divorced even she acts like this.
I mean, they are since 3 years divorced and didn´t had kids together and still she doesn´t take the high road to move along with her life, yawn.
Didn´t she recently married another man, again?
Must be quite annoying for her new husband to read or hear always stories about her ex-husband.
I would be annoyed even it would be for publicity-career reasons, this can´t be healthy!
Somehow she reminds me of 'The devil wears Prada'.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...rd/3108348002/

i'm totally on the Ryan deserves what he gets train but i even cringed at this.
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #8
shamooth
These Mad Dogs of Glory

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

marc maron has nothing to do with any of ryan adams' supposed allegations. why was he even questioned? because he talked to mandy moore?
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #9
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooth View Post
marc maron has nothing to do with any of ryan adams' supposed allegations. why was he even questioned? because he talked to mandy moore?
probably the same reason why Thomas O'Keefe had to weigh in on the allegations 20 years after managing Ryan..... to stay relevant
Old 03-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
shamooth
These Mad Dogs of Glory

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post
probably the same reason why Thomas O'Keefe had to weigh in on the allegations 20 years after managing Ryan..... to stay relevant
it's not a knock on marc maron. it's a knock on the person asking him the questions
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamooth View Post
it's not a knock on marc maron. it's a knock on the person asking him the questions
Sorry, yeah misread your question.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #12
BigColors

BigColors will become famous soon enough

$_$
BigColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #13
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveishello86 View Post

You’re saying Maron needed to interview Mandy Moore to stay relevant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

It was part of a larger interview regarding Maron's interviews of musicians and the release of a record called "In the Garage', proceeds from which are going to benefit an organization which helps bring live music to patients who can't leave the hospital. Marc Maron didn't weigh in, he was questioned by the interviewer. Seeing how the news regarding Ryan was fairly fresh, and Maron had just interviewed Mandy Moore, and the interview was about musicians that Maron has talked to, it didn't seem out of line in context. Opportunistic on the part of the interviewer, and on the part of Vulture for listing Ryan Adams in the headline, and also too bad they didn't focus more on the record and the charity for which it's being released.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #15
Loveishello86

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
You’re saying Maron needed to interview Mandy Moore to stay relevant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I misread the quote from before and no
Sponsored Links