Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

is it me or is Ryan stealing?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
HypnotiqWarrior
Is A Bitch!

HypnotiqWarrior has a spectacular aura about
is it me or is Ryan stealing?

I dunno Cardinology has been on and endless loop for the past week now and i dunno I'm getting this weird DejaVu feeling when listening to some tracks.
Like Yesterday, primarily the ending sounds really familiar to me, I can't put my finger on it,
Let Us Down Easy sounds like a cross between the Stones and U2...
especially when he starts doing that rambling falsetto...
I don't fault him tho, everybody steals... or "Borrows"
But is it just me?
Even tracks like Magick and Cobwebs sound familiar...
HypnotiqWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold
Re: is it me or is Ryan stealing?

My bf thinks Magick sounds like a Bryan Adams song.

Of course, I immediately told him to fuck off.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

I was actually thinking about that the other day, Magick could be a Bryan Adams song if he was trying to sound 'edgy' - you can tell me to fuck off too if you want MM

As for borrowing, I have no problem with that. Lots of my favourite artists are quite open about stealing songs...when I write I occasionally steal a melody. As long as you try to make it your own its ok.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

Ryan Adams has been, and always will be, a copycat. Whiskeytown? Uncle Tupelo. Heartbreaker? Young/Dylan. Gold? Just about everyone. Etc.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
Whiskeytown? Uncle Tupelo.
Kind of.
Tupelo was more grunge/Nirvana sounding.
The "heavy country" thing he probably got from them or other bands in NC, though.

Whiskeytown was more Stones in the beginning.
Tupelo couldn't have done Drank Like A River and made it swagger like that.
All the early WT songs have this groove that Tupelo never had.
That comes from when Ryan loved the Stones.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine4Life View Post
I was actually thinking about that the other day, Magick could be a Bryan Adams song if he was trying to sound 'edgy' - you can tell me to fuck off too if you want MM

As for borrowing, I have no problem with that. Lots of my favourite artists are quite open about stealing songs...when I write I occasionally steal a melody. As long as you try to make it your own its ok.
Only joking, L.

I do agree, to a certain extent, about Ryan sounding sort of like Bryan on that song.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

After re-listening to Gold the other day, I really did notice the similarities in his vocal style to other artists....for instance, in Tina Toledo, Ryan is obviously channeling Mick Jagger there...and am I crazy, or does he not sound exactly like Van Morrison on Answering Bell?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Kind of.
Tupelo was more grunge/Nirvana sounding.
The "heavy country" thing he probably got from them or other bands in NC, though.

Whiskeytown was more Stones in the beginning.
Tupelo couldn't have done Drank Like A River and made it swagger like that.
All the early WT songs have this groove that Tupelo never had.
That comes from when Ryan loved the Stones.
So this Tupledo guy/band whatever sounds like WT mixed with Nirvana??! Recommend me an album...NOW!

As for the Stones comparison, I dunno. I dont get any Stones from WT, never have. I hear it on the solo stuff (Gold in particular).
Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
blueone

blueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud ofblueone has much to be proud of

You've never heard of Uncle Tupelo?

My favourite of theirs is 'Still Feel Gone'.
blueone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

I think the song 16 Days is very, very Stones-esque....especially the solo.

Kinda like Honky Tonk Women.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
You've never heard of Uncle Tupelo?
I'm a 90's Britpop indie kid. We're very narrow minded!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
LaCienegaSmile
Punk As Fuck

LaCienegaSmile will become famous soon enough

blueone is right. Ryan has always drawn influences from others, but I don't think he does it intentially. He has a style all his own, but can sound very simular to other artists.
LaCienegaSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #13
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

I always thought the majority of Easy Tiger sounded alot like a Jackson Browne record.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine4Life View Post
As for the Stones comparison, I dunno. I dont get any Stones from WT, never have. I hear it on the solo stuff (Gold in particular).
It's all in that groove, and Phil's guitar playing.

The songs that make me think of it the most are Drank Like a River, 16 Days, Yesterday's News... basically all the rock songs.

They're just easy as FUCK to shake your hips to.
So much pocket and groove.
It might also come from Fleetwood Mac.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
Sunny44

Sunny44 is just really niceSunny44 is just really nice

Of course, all other sources aside, anyone who listened to anything off his blog has heard all these songs in bits and pieces for about a year.
Sunny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
HypnotiqWarrior
Is A Bitch!

HypnotiqWarrior has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
Of course, all other sources aside, anyone who listened to anything off his blog has heard all these songs in bits and pieces for about a year.
Haha I haven't ...
HypnotiqWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

I think it's nearly impossible for an artist to NOT be influenced by other art and artists. Whether it's conscious or not, it's going to happen if you're exposed to it. I think it's only natural that influences are evident and I don't think there are many artists out there in the history of art and life who can say their work is ENTIRELY original
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #18
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy031 View Post
I think it's nearly impossible for an artist to NOT be influenced by other art and artists. Whether it's conscious or not, it's going to happen if you're exposed to it. I think it's only natural that influences are evident and I don't think there are many artists out there in the history of art and life who can say their work is ENTIRELY original
100% correct.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
ewok.online
CATHERINE

It's like lego bricks.

Everyone has the same pieces, it's all in how you put them together.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #20
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

It's like the time my bf was writing one of his songs....he was showing me this little guitar part, and it was almost identical to the chord progression in Answering Bell (which has it's roots in The Band's song The Weight).

In all fairness, he had never heard Ryan's song before, and after I showed him the similarities, he immediately changed it.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #21
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Mountain View Post
It's like the time my bf was writing one of his songs....he was showing me this little guitar part, and it was almost identical to the chord progression in Answering Bell (which has it's roots in The Band's song The Weight).

In all fairness, he had never heard Ryan's song before, and after I showed him the similarities, he immediately changed it.
Thats one of my all time favourites . Never noticed the similarity before, I think you have a point.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #22
LaCienegaSmile
Punk As Fuck

LaCienegaSmile will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
It's all in that groove, and Phil's guitar playing.

The songs that make me think of it the most are Drank Like a River, 16 Days, Yesterday's News... basically all the rock songs.

They're just easy as FUCK to shake your hips to.
So much pocket and groove.
It might also come from Fleetwood Mac.
I've been a huge Fleetwood Mac and more so Stevie Nicks fan for years before ever hearing Ryan. When I got into him and saw articles of talking about his influence from FM, I didn't get it at all. But I do think now WT is very FM style. But all his own at the same time.
LaCienegaSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
Sunny44

Sunny44 is just really niceSunny44 is just really nice

One of the things I always thought made him great was, he could take all these influences and magpie like all these bits and pieces and make them his own. Whatever echoes there may be, they're still his own. I never thought Whiskeytown sounded anything like Fleetwood Mac, or the Stones, but I can kind of hear how he might've been influenced by both, in some of those songs. At this point, there is damn little if anything original, it's all been done before, but it's all in how it's done, and what someone does with all those influences. I have never heard a Whiskeytown or RA song I thought was someone, anyone else.
Sunny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #24
wookinpanub

wookinpanub is on a distinguished road

In literary terms its called Intertextuality.

The idea that all texts are influenced by or based off of pre-existing texts.
wookinpanub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #25
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCienegaSmile View Post
I've been a huge Fleetwood Mac and more so Stevie Nicks fan for years before ever hearing Ryan. When I got into him and saw articles of talking about his influence from FM, I didn't get it at all. But I do think now WT is very FM style. But all his own at the same time.
It took me a while to find it, too.
Examples: Think of FM writing Dreams 20 years later = Turn Around
Don't Wanna Know from Rumours = Don't Wanna Know Why

Sponsored Links