TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Was 2005 Ryan's Best Year?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #26
Sunny44

Sunny44 is just really niceSunny44 is just really nice
Re: Was 2005 Ryan's Best Year?

I think he's still trying to figure it out. This--two years on--point of being sober is where you realize that what you did before won't work. Even if you want to do the same things you have to find a different way to do them. That's what I hear. Someone grappling with that. But he [i]is[i] talented enough that even the grappling sounds better than most people out there. I don't know of course, but I always felt that Cold Roses was the only album that didn't seem to have a 'concept' of some sort, or at least not an obvious one. But concept or not, I still love LIH and RnR and 29, so I think it's more in the execution than in the concept.
Sunny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #27
dwight

dwight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
It's funny how this new cry-baby, whining Ryan has turned the guys off him but not the ladies or not as noticeably. I do miss the raw emotion though. I don't think the Cards do raw emotion.
They do, it's just not coming out the same way. And the emotions he's vibing on stage are as often the same as they used to be. I mean, there's just as much "raw emotion" when they hit the accepela vocal break in "Goodnight Rose" as there is in him wailing the chorus to "The End" - it's just different. And the warmth and longing you get from a track like "Evergreen" is just as "raw" as the desperation that filled a track like "Gimmie a Sign" - it's just as as agressive and in your face.
dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #28
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

i feel it comes from the same place, but he's not as harsh about it.
he feels too sorry for himself to execute Gimme A Sign properly.
he is PISSED in that song.

GIMME AN ANSWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #29
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

I liked late '00 - middle '01 the best. Forget all the bands and which members are in or out and who rock and who doesn't. Just Ryan on stage with a guitar singing song and telling stories. All of those heartbeaker/pre-gold/suicide handbook shows were amazing. Some much creativity and # of high quality songs came out of that era.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #30
dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyglass View Post
I liked late '00 - middle '01 the best. Forget all the bands and which members are in or out and who rock and who doesn't. Just Ryan on stage with a guitar singing song and telling stories. All of those heartbeaker/pre-gold/suicide handbook shows were amazing. Some much creativity and # of high quality songs came out of that era.
He was certainly his most charming back then. He'd be so funny when I saw him that it was almost a drag when he'd play a song. And the whole "I wrote this at soundcheck" intimacy was very cool. Very few things I've seen musically can top the experience of standing a few feet away from an artist of his talent when he busted out Rescue Blues, Firecracker, Gimmie Sunshine and Idiots Ruled the World for the first time.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #31
yaka24

yaka24 will become famous soon enough

that whole european tour i think 01 is great,

where he got a cold and was telling stories and playing some great tunes like the bar is the beautiful place
yaka24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #32
Sunny44

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaka24 View Post
that whole european tour i think 01 is great,

where he got a cold and was telling stories and playing some great tunes like the bar is the beautiful place
So, yes, the 2000 and 2001 and 2002 shows were great.
You know right that you're talking about 6-8years ago?
Does anyone really think an artist can do the same thing in the same way for that long and not get totally stale and start doing it by rote? Artists need to change things
to keep their creativity. Not everything works. Sometimes it takes a while to find what's next. But I guarantee you if he were still doing the same type of thing now that he
did in 2000 it wouldn't be as good and everyone would be
complaining that he never did anything different.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #33
raisemyglass
non smoker. happy.*

raisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to beholdraisemyglass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
Does anyone really think an artist can do the same thing in the same way for that long and not get totally stale and start doing it by rote? Artists need to change things
to keep their creativity. Not everything works. Sometimes it takes a while to find what's next. But I guarantee you if he were still doing the same type of thing now that he
did in 2000 it wouldn't be as good and everyone would be
complaining that he never did anything different.
I was just saying that I liked that era (year of sept'00-sept'01) better and thought he put out better music in that year than he did in 2005, which was the question that was asked in the title of the thread.

No, I don't want him to keep doing that same thing over and over. I just think that era has been his best effort to date.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #34
HypnotiqWarrior
Is A Bitch!

HypnotiqWarrior has a spectacular aura about

I'm torn, I'd like to say that those were his better days, and they were...
Of course I'm partial to the LIH year(s)
But I think Live wise he's pretty much the same... or has gotten better...
He's alot more focussed, not as irritable, singing wise he's almost flawless,
But thats Live...
Material wise, its kinda weird...
The material as of face value is great... Songs like Cobwebs, Let Us Down Easy, Sink Ships and Crossed Out Name show really his musical growth, and ability to not adhere to that cliche Signer/songwriter crap, which I guess he's trying to step away from.
However the performances on the album version are lackluster...
Now is that his fault I don't know? It could be Tom's fault
But the songs are solid, even the indulgent Magick is a helluva lot better than halloween head...
I think he's gotta find a way to capture the live sounds into studio format...
So I'm Guessing live album...
HypnotiqWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #35
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny44 View Post
to keep their creativity.

Some artists manage it.
YOu just have to have a core sound and then add things to it.
It's not necessarily the style of music, but the vibe.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #36
Sunny44

I'm listening to this, Cardinology, now, and I don't hear him being any less emotional, maybe a little less in your face, maybe sadder rather than angry, but you can't do angry for years and years without it eating out your insides. I'm so glad we have those live shows from 2000-2003 (not to mention Whiskeytown which I will always love),but I think he has done plenty of amazing live shows the past couple of years.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #37
dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Some artists manage it.
YOu just have to have a core sound and then add things to it.
It's not necessarily the style of music, but the vibe.
But one thing Ryan has NEVER had, or wanted as far as I can tell, is a "core sound".

And your vibe will normally naturally change as you get older and mature.

Even with Whiskeytown, he was wildly changing, both the style of music AND the vibe. Pneumonia was a radically different album than Faithless Street. The difference between those two is much greater than the difference between Cold Roses and Cardinology.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #38
Sunny44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight View Post
But one thing Ryan has NEVER had, or wanted as far as I can tell, is a "core sound".

And your vibe will normally naturally change as you get older and mature.

Even with Whiskeytown, he was wildly changing, both the style of music AND the vibe. Pneumonia was a radically different album than Faithless Street. The difference between those two is much greater than the difference between Cold Roses and Cardinology.
I agree, and you said it better than I would've.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #39
thunderoad
Real Gone

thunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of lightthunderoad is a glorious beacon of light

2005 is easily my favorite RA era, it's still mindblowing to think he made these monster albums each with a failry unique feel but each equally splling with dark honesty and emotion that punctured your ears and mind because the lyrics were that good and the sound was on another plateau. this is probably why it's so hard to wrap one's head around the blandness and lackluster albums that followed, because even the lyrics when they have been good have lacked the delivery to believe them, they end up sounding whimpy in a way "vintage" RA or even Elliott Smith (another favorite artist and lyricist of mine) never did. No matter how sad bastard their songs got, they were true and they opened doors, nowadays RA's albums would fit perfectly in one of those soft rock radio stations that i despise and I'm sure he would too.