TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Ryan Adams > Tour Discussion > Archive > 2008
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Brixton Academy, Brixton UK (November 20 2008)

Old 11-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute
Brixton Academy, Brixton UK (November 20 2008)

Setlist:

Cobwebs (3)
Everybody Knows (3)
Sink-Ships (3)
Stars Go Blue (3)
Fix It
Evergreen
Goodnight Rose
Freeway To the Canyon (CASALJAM)
Come Pick Me Up (3)
WonderWall (3)
I Taught Myself How To Grow Old(3)
Born into a light
Off Broadway
How Do You Keep Love Alive
Please Do Not Let Me Go
Natural Ghost
Grand Island (CASALJAM)
Let it Ride (5)
Rescue Blues
LaCienega Just Smiled
Stop
Desire
Two
Go Easy
Crossed Out Name
===========
I see Monsters

Last edited by Sydneyfan; 11-20-2008 at 07:28 PM..
Sydneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Sendeshi

Sendeshi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brixton Academy, Brixton UK (November 20 2008)

Just got back from it, blew me away!

What happened with Spacewolf?
I just saw someone come off the side searching the stage floor with a torch, then a countdown to SW making a god-like pose.
Sendeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
ferris wheel junkie
the hell is thish words??

ferris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud offerris wheel junkie has much to be proud of

the other board has people saying that it was like watching them play the same song over and over.

i hope not.
ferris wheel junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Sydneyfan

Sydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond reputeSydneyfan has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a quick look around the boards and it seems to be getting mixed reviews. Some people had a religious experience, other people thought it was dull. Everyone seems to agree there was a lot of talking amongst the crowd though.

Quote:
I would concur, it was terrible. It was essentially just the same song 17 times - it was all just so mid-tempo with each song dissolving into an extended guitar wank-off before returning to a final chorus. People looked just so bored and it thinned out quite considerably where I was. The guy behind me was singing along to most of the early songs until after about the 6th song when he said to his friend "I wish the Cardinals would fuck off for a bit so Ryan can do some stuff by himself".
Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Just back from the gig tonight. Was a good one! Go Easy was very good - played a bit heavier/upbeat than I've heard it in the recordings of recent shows - more like the album if anything.

I agree there was a lot of talking from the crowd near the back of the floor - who has the money to spend 28 on a gig and then talk over it?! But I thought the band dealt with it really well and put out some great performances.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Izzy Eviel
I know

Izzy Eviel is just really niceIzzy Eviel is just really nice

What other board? RAA? They seemed to have loved the gig there.

Sendeshi: That was Spacewolf's big moment. He needs a haircut thou, I swear I thought he was a girl. Jon Graboff was shining a touch on Spacewolf whilst he did his big bass solo (which was a joke - Great big build up to his solo and he played one note)

I loved the gig, my mate loved the gig, everyone had a smiley face at the end.

I know people have complained about the setlist for the tour not being different enough, but I saw him last year twice and the setlist is vastly different from last years. And the song he did play last year, he played differently.
Yes, you're older now and you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you
Izzy Eviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
Sydneyfan

No, alt-country.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Izzy Eviel
I know

Yea the crowd was shite. Too many people who insist upon drinking 5 pints during the gig even thou they dont have bladders and keep pushing their way thru the crowd during songs to get drinks or have a piss. I kicked those people in the shins. (Accidently of course )
Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell are the (3)'s on the setlist?

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Sydneyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
What the hell are the (3)'s on the setlist?
I have no clue, but someone else said they are capos.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Izzy Eviel
I know

Capo position on Ryan's guitar.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:20 AM   #12
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Sounds mixed....Ryan seems to have enjoyed himself. I do wonder if other people are getting bored with the Cardinology sound though.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #13
Izzy Eviel
I know

He did seem happy enough, had a few issues with his guitar (nothing major) but he kept making sarcastic remarks about how he was playing Mother f**King happy music for the beach. It was funny the first time, but he kept saying it before every other song and it got boring. Music was awesome, ryan should've shut up more.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

I really enjoyed myself. Missed the first two songs - which is a shame because they are two favourites of mine. It was probably the rockiest i've heard the band. Few people around us were singing along too, which is always good.

Best song for me was Goodnight Rose.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Faded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to beholdFaded Rose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine4Life View Post
I really enjoyed myself. Missed the first two songs - which is a shame because they are two favourites of mine. It was probably the rockiest i've heard the band. Few people around us were singing along too, which is always good.

Best song for me was Goodnight Rose.

My song..

Why did you miss the first two songs? *asks innocently*
Old 11-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Libertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to allLibertine4Life is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
My song..

Why did you miss the first two songs? *asks innocently*
I was at the bar
Old 11-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #17
Magnolia Mountain
groupie incognito

Magnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to beholdMagnolia Mountain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded Rose View Post
My song..
If there's a Toronto show, and they play Magnolia Mountain, I will just assume they were dedicating it to me.
Magnolia Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:59 AM   #18
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Mountain View Post
If there's a Toronto show, and they play Magnolia Mountain, I will just assume they were dedicating it to me.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #19
Jimmy James
Jimmy James

Jimmy James will become famous soon enough

I was at the Dublin gig and went to the Brixton one thinking that the band would just ignore the fans and play their songs again.

However I was pleasantly surprised to see that the band were in a great mood despite the twats talking at the bar. I managed to get right to the front 3 rows so couldn't here it most of the time.

I thought it was a fantastic show. Rescue Blues was magical, Come Pick Me Up sounded great with the harmonica back into the song. Wonderwall was amazing. Crossed Out Name and Sink Ships was also a highlight and I love the way they ended the show with the heavy version of I See Monsters.

Ryan seemed to be enjoying it for a change and was quite funny and full of energy, like the old Ryan I knew and loved.

However, I do hope the adrenaline was making him behave that way rather than anything else, ie a foreign chemical!!

Fantastic Gig.

Loved it. One of the best I have seen for a long time. Probably the best one i've seen since the Rock n' Roll tour where Ryan played at the kentish town forum and mixed up an acoustic and Rocky set list.

Good to see the band on top form not musically (because this has never waned) but by interacting with the audience.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #20
Faded Rose
You and Me Babe

Quote:
Ryan Adams
Brixton Academy, London
3 out of 5

* Caroline Sullivan
o Caroline Sullivan
o guardian.co.uk, Wednesday November 26 2008 00.04 GMT
o The Guardian, Tuesday November 25 2008

Despite what Ryan Adams tells us tonight, it wasn't true that this was the first time he had ever played London "without being chemically challenged". His 2007 tour was also undertaken compos mentis, or so he said at the time. Perhaps the difference is that, this time around, he's working so hard at sobriety that he can't stop talking about it.

And he seems to hate it. How else to interpret remarks such as "This is another song about how well-adjusted I am" and "Here's another song about being so fuckin' happy"? Without the crutch that helped to create his beautiful-mess persona, maybe he fears that he's just another alt.country boy with an ear for sweet but innocuous melancholy - and he wouldn't be entirely wrong.

There are many times during this show when he and his band, the Cardinals, get their teeth into some instrumental passage they find especially juicy, and play a 10-minute jam that makes you doze off in your seat. There might be a lot of skill behind those gently weeping guitars, but three minutes would have sufficed. Consider, too, that Adams staunchly refuses to be frontman, lurking instead in an unlit corner to the left of the drummer; he should have thought twice about playing a 4,000-capacity venue.

Obviously, his fiercely committed fans would disagree. To those who've stuck with him through 15 rollercoaster years, he's a demigod. They applaud him through a set comprised of bites from new album Cardinology (the emphatically rootsy Cobwebs stands out), raspily sung honky-tonk favourites (La Cienega, Come Pick Me Up) and - a salute to his American tour-mates, Oasis - a perversely bleak Wonderwall. "Thanks for coming out to hear some jams," says Adams. Fewer jams and more tunes would have been better by far.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #21
Izzy Eviel
I know

What show did she see? the jam in Goodnight Rose only lasted 2 minutes and that was the longest one? What a twit.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #22
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Eviel View Post
What show did she see? the jam in Goodnight Rose only lasted 2 minutes and that was the longest one? What a twit.
The "doze off into my seat" bit was what got me.

Just stand up and have a good time then you stupid bint.
I find it's easier to be critical when you're sat there looking for mistakes. I understand its part of her job, but it seems most of the criticism is about what Ryan does in between songs, rather than the songs themselves.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #23
roxy031
Barkley Loves You.

roxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to beholdroxy031 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Just stand up and have a good time then you stupid bint.
What on Earth is a bint? Am I allowed to call people that? I'm learning new words all the time from you, L!
roxy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #24
Libertine4Life
Dig Out Your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy031 View Post
What on Earth is a bint? Am I allowed to call people that? I'm learning new words all the time from you, L!
Yes you can.

Stupid woman = bint
Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 AM   #25
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yes you can.

Stupid woman = bint
My boss is a bint.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
brixton, brixton academy, london, united kingdom