TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music > 2017 Albums Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Wiki Arcade Photos Mark Forums Read

Japandroids - Near to the Wild Heart of Life [Jan 27]

Old 11-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #26
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Japandroids - Near to the Wild Heart of Life [Jan 27]

http://www.stereogum.com/featured/qa...heart-of-life/
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #27
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.goldflakepaint.co.uk/old-...h-japandroids/
Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #28
Rob
Administrator

Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute

new track is on Spotify/Apple Music
Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #29
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

I like the new single, though they said Tom Waits was an influence on the new album? How? If it's just a hat tip because they're on ANTI-, that's cool.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #30
GoodSkanky

Got "No Known Drink or Drug" emailed to me b/c of my pre-order. Not bad. Not as good as the title track. Looking forward to the hear the whole record.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #31
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

let me know when this leaks.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #32
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Streaming at NPR
Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #33
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

CHOWDER!!!!!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #34
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Streaming at NPR
OOOH! Thanks for the heads up! I may have to cancel an appointment today so I can close my office door and prance around while listening.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #35
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Just now giving it a listen, but the title track is everything I want from a Japandroids song.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #36
GoodSkanky

Haven't had a one-sitting listen, but like it so far. The title track is best so far for fist pump anthems. This won't top Celebration Rock in that department, but I'm liking the rest in it's own right. I have the feeling it will get more front to back play than much of their other records.

Are ya digging it?
Old 01-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #37
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I'll give it a peek tonight.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #38
GoodSkanky

Got my DL today in my email.

Pretty tame by comparison to their other albums, but really good.

I like North South East West track a lot right now.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #39
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 will become famous soon enough

Just grabbed tix to their show in Denver. Gonna be great.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #40
hildegoat
Hank Loves You.

hildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond reputehildegoat has a reputation beyond repute

The Ringer nails it. There's nothing deep and artsy here, it's just a fun record to listen to.

https://theringer.com/the-japandroid...00b#.tjkorbmts
hildegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #41
GoodSkanky

nice. My LP and 7" should be waiting for me at the US mailbox. Can't wait to get the hard goods.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #42
GoodSkanky

GOT EM. Cool package. I need to spin the 7" to hear the Talking heads cover. I got the Coke Bottle clear version.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #43
JackStark211

What is the Talking Head cover?
Old 01-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #44
GoodSkanky

B-Side of the 7"

Love -> Building on Fire.

It's pretty good... cool sound. Not a lot of high low points dynamically, but well done.

Their cover of Big Black's Racer X is still my favourite.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #45
Tim Simmons

It took me about 4-5 listens to really get deep. Loving it. Its not pure fire like CR, but its a winner.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #46
GILMORE104
Moo

It's really good, and is being underrated by reviewers. Not nearly as derivative as they claim.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #47
Tim Simmons

Yeah. Definitely underrated
Old 02-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #48
GoodSkanky

I liked that Ringer review for the most part... have the others been less positive?

It's easy to hear Japandroids and think simple, raw, immediate rawk in 1-2 dimensions

However, I find their layering choices, sounds, lyrics to often be young/restless but also wise/profound on a certain level.

I also appreciated that even with the overdubs, addition of synths, etc., that it still sounds like a band and that I would translate well live. Sometimes the album is so produced that I lose the immediacy and visceralness to it.

Reviewers will miss this realness that I crave 9 times out of 10.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #49
GILMORE104
Moo

Most reviews I've seen boil down to "we've heard this record before, it's just not as good." Even the reviews that are trying to be glowing saying "it's lame, and we know it's lame, but that's why we love it!" really undersell how good the album is.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #50
GoodSkanky

Weaksauce... Japandroids kick ass.
Sponsored Links

Tags
chowder bags are ready to burst!!!, reason to make it to 2017