TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan Adams' Music Now

Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #101
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Ryan Adams' Music Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I'm getting a ton of RA on random on my car iPod. Brutal.

This is the first time an artist I've been this devoted to has been accused of this sort of thing (not counting purposefully transgression-ist stuff and I've probably still got some James Levine classical albums).

I also think this has been difficult and RA's lyrics seems so personal both to him and to me. If this was Motley Crue or something, it wouldn't really matter to me. Hell, they'd probably be celebrated for it by some.

I was actually looking to downsize my vinyl. Selfishly, I don't think those RA 7"s will hold their value after this!

I've decided to take the RA off my iPod for now. I haven't deleted the files and haven't planned to give up the hard copies. I need some more time.

I usually love 1-2 tunes from the last three albums, but could take or leave the rest. That said, if and when Big Colors is released, I'll probably pass. If he ever really releases Catherine... well, that will be tough to resist.

I haven't had many singer/songwriters move me vocally the way Ryan has. I'm not enjoying Tweedy/Wilco these days as much. The Conors, Isbells, Townes Earles, etc. all good, but I haven't found myself in the space Ryan could get me to. This sucks.

Back to Hardcore punk, and contemporary classical I guess. Like that other fellow said, if you got a singer/songwriter on Ryans level (preferably not a perv) to recommend, let me know.
Pretty much sums up my feelings. I'm just very mad at Ryan for what he did to those ladies and selfishly for what he did to me. I hurt over this. And I am so let down.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #102
Hooper

Hooper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofabitchVanOwen View Post
Also, has anyone considered that Ryan seems to be a weird creative vampire? It's like, in addition to sex, he very obviously wants emotional connections with these women. And those emotional connections inform and facilitate his art. It's almost like he's seeking out people that can inspire his music so that he can keep producing and then uses music itself as a way of luring those people in. Music and emotional trauma are so symbiotic for him that he was probably able to justify using the former to secure the latter, since the latter directly enables the former.
Yes. A lot of it reminds me of someone with BPD who I was in a relationship with.

I said elsewhere, he's after the extremes, the intensities - the falling in and the fallout. No capability, and maybe no interest, in the work of a settled relationship. The women are a means to that as much as they are a means to sex (and a sense of control, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_supply
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #103
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I'm getting a ton of RA on random on my car iPod. Brutal.

This is the first time an artist I've been this devoted to has been accused of this sort of thing (not counting purposefully transgression-ist stuff and I've probably still got some James Levine classical albums).

I also think this has been difficult and RA's lyrics seems so personal both to him and to me. If this was Motley Crue or something, it wouldn't really matter to me. Hell, they'd probably be celebrated for it by some.

I was actually looking to downsize my vinyl. Selfishly, I don't think those RA 7"s will hold their value after this!

I've decided to take the RA off my iPod for now. I haven't deleted the files and haven't planned to give up the hard copies. I need some more time.

I usually love 1-2 tunes from the last three albums, but could take or leave the rest. That said, if and when Big Colors is released, I'll probably pass. If he ever really releases Catherine... well, that will be tough to resist.

I haven't had many singer/songwriters move me vocally the way Ryan has. I'm not enjoying Tweedy/Wilco these days as much. The Conors, Isbells, Townes Earles, etc. all good, but I haven't found myself in the space Ryan could get me to. This sucks.

Back to Hardcore punk, and contemporary classical I guess. Like that other fellow said, if you got a singer/songwriter on Ryans level (preferably not a perv) to recommend, let me know.
Yep, all this. 100x

James Levine, I think I've got one CD with Philly buried in there somewhere...I always found his interpretations to be a bit heavy, but there was some video, or maybe it was a Live in HD Met Broadcast where they focused on him rehearsing the Met before the Ring Cycle and OH MY GOD that guy was actually really and truly a genius. I can't imagine having a mind and ear that worked that way, truly other level. We all probably throw the word genius around too much these days. But Levine was a genius.

But I always had heard about him so maybe it was subconscious why I stayed away from his recordings and following his career.

Also that's why that Bill Preucil stuff was so hard to take. I always knew about it, and plus if you ever saw him IRL it was so obvious he was a letch, but he was an amazing talent. I've never seen a concertmaster do what he does. I can't even fathom having ears like that. But always, always waiting for that shoe to drop. It couldn't have ended any other way. Even in a different climate, even without #metoo, it was going to end this way.

All that to say, it's going to be a good long while before I can listen to RA again.

I've been sort of done since Prisoner anyway. I wasn't crazy over self-titled, or I was at first but found I never came back to it the way that I save up JCN for particular moments, or the way that I listen to Cold Roses at least once a week all the way through. (I actually listened to it all the way through recently and thought I liked it better than I'd remembered. I don't know what that says.) So I've already been unexcited for the new records. I think it's just where I am in my life. It's not going to bother me not to hear the new music. But some of the older stuff is so part of my musical taste dna now, I'm certain there hasn't been a day for the last 10-13 years when I haven't listened to Ryan Adams, or had an RA earworm. For a while there, more than Neil Young. So it's going to take a while.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #104
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Pretty much sums up my feelings. I'm just very mad at Ryan for what he did to those ladies and selfishly for what he did to me. I hurt over this. And I am so let down.
Yep. Same. It's a big hole to fill in my music listening life.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #105
sniffer17

sniffer17 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to keep on listening, it's not like I sit there thinking about Ryan when I put his records on. For me the songs make me think about my own heartbreaks, good times and bad times and events in my life when the records came out.

If he had done something really horrifying (MJ, Lost Prophets ) it might be more overwhelming but as it stands I can split the music from the man. I'd always have assumed that like most singers he will have slept with hundreds of fans, some of whom were of questionable age, so sexting a 15 year old doesn't seem all that shocking.

Seeing him live - I'm undecided at the moment

Telling other people to listen to him - Think I'm done with that
sniffer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #106
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffer17 View Post
If he had done something really horrifying (MJ, Lost Prophets ) it might be more overwhelming but as it stands I can split the music from the man. I'd always have assumed that like most singers he will have slept with hundreds of fans, some of whom were of questionable age, so sexting a 15 year old doesn't seem all that shocking.
You can justify remaining a fan without minimizing how fucked up his actions are.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #107
jeffs98119

jeffs98119 is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't sleep last night and put on "Stop" and "Crossed Out Name" and a few others around 4 a.m. They still helped. Had lost none of their power. I feel bad for the women (less so for MM, who seems highly complicit in a co-dependent relationship and now seems eager to publicize her suffering) but it hasn't wrecked the music for me. And I still want to hear the new albums, though the last two fell completely flat for me. I hope Ryan is getting help and can work his way back into a better place.
jeffs98119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #108
sniffer17

sniffer17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkjam View Post
You can justify remaining a fan without minimizing how fucked up his actions are.
Iím not saying what he did wasnít bad, just that Iím not surprised he did it. He was clearly capable of this fucked up stuff but I listened anyway.
sniffer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #109
happyhead

happyhead is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no way I can stop myself from giving "Strawberry Wine" a spin when feeling nostalgic or sad about something....and the new circumstances might even make it more potent. The loss. The regret. The sweep of memories. Simply gorgeous. Great art is often crafted by less than stellar individuals. It's always been that way.
happyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #110
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post
There's no way I can stop myself from giving "Strawberry Wine" a spin when feeling nostalgic or sad about something....and the new circumstances might even make it more potent. The loss. The regret. The sweep of memories. Simply gorgeous. Great art is often crafted by less than stellar individuals. It's always been that way.
Very true.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #111
jeffs98119

jeffs98119 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post
Speaking of more potent, give "Crossed Out Name" a spin. Plays like the theme song to Ryan's current life.
jeffs98119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #112
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

meh.

it's just fucking music and for me, those memories are made and long past. memories w/ my bro don't feel tainted or sickened just because a fucking piece of shit sang and wrote em.

my energy and support will be more worthwhile artists and thoughts and prayers that the industry can get its shit together to support and help women....fuck that ryan adams, fuck any pervert or asshole that abuses women. not worth my time or money or energy.
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #113
delvis

delvis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
meh.

it's just fucking music and for me, those memories are made and long past. memories w/ my bro don't feel tainted or sickened just because a fucking piece of shit sang and wrote em.

my energy and support will be more worthwhile artists and thoughts and prayers that the industry can get its shit together to support and help women....fuck that ryan adams, fuck any pervert or asshole that abuses women. not worth my time or money or energy.
100% Balv
delvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #114
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvis View Post
100% Balv
this ellsworth fella out of canada ain't half bad...should divert some love his way
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #115
delvis

delvis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalvenie View Post
this ellsworth fella out of canada ain't half bad...should divert some love his way

Thx bud. I do what I can.
delvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links