TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
sleigher

sleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of light

apologies if theres already another thread about this album - but ill be damned if i could find one

this is one of my very favorite albums from him - for me the trifecta is love is hell/llor n kcor/twenty nine - this one has always seemed like his most vulnerable one to me - the title track is pretty transparent and strawberry wine is definitely maybe the best song hes ever written ... there also seems to be a connection to desire [my favorite bob dylan album] to me - each has nine songs - both have a few long story songs - both have rare super personal/transparent songs [title track/sara] - mozambique/romance in durango are mirrored in the sadness

at any rate - its a great album and i guess im just wondering how other people view it? love it or hate it?
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough
Re: 29

First Ryan album I picked up, on a whim, way back in '05. It was his latest release at the time and I was like "Errrr... OK". Changed my life. I often think that it is his best album. It's probably certainly my favourite. Sure, it being the first probably plays a part in me thinking this, but also I look at most all Ryan albums as a collection of songs, but not necessarily as a statement piece. 29, to me, feels like a cohesive piece.

I also love the art. I know a lot of people don't, but yeah.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dowd; 01-25-2018 at 03:42 PM..
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Love the album. This album reminds me of my dad. I burned him a copy before he left on a trip. That evening he called me while having some scotch and playing the album to thank me for introducing him to Ryan and to tell me how much he was enjoying the record. I miss the man. I have not been able to listen to it since he passed.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
BadMustard

BadMustard is a jewel in the roughBadMustard is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStark211 View Post
Love the album. This album reminds me of my dad. I burned him a copy before he left on a trip. That evening he called me while having some scotch and playing the album to thank me for introducing him to Ryan and to tell me how much he was enjoying the record. I miss the man. I have not been able to listen to it since he passed.
Damn, sorry for your loss. That is intense, and so is the album. Supposed to cut that deep.
BadMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Total gem. Strawberry Wine & Carolina Rain are arguably two of the best songs he's ever written.

Is there anything else in the catalogue quite like The Sadness?

Beautiful record.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

a great record for sure.

love it from start to finish
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
roscoe

roscoe is a jewel in the roughroscoe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
apologies if theres already another thread about this album - but ill be damned if i could find one

this is one of my very favorite albums from him - for me the trifecta is love is hell/llor n kcor/twenty nine - this one has always seemed like his most vulnerable one to me - the title track is pretty transparent and strawberry wine is definitely maybe the best song hes ever written ... there also seems to be a connection to desire [my favorite bob dylan album] to me - each has nine songs - both have a few long story songs - both have rare super personal/transparent songs [title track/sara] - mozambique/romance in durango are mirrored in the sadness

at any rate - its a great album and i guess im just wondering how other people view it? love it or hate it?
I like the 'Desire' comparison Sleigher. Sometimes wish Ryan would stretch out a little more lyrically & do some more 3rd person/story songs - 'Carolina Rain' & 'Strawberry Wine' are 2 of his very best as roshea says, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

http://www.roscoe.bandcamp.com
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I love this one. Very stark, exposed, barren, and beautiful. I even enjoy The Saddness and Voices.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
JohnnyT

JohnnyT is an unknown quantity at this point

Tied with Love Is Hell for my favorite. Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play That Part is, in my opinion, in the top 3 most beautiful songs he's ever written. The Sadness is the only weak song on the record. It's good, but on this record it throws off the whole feeling of it. The Sadness could have been replaced, but everything else is literally perfect.
JohnnyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #10
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Aside from some of the unreleased stuff, 29 is probably my favorite. I can't listen to it too often, though. When I first picked it up, I was in my car driving home from a gig, I nearly had to pull over.

I actually like the Sadness. The music (faux Spanish, or spaghetti westernish) makes me sort of understand that this is a battle with oneself. Or more like tilting at windmills.

The record has some of his best songwriting, I love the story songs; I wish he wrote more of them. I love Strawberry Wine and Carolina Rain. (Carolina Rain was the first Ryan song I got kind of obsessed with. I had it on some mix before I ever hear the record.)
Elizabeth, you were born to play that part is unbelievable.
I don't even know what Voices is about but it has some kind of effect on me. It's really haunting. I don't even want to know what Voices is about.

There's so much evocative imagery in the whole record. Blue sky blues, Starlight Diner.

It's hard for me to contextualize 29. But I love it.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
Loveishello86

Loveishello86 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Tied with Love Is Hell for my favorite. Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play That Part is, in my opinion, in the top 3 most beautiful songs he's ever written. The Sadness is the only weak song on the record. It's good, but on this record it throws off the whole feeling of it. The Sadness could have been replaced, but everything else is literally perfect.
Strawberry Wine and Elizabeth, you were born to play that part are def top Ryan songs for me. Just beautiful... Yeah i love this album
Loveishello86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough

Of note, never really understood the hatred for The Sadness. Like, to me, if 29 is supposed to (fictionally/literally) represent each year of his 20s (or there abouts), that song stands as the melodramatic ridiculousness that comes with being someone in their 20s (or older, if that's your bag). So yeah, I think, as a song, it doesn't suck - it's well written, impassioned and a ballsy middle finger to "good taste". I love jt. Just my take, though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
shamooth

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

definitely one of my favorites and definitely one of his best.
emotional and cinematic.
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

I think It's my favourite. Didn't get it at first but I put in on late one night driving alone down country rounds and I was stunned. It's his most intimate, coherent and 'complete ' album. It works start to finish in a way I Don't think any of his others do.

I think it also contains some of his best songs.
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

I really do like the Sadness. And, as I mentioned before, I can't think of anything else in his catalogue that's anything like it.

This was the first vinyl I ever bought and played, too.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #16
shamooth

it really fit perfectly as part of the trilogy. cold roses came out in the spring, bringing hope for the summer, JCN came out in Sept and you could just feel the fall coming on in those songs, and then 29 came out just in time to bundle up for the winter and self medicate. 2005 was an amazing year for his music and my life as well. it all just fit so perfectly together.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #17
Carolina2117

Carolina2117 has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play That Part is, in my opinion, in the top 3 most beautiful songs he's ever written.
I agree, this song is perfect, refined. He doesn't sing it very often, however...
So many of these songs touch the heart, it would be very difficult to choose just one.
Carolina2117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 PM   #18
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
Aside from some of the unreleased stuff, 29 is probably my favorite. I can't listen to it too often, though. When I first picked it up, I was in my car driving home from a gig, I nearly had to pull over.

I actually like the Sadness. The music (faux Spanish, or spaghetti westernish) makes me sort of understand that this is a battle with oneself. Or more like tilting at windmills.

The record has some of his best songwriting, I love the story songs; I wish he wrote more of them. I love Strawberry Wine and Carolina Rain. (Carolina Rain was the first Ryan song I got kind of obsessed with. I had it on some mix before I ever hear the record.)
Elizabeth, you were born to play that part is unbelievable.
I don't even know what Voices is about but it has some kind of effect on me. It's really haunting. I don't even want to know what Voices is about.

There's so much evocative imagery in the whole record. Blue sky blues, Starlight Diner.

It's hard for me to contextualize 29. But I love it.
ViolaGal... I often discribe 29 as Ryan’s Winterreise. Would you agree?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #19
BadMustard

BadMustard is a jewel in the roughBadMustard is a jewel in the rough

Voices is, without a doubt, the most distressing song I have ever heard. He is a genius.
BadMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #20
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
ViolaGal... I often discribe 29 as Ryan’s Winterreise. Would you agree?
That just gave me a chill, I'd never thought of that before. I'm going to have to think on that for a bit...

I've always compared it (in my mind) to Neil Young's Ditch trilogy. The only thing really comparable is that it's a trilogy. But sonically 29 is alone in Ryan Adam's discography in a way that On the Beach is sonically alone in Neil Young's discography. (Specifically side 2 of On the Beach.)

But Schubert, that's interesting.

Last edited by ViolaGal; 01-27-2018 at 09:46 AM..
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #21
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

Nightbirds cuts me to the core.
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #22
an old love letter

an old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of lightan old love letter is a glorious beacon of light

Long live narrative songwriting
Old 01-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #23
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaGal View Post
That just gave me a chill, I'd never thought of that before. I'm going to have to think on that for a bit...

I've always compared it (in my mind) to Neil Young's Ditch trilogy. The only thing really comparable is that it's a trilogy. But sonically 29 is alone in Ryan Adam's discography in a way that On the Beach is sonically alone in Neil Young's discography. (Specifically side 2 of On the Beach.)

But Schubert, that's interesting.
While the songs are not all related, I do find the album to have steady trajectory towards the barrenness and despair. The exile and death of youth. 29 came out in December, so the songs and the chill of winter reminded me of Schubert’s main character and the hopelessness the drove him to perish in the snow.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #24
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

I consider 29 the most interesting record of his catalogue. Indeed, it's barren, full of despair and I agree with 'the death of youth' theme. It's probably his most honest, personal and 'true to self' record, whereas the other records can often be considered 'genre exercises' sound wise. I always have the feeling that Ryan went into the studio to get this one out of his system like pus from a wound (pardon the extreme reference).

I don't remember Ryan doing any press for this. Ethan Johns, as the producer, did some press. Maybe it was too personal?
Old 01-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #25
shamooth

there's this. http://www.tobeyoung.org/showthread.php?t=29898
and this. http://mega-superior-gold.blogspot.com/2013/02/29.html
Sponsored Links