TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

"New Album" thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #26
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold
Re: "New Album" thread

Those tunes were sounding good...
Old 04-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #27
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

all my focus turns to the new Johnny Marr album in June.
that will not disappoint.
Durk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #28
soprano15104

soprano15104 has a spectacular aura about

Ryan did a live stream two days ago and said he recorded two albums. One of them he likes better and more epic rock focused. He's not sure if he'll release the other one. He also said a blue grass album with the string dusters is in the works.
soprano15104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by soprano15104 View Post
He also said a blue grass album with the string dusters is in the works.
Make this happen
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #30
BadMustard

BadMustard is a jewel in the roughBadMustard is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Make this happen
All I want for Christmas....
BadMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #31
LoadedLikeFreights

LoadedLikeFreights will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by soprano15104 View Post
He also said a blue grass album with the string dusters is in the works.
I'll believe it when we hear it, but holy shit, that'd be amazing
LoadedLikeFreights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #32
Durk

Durk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of lightDurk is a glorious beacon of light

what does everyone think of the new stuff he's posting on Instagram?
very slow- drone with piano- like war on drugs.
it's a departure from the smithsy-guitar stuff he had been posting.
is that the music he scrapped?
i say departure- but when you think about it it's not that radical from some tunes on LiH like Avalanche.
Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #33
sleigher

sleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk View Post
i say departure- but when you think about it it's not that radical from some tunes on LiH like Avalanche.
Thoughts?
havent heard any of it [banned]

is it similar to jesus [dont touch my baby] and/or political scientist?

if so - im down

not a fan of war on drugs so if its a carbon copy then i am non plussed
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #34
Durk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleigher View Post
havent heard any of it [banned]

is it similar to jesus [dont touch my baby] and/or political scientist?

if so - im down

not a fan of war on drugs so if its a carbon copy then i am non plussed
more similar to The Shadowlands
Old 04-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #35
sleigher

sleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of lightsleigher is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
more similar to The Shadowlands
interesting - that works too ... also - completely missed where you mentioned the comparison to avalanche - my bad

id be okay with him doing a springsteen human touch/lucky town thing and just release two different albums on the same day
sleigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #36
JackStark211

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thoughts?

I think that is the music he scraped. Real bummer if it is.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #37
Js22

Js22 is a jewel in the roughJs22 is a jewel in the rough

Did anyone else notice the clip that was posted April 3rd on instagram is 'so quiet, it's loud'?
Js22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #38
sniffer17

sniffer17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js22 View Post
Did anyone else notice the clip that was posted April 3rd on instagram is 'so quiet, it's loud'?
Wow, I missed that. Pretty exciting if he's looking back in the archives for material.
sniffer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #39
JackStark211

I missed that.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #40
fleetingmind

fleetingmind is on a distinguished road

"Slowly but surely and with great care there is a monster of an album being born in my soul and its exiting my heart thru my fingers and voice into my studio every day.

It will be the one."

In reply on Twitter to someone asking about a new album.
We've had this anticipation many times before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
fleetingmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:43 AM   #41
gavinm

gavinm has a spectacular aura about

Maybe we should have another thread for a 'new' album. See how many we can create in a year. (Insert winking smiley face here)
gavinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #42
sycamoretree

sycamoretree is an unknown quantity at this point

How about Ryan finally coming to peace with the Cardinals - havenít seen any mentions of it - and for me - itís monumental that heís reflective and giving praise and respect to all 4 versions of the Cardinals - love it - MFC
sycamoretree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #43
shamooth

shamooth has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamoretree View Post
How about Ryan finally coming to peace with the Cardinals - havenít seen any mentions of it - and for me - itís monumental that heís reflective and giving praise and respect to all 4 versions of the Cardinals - love it - MFC
where?
shamooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #44
sycamoretree

sycamoretree is an unknown quantity at this point

In the comments section of his last Instagram post of him and Willie Nelson
sycamoretree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #45
GILMORE104
Moo

GILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud ofGILMORE104 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamoretree View Post
Coming to peace, sort of. He was pretty shitty to Jon after the last break up. That Brad, one of his oldest friends, even took the side of the band kind of lets you know that it'll take more than just a single Instagram comment mentioning the Cardinals to make peace. The only member of any of the versions of the Cardinals we've seen him interact nicely with is Cat, and she pretty much seems to be cool with everyone, and I also didn't see her running back to form a new band with Ryan.

RA clearly has issues with people moving on to do other things. He can't ever just let people move on, he always has to take a parting shot to show that he's better off anyway. He's done it with almost every band he's ever had, and it was ugliest with the last version of the Cardinals, though the way he sent Mike on his way was pretty crummy
Old 05-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #46
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

from the ryanadams reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ryanadams/c...ms_an_asshole/

Quote:
[Ė]jdbrew 8 points 1 month ago
I live out near La, and lot of the musicians I play with are LA musicians. Heís also my favorite artist, but heís an asshole. I donít want to name names, but I know of a story where he had a falling out with a musician he hired frequently, because Ryan kept trying to fuck his girlfriend while they were recording dogs at Pax AM. (I have this story directly from the guy whoís girlfriend Ryan was trying to sleep with) this was also pre-divorce from Mandy.

I know that heís incredibly hard to work with, hence the recent band turn over. Nate Lotz and I both play drums for the same people for gigs down in Orange County (although now with the Ryan Adams stuff, and this big Halsey tour heís pretty much gone from these lower level gigs) I know that Nate didnít like working with him because heís an asshole.

I think Yurco had that same problem.

Freddie Bokkenheuser plays a lot of the same gigs in La as my best friend whoís a guitar player up there. Freddie intentionally never got close enough to be Ryanís on-call guy because Freddie didnít want to be his on call guy. I also know the reason Ryan started working with Nate to begin with was because he called a bunch of drummers one night to record some stuff (around the time of the 1989 sessions) and no one would come play drums for him. Finally someone who was there, maybe stavish, not sure... said their next door neighbor was a drummer. Didnít know his name, didnít know who he played for, didnít even know if he was good... but Ryan said he didnít care, just needed someone to come in and play so they could demo. They knocked on Nateís door, and Nate was home and went to Pax AM and the rest is history.

The few musicians in know in LA, once past the star struck ďRyan Adams wants me to play for him!?Ē Would turn him down.
and more,

Quote:
jdbrew 5 points 1 month ago
Well, Charlie Stavish, who runs his board and plays bass for him, has been there for a bit. Since 2014 heís had 4 drummers, Marshall Vore, Freddie, Nate, and the new guy Aaron Ficca. I donít know if heís using Aaron on the record heís working on now. I havenít seen many pictures of a drummer on his Instagram and Aaron was kind of a last minute fill in. If they hit it off, maybe heís using him. I personally was not a fan of Aaron too much.

As far as guitar, he used Mike Viola on self titles and the resulting Ryan Adams and The Shining tour, and he used Daniel Clark on keys. (Daniel is my favorite keys player heís had too)

Then with Prisoner he grabbed new guys, Freddie got married, viola wanted to do a solo thing, as did Daniel Clarke. I think One of them had a kid too. So out rolls Nate Lotz in drums, fresh out of 1989, then Ryan poached half of Grace Potterís band; Benny Yurco (guitar) and and Ben Alleman (keys). Charlie Stavish still on bass. (Side note: if you listen to the incredible engineering work behind Ryanís 2-night Carnegie Hall acoustic shows, all that was Charlie. Heís a fuckin wizard.)

Benny and Lotz stayed on through about half the tour, and Lotz was given the opportunity to go on a big, major label funded tour with Halsey, who he has been playing for for a long time. So Lotz parted ways, but Ryan wasnít happy about it. He talked a bunch of shit on him at their show at The Greek last year right after this all went down. Dragging his name through the mud and all that.

Benny jumped ship for reasons Iíve never been able to find out. He just moved back into his house in Vermont. I thought maybe heíd do stuff with Grace Potter again, but she just had a baby and hasnít been performing for a bit.

Ben Alleman and Charlie stayed on, and Ryan got Todd Wisenbaker and Aaron Ficca (Aaron used to drum tech for one of Ryanís drummers; maybe Freddie, maybe Nate, not sure...) Todd is a local Hipster dude. Good enough player, but not my cup of tea personally. Benny was my favorite guitar player heís had recently.

I still love his music. Heís hands down my favorite artist, has been for years and will continue to me. If Van Gough was a douche, do you think people would care less about his paintings? No. So to me it doesnít really matter. Sometimes that personality and other associated traits are what contribute to genius. So it doesnít matter to me too much.

In writing out all of this, I realized I need to get a life outside of tracking his musician roster... lol
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #47
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

I read that too

Some interesting stuff in there. I thought Viola got a gig with a record company? I liked Daniel Clarke, but I also really like Alleman.

Drumming has been a major miss for me since Brad left. Haven't been impressed by any of them overall. Charlie seems like a good dude. He's obviously pretty loyal, too, or at least likes the pay these days.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #48
BadMustard

BadMustard is a jewel in the roughBadMustard is a jewel in the rough

hmmm... Does Marshall still appear on Midnight Wave? Phoebe is very pretty.
BadMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #49
TimbrH2001

TimbrH2001 is a jewel in the roughTimbrH2001 is a jewel in the rough

Personally think Aaron is far and away the best drummer he's had since The Cards ended

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
TimbrH2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #50
Durk

none of this was really 'new' information
Sponsored Links