TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > Gross Town > Ryan Adams Discussion
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ryan performing with the LA Phil

Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
scpenguin

scpenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Ryan performing with the LA Phil

Los Angeles area TBYers, you guys are in for a special treat. The LA Phil is having a Bob Mould tribute concert that will feature Ryan as a guest artist. Other musicians scheduled to perform are Bob Mould himself, Ben Gibbard, Dave Grohl, and more.

More details at: http://www.laphil.com/tickets/perfor...il.cfm?id=4788
scpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
scpenguin

scpenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ryan performing with the LA Phil

Upon reading the link more closely, I suspect that the orchestra won't be involved... The concert is just taking place at Disney Hall, which explains the listing on the LA Phil page. Anyway, tickets go on sale Sunday at 10 am!
scpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
babyklipklop
blobby fish

babyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to behold

Lame. I got excited thinking this was going to be at the Hollywood Bowl so I could bring some wine and get wasted while listening to Mould, et al.
babyklipklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Oh godDAMN I want to go to this.

I wonder what song Ryan's gonna pull out.

Never Talking To You Again is one Grohl does on occasion, so he might have dibs on that.

RYAN: DO BLACK SHEETS OF RAIN ALL SLOW LIKE THE MAIDEN COVER.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
babyklipklop
blobby fish

babyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to beholdbabyklipklop is a splendid one to behold

I would consider going to this, but leaving during Margaret Cho's appearance. Hopefully Ryan goes on before her.
babyklipklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I don't really think of her when I think of Bob. Or the dude from Death Cab. Or best Coast. Weird.

Now Dave & Ryan and the dudes from the Hold Steady? They make sense.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Oh godDAMN I want to go to this.

I wonder what song Ryan's gonna pull out.

Never Talking To You Again is one Grohl does on occasion, so he might have dibs on that.

RYAN: DO BLACK SHEETS OF RAIN ALL SLOW LIKE THE MAIDEN COVER.
YES!!! Ryan doing Black Sheets!!! Can't think of a better one at the moment!
I think the Grohl cover is a Grant Hart song anyway.

It'd be a tough one to pull off solo, but Anymore Time Between could be epic with RA solo.

Other Ryan would be awesome on:

Standing in the Rain
maybe Hardly Getting Over It or Too Far Down
Celebrated Summer, though I can't imagine Bob giving that one up...

He do well on Sugar stuff too...
Helpless
Can't believe what you're saying...
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
I think the Grohl cover is a Grant Hart song anyway.
Holy Shit.

Well, looks like I've filled my dumbass moves quota for the day.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Holy Shit.

Well, looks like I've filled my dumbass moves quota for the day.
That's ok... that means Davey needs to step up and learn a Bob song! All these alternative millionaire type like to name drop the old school to keep their street cred. He'll have to work for it. First of the Last Calls, Chartered Trips, or I Will Never Forget You ought to do it.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
That's ok... that means Davey needs to step up and learn a Bob song! All these alternative millionaire type like to name drop the old school to keep their street cred. He'll have to work for it. First of the Last Calls, Chartered Trips, or I Will Never Forget You ought to do it.
I think Grohl has the cred
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bizness View Post
I think Grohl has the cred
He's got $$$. He's obviously great and I know he played in Scream before Nirvana, so he's got the cred too. I should be thankful that he gives shout outs to my fave pre-grunge hardcore guys, but for some reason I find it an opportunist in a way. RA does the same thing too, but for some reason I find it endearing. I'm just old n' jaded.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
La Cienega
la la la la la

La Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant futureLa Cienega has a brilliant future

question: is it normal to have a tribute to someone who is still alive, with the person being celebrated headlining said tribute?

Magnolia Mountain : We'll be an approved fansite in no time, thanks to La's rack!

last.fm
La Cienega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #13
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cienega View Post
question: is it normal to have a tribute to someone who is still alive, with the person being celebrated headlining said tribute?
Perhaps "retrospective" is better...

Bob just finished a pretty comprehensive autobiography about his career, life changes, and it depicts his transformation from his life as a closeted/internally troubled gay man to an out and self affirming one.

This kind of treatment seems to be an after shock of the book.

I do wish I could see it. If anybody out there goes... YouTube it up!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
ewok.online
CATHERINE

I'm seriously debating flying out there.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
GoodSkanky

I wish I could...

I've met Bob a couple of times... great guy, great songs, and I'll always be a fan!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #16
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liyo_...ature=youtu.be
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
GoodSkanky

WOOO!!! I Love this... my two boyfriend/gods hangin' out!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Got tickets.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #19
GoodSkanky

no shit! wow!!! I'll need a full report. I gotta gotta know what RA plays. Bob too, but his live choices aren't usually a surprise, there's one that surprises and also when he premieres new stuff on the road, but otherwise... he has his faves.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #20
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Got pretty decent seats, now I just gotta score some plane tickets. Looks like Nash->LA->MPLS is pretty cheap.

And I'll make sure to document the evening.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #21
btesusan

btesusan is an unknown quantity at this point

I seriously cannot wait for this show.
btesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #22
GoodSkanky

you're going too? excellent...

Ryan and Bob... the onennes
Old 11-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
ewok.online
CATHERINE

I'm stoked for this.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
Sprigg Diggler

Sprigg Diggler is a glorious beacon of lightSprigg Diggler is a glorious beacon of lightSprigg Diggler is a glorious beacon of light

Me too! I'm curious to see what songs Ryan does. I can see him doing "Hardly Getting Over It" by Husker Du if he plays solo acoustic. I'm hoping he does "I Can't Believe What You're Saying" or "Explode and Make Up" from the last Sugar album. I know he likes his solo albums as well so he has plenty of material to chose from.

This has potential to be a very amazing show considering the other great artists playing.
Sprigg Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #25
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Exactly. It's like "Holy shit Bob Mould! AND ALL THE OTHER COOL PEOPLE WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Hey Ryan do Deadly Skies.

Sponsored Links