FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Buying Physical Music - Do You Do It?

Old 04-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
Dowd
Sandwich Eater

Dowd is a jewel in the roughDowd is a jewel in the rough
Buying Physical Music - Do You Do It?

Yo guys.

Just curious, but does anyone still buy physical music around here?

Personally, being born in '87, it's been CDs for me, forever. I always had CDs as a kid, in my 20s, and still do today. I get like two or three albums to the house a week. It's crazy, I know. I never got on board with the vinyl thing. I have maybe 40 records for when/if I eventually do, but, until then, it's CDs all the way. Over the past few years I've really started feeling like a dinosaur, and CDs are slowly becoming harder and harder to come by (unless you live in Japan, the greatest country on Earth). CDs are sorta a joke now, but I still love them. Anyone else out there buying physical stuff, CD or otherwise?

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk
Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
andyo812

andyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of lightandyo812 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Buying Physical Music - Do You Do It?

damn Dowd. Helluva collection and set up.

I purchase vinyl, even though itís kind of a trend among many i view it as something tangible i can hand down to others, like eventually kids. I generally limit this to records I truly love but also will shop used and try to find reasonably priced stuff that I maybe donít celebrate quite as much.

My set up is pretty entry level but I do love the nostalgia and sound and physical element of vinyl. Eventually iíd like to get a proper hifi set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andyo812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

I was a 90s teenager so CDs were a big part of my life. Bought my first vinyl record in 1997 but was still mostly CDs (and vinyl just for favourite artists - Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins mostly that I was trying to collect). CDs were more functional for me until I got an iPod (a bit late to the game - didnít get one until 2006). Until then I had a discman so CDs were still the way to go.

I started getting a bit more vinyl around 2008, and then in 2009 or 2010 as my salary increased a bit and had more disposable income I decided to try to buy everything on vinyl from that point on, which Iíve done (unless itís not released on vinyl, then Iíll buy the CD).

Iíve replaced heaps of my CDs with vinyl over the years so there arenít so many CDs left, and theyíre not out on display except for the box sets. I have them all in drawers in the garage but they still get used - Iím always pulling ones out and rotating the CDs I have in the car.

lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
folkjam

folkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to allfolkjam is a name known to all

Still buy primarily CDs unless it's verified that a vinyl pressing sounds much better. But I have thousands of each, and I hope CDs continue to hold on.
folkjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
JackStark211
The King Of The Cocklords

JackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to beholdJackStark211 is a splendid one to behold

I do. I grew up on CD's. My first ones were Counting Crows - August and Everything After, REM - Out of Time, & Jurassic Park - Soundtrack. I still bout cd's until probably mid 2000's. When digital music was much easier to find, it was only CD's fro my favorite artist. Around 2013 or so is when I started buying vinyl. That's all I buy now. I have a nice little collection.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond reputeTim Simmons has a reputation beyond repute

Of course. Now it’s vinyl only. Been buying wax since 95, went vinyl only in 2005-6.

Had around 2000 CDs in the mid aughts, sold most and maybe have around 300 now.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

not as much as i used to
but yeah i do it to support the musicians i love
isbell, isakov, carlile, craigie, springsteen, adams, rateliff, stapleton, etc

very picky about who i'll buy physcial albums for
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. Less than I used to. I'll have to snap a photo of my CD wall. Lots of stuff accumulated since the late 80s. Rock, Punk/Hardcore, a little metal, lots of "quality" stuff, prog, or what ever. Separate sections for classical/contemporary music; and jazz. I have a vinyl collection as well. If I've accumulated old demos or rarities on cassette, I keep those.

My corny punk band did a 7" in 87, and it's oddly lasted as long as any of my "better" music. That medium is hopefully back to stay, though I used to buy vinyl back in the day as a cheaper alternative to CD! It'd be nice to pay less than $25 for record.
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
thebalvenie
fenk povitive!!! :)

thebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to beholdthebalvenie is a splendid one to behold

I go on discogs and collect bruce vinyl
thebalvenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
ViolaGal

ViolaGal is a jewel in the roughViolaGal is a jewel in the rough

I usually buy physical copies. I just got a turntable about 5 years ago, tend to buy music I know I'll want to keep on vinyl. Or cheap records that I can trade back later, but are fun for a bit. I also try not to buy new records that don't have a download card or autorip. I do want to have a digital copy, too, and have no way to make it happen. (That being said I did just buy Gary Clark Jrs new record and it has neither and I was annoyed.)
I also buy CDs, but I'm trying to weed out ones I don't listen to very often.

We just moved, and while packing had to come to terms with the amount of shit I've accumulated. I made some hard decisions about books and the space they take up. It hurt, a lot. I couldn't quite get to the same place with music. I culled a few things, but not many.

Also I'm older than most of you, and I still have a couple of my original records in my collection. I have my Star Wars soundtrack that I basically ruined listening to it so much.
ViolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #11
roshea999
Mr. Garth.

roshea999 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyo812 View Post
damn Dowd. Helluva collection and set up.

I purchase vinyl, even though itís kind of a trend among many i view it as something tangible i can hand down to others, like eventually kids. I generally limit this to records I truly love but also will shop used and try to find reasonably priced stuff that I maybe donít celebrate quite as much.

My set up is pretty entry level but I do love the nostalgia and sound and physical element of vinyl. Eventually iíd like to get a proper hifi set up.

Pretty much where I'm at. I only buy vinyl I have intentions of listening to. Generally avoid pre-ordering because I like to hear it before committing to it. I have about 150 records - including a good chunk that were gifted to me by people that were trying to get rid of them. I'm happy where it's at and I'm eager to see it grow.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:01 AM   #12
SlowMovinOutlaw

SlowMovinOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

Folks were practically giving away vinyl to switch to cd mid ‘80s into ‘90s. I grew up in my old man’s record store around that time and began accumulating LP’s, 78’s and 45’s, never stopped. Also cassettes, reel to reel, 8 tracks, and equipment to play all those formats. Haven’t bought a new cd since around 2005 (with a few exceptions for live shows with no vinyl options) but still buy cd’s from thrift stores occasionally. I prefer original vinyl pressings and new releases with download code, but simply rip to digital if that’s not offered and keep a digital collection on two external hard drives (one is a backup, learned the hard way). I don’t even use an iPod anymore, just a flash drive in the truck is much easier for me. Try to keep the cd collection to a minimum and those I keep are boxed away after digital transfer. Plenty of artists I’ll preorder with little or no listen beforehand. Everything is played, certainly some more/less than others. I’m a bit fanatical about my collection and curate it like a library.
SlowMovinOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #13
Electricityscape

Electricityscape is on a distinguished road

I still buy physical music. Mostly CDs since they are cheaper, sometimes ridiculously cheap, and more practical, because I don't have to get up to flip sides after 2 or 3 songs and I can take them with me in the car. I buy vinyl from my favorite bands or when they don't cost that much more than the CD (3 or 4 euros more). Or when they put a CD with the record, I really, really, really love that combination! It's a shame they don't do it that more often.

I started collecting CDs around 2002 and I got my first vinyl record, You Gotta Go There To Come Back by Stereophonics, around 2003 or maybe 2004. Bought vinyl ever since. It was still a niche back then and not overpriced. I got the Love Is Hell 10 inch version for 18 euros new and unplayed.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #14
Dr. Hund

Dr. Hund is an unknown quantity at this point

I still buy CDs. I was opposed to digital downloads for a long time....still are but not as much. The compression & other dynamics involved in their sound has gotten better and sometimes now a digital download is the only way to obtain some music. But I prefer CDs. I will play them in house/car and also download specific selections (not the download link) via my Apple Superdrive/iMac to iTunes, then burn mix CDs of all variations which I tend to listen to the most.

I still prefer to listen to CDs in the car vs. via my phone. I don't listen to music via ear buds - I like open air listening...in the car, in the house w/ surround sound, and outside on my deck with hard wired outdoor speakers.

Love vinyl and have quite a collection (old school) but its not practical to listen to all the time.

So I mostly buy CDs and burn them to mixed CDs. Crazy right? But this is what I like and I believe I can tell a diff in the sound.

Question: Can you download/burn songs from Amazon Prime @ no charge? I've heard so many different things because I guess no one does it. Can I place any song from Amazon Prime music into my iTunes library just as if I bought the song as a non Amazon prime customer? If I could do that, than I could burn the song onto a CD, correct?
Dr. Hund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
a devil in paradise
massively dull

a devil in paradise is an unknown quantity at this point

I very, very rarely buy physical media. My only working CD player is in my car, and I don't have a turntable, so it'd be silly to buy much. Basically I buy stuff a) for the car b) if it's a band I see live in a little club and wanna support them / not have to remember their name the next day (ah, beer!) c) something important and collectible to me, like a Beatles re-release etc. I have a huge CD collection -- in boxes, in storage.
a devil in paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links