TBY Forum

Go Back   TBY Forum > General > Music
FAQDonate Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

The Electric Guitar Player Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #26
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Electric Guitar Player Thread

So you guys should appreciate this. While drunk last night, me and my friend decided to do a cover of The Outfield's Your Love. We did this previously with Tommy Tutone's 867-5309 (Jenny).

So today I laid down a guide track, and I think these guitars might be the master takes. They just came out so sweet. Haha. The one in the middle that pans left is my SG, and the second one that comes in on the right is my Frankentele.

Both through my Marshall with an SM57 crammed down the speaker's throat, and then a little EQ and finally some compression via an LA-3A in Pro Tools. Tasty.

http://soundcloud.com/ewokonline/your-love-ruff

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
ewok.online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #27
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

gsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to all

Awesome. I fucking love this song; many good memories of dancing my shitfaced brains out to this song a few years ago. Great cover wok! Love the tone your getting on those guitars; great mic'ing job. What mic are you using on the vocals? My prefered mic right now is a Shure SM7B.

Are you gonna add the extra guitar lick on the tag? That's always my "waaaaait for it!" moment on the original track. That's when the song really goes into overdrive for me.
gsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
ewok.online
CATHERINE

ewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond reputeewok.online has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, once I get the drums I'll start building it up more, filler parts, etc.

I LOVE the SM7. I wish I had one here. But the mic on those vocals was a Samson (I shit you not) C03. Just a $100 large-diaphragm condenser. I have a pair, and I always use them as drum overheads, too.

Just used an LA-2A in pro tools, added a lick of delay, done.

Faith restored, stay out of the fucking canyon, climb down from the goddamn plateau.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #29
GoodSkanky
Still Dreaming Wide Awake!

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Word, I've been strangely wanting a telecaster... and am attracted to the concept of these reissued '72 deluxes with the strat neck....
Spoiler:

Anyone play these or try them... are they good?
GoodSkanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #30
gsmile
The Mass Dullness

gsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to allgsmile is a name known to all

Damn, that Tele looks fucking sexy with the Strat neck. I love the feel of Tele's, but hate the whimpy looking neck. This solves that problem. Where do I sign up???
gsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #31
GoodSkanky

GoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond reputeGoodSkanky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmile View Post
Damn, that Tele looks fucking sexy with the Strat neck. I love the feel of Tele's, but hate the whimpy looking neck. This solves that problem. Where do I sign up???
That's what I'm saying... I'm a percussion person normally, so I don't really know the major quality differences with all the Tele American Special, Customs, MIMs, etc. I know some are better than others, so I don't know about these.

They're about $749 CDN at Long & McQuade, but haven't heard lots about them!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #32
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Word, I've been strangely wanting a telecaster... and am attracted to the concept of these reissued '72 deluxes with the strat neck....
Spoiler:

Anyone play these or try them... are they good?
I borrowed my friend's one of these a couple of weeks ago. Pretty sweet guitar.

I'm a Tele man myself, use it pretty much all the time, I love the jangle sound of it.

Now this one, although looking much like a Tele doesn't sound a whole lot like one at all, pretty much due to the humbuckers instead of the single coils. So if you want the Tele sound, then you're not going to get it with this guitar. But you will get a pretty sweet humbucker sound.

The other thing that I like about this guitar that standard tele's don't have is that the back of the guitar is contoured, much like a Strat so it fits nice and snug to your body. This is the only picture that I could find that shows this:

I love the 70's large style headstock as well, I know it's just asthetic but it's still cool.
lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #33
lukin
I'm talking ace

lukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant futurelukin has a brilliant future

Oh, and if it's good enough for Thom Yorke, then it's good enough for me...

He used it quite a bit on the OK Computer tour.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #34
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin View Post
I borrowed my friend's one of these a couple of weeks ago. Pretty sweet guitar.

I'm a Tele man myself, use it pretty much all the time, I love the jangle sound of it.

Now this one, although looking much like a Tele doesn't sound a whole lot like one at all, pretty much due to the humbuckers instead of the single coils. So if you want the Tele sound, then you're not going to get it with this guitar. But you will get a pretty sweet humbucker sound.

The other thing that I like about this guitar that standard tele's don't have is that the back of the guitar is contoured, much like a Strat so it fits nice and snug to your body. This is the only picture that I could find that shows this:

I love the 70's large style headstock as well, I know it's just asthetic but it's still cool.
Thanks for this! I know what you mean with the humbucker thing... so my next question is...

How does the jangly tele sound differ from the strat sounds using single coils?

Like you said... if it's good enough for Thom... I'm in. And the neck looks sweet! It's gotta look cool... no more pointy 80s metal headstocks for me!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #35
lukin
I'm talking ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSkanky View Post
Thanks for this! I know what you mean with the humbucker thing... so my next question is...

How does the jangly tele sound differ from the strat sounds using single coils?

Like you said... if it's good enough for Thom... I'm in. And the neck looks sweet! It's gotta look cool... no more pointy 80s metal headstocks for me!
Well the lipstick pickup on the neck is definitely different (although I don't use it too often, usually I just use the bridge pickup and roll the tone knob back slightly to take just a little bit of the brightness off). To be honest I don't know exactly what the difference is between the single coil bridge pickup itself on a Tele compared to a Strat. Really though it's a whole combination of factors, a lot of it is to do with the bridge and the metal plate under the bridge pickup. Also, the angle of the pickup is sharper than that of a Strat which again probably has something to do with it.

Here's the beauty that I have:
Spoiler:

I bought it back in 2005 and then I was using it on about half of my songs. The other half were either played on a Squier Strat (which actually sounds surprisingly good for such a cheap guitar), an Epiphone Les Paul (which I never touch anymore) and my Taylor Big Baby acoustic.
On Friday I played a gig and used the Tele on all 10 songs. They say that Strats are versatile but I actually find the Tele extremely versatile. Some of our stuff gets pretty heavy and then there was a song that was always played on acoustic but I've even switched that to the Tele because it sounds so nice. I really need another one and a guitar tech though because I use too many alternate tunings.

This is the guitar that I am really wanting at the moment though. It's a different sound to the Tele (because I want something different) but the P90 has a bit more bite to it than a standard humbucker so it's not a million miles away.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #36
lukin
I'm talking ace

Oh, and the other good thing about that '72 Tele Deluxe is that it has a tremolo arm as well.

Well, the one in the picture you posted doesn't because it's an original, but the reissues do.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #37
GoodSkanky

That's very helpful... I may lose the neck fetish and go with the actual Tele..

But if not... I hope the Deluxe doesn't have a floating bridge! That's half the reason I want to new axe is b/c changing strings and tuning takes so much longer!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #38
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Most of the Deluxes I've seen have a solidtail bridge with the string-through body like a regular Tele. Either with the big plate for the single-coil, or a fixed Strat-style for the humbuckers.

Speaking of tremolos, I've been looking into this thing called a Vibratrem. It allows you to add a Bigsby trem to any guitar with a Tune-O-Matic style bridge without drilling any holes in your guitar. You bolt the Bigsby to this metal plate (that's what the Vibratrem actually is), and then put two bolts into where the stop bar would be. Pretty cool, and it takes minutes to take on or off.

http://www.vibramate.com/

Very cool. I'd love to have the option to make my SG a tremolo guitar in 5 minutes.
Spoiler:

Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #39
GoodSkanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok.online View Post
Most of the Deluxes I've seen have a solidtail bridge with the string-through body like a regular Tele. Either with the big plate for the single-coil, or a fixed Strat-style for the humbuckers.

Speaking of tremolos, I've been looking into this thing called a Vibratrem. It allows you to add a Bigsby trem to any guitar with a Tune-O-Matic style bridge without drilling any holes in your guitar. You bolt the Bigsby to this metal plate (that's what the Vibratrem actually is), and then put two bolts into where the stop bar would be. Pretty cool, and it takes minutes to take on or off.

http://www.vibramate.com/

Very cool. I'd love to have the option to make my SG a tremolo guitar in 5 minutes.
Spoiler:
Could be cool... and thanks for the photo ad.... who knows what would have come up if I had typed "vibramate" into google!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #40
ewok.online
CATHERINE

I just realized I said "vibratrem" in my description, which is a totally different thing. A pedal made by Marshall. I am a WINNER.

And yeah, the name "Vibramate" makes me giggle. Kind of like when I was 14 and thought it was hilarious to say "I like to plug the Electric Mistress (flanger) into the Big Muff." Wait... still funny.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 AM   #41
lukin
I'm talking ace

Just got myself this. Very excited.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #42
GoodSkanky

nice... still haven't bought an axe... just a dream... still. I have too much percussion stuff I need for work.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #43
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Niiiiiiiiiiiice.

LP Jr's are the shit.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #44
lukin
I'm talking ace

I know the title of this thread is for electric guitars, but I'm just going to put this here anyway. I want.
http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...custom-guitar/
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #45
ewok.online
CATHERINE

Very cool.

I've never had any want for a parlor-style acoustic. I like my big square-shouldered Guild.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #46
GoodSkanky

Played the Fender 72 Tele Deluxe today... it will be mine by summer.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #47
GoodSkanky

Spoiler:

My midlife crisis... began yesterday. Just put my order in for this. Played it a couple weeks ago and rather liked it. No luck getting any trade for my old axes though. 10-14 days to wait.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #48
ewok.online
CATHERINE

you won't regret it, man.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #49
J_Bizness

J_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to beholdJ_Bizness is a splendid one to behold

Nice man! I want a tele bad
J_Bizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #50
GoodSkanky

I know this one has humbuckers compared to the other teles, but the neck rules, I like the warmer tones... it's kind of like a tele trying to be a Fender version of an SG or something. It's gonna be sweet.

I'm gonna dick around with this as is, but will probably need to have it set up for heavier strings. I prefer .10's.
Sponsored Links